main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluelantern714

bluelantern714 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2013
    Everyone that can should participate in the #SaveTheCloneWars Twitter protest tomorrow at 12:30 ET.

VMeran, Watto and Random Comments like this.
  2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thanks for the reminder. What kind of content do we think is best for the tweets?

I always address to @ disney @ starwars and include #SaveTheCloneWars. I try to get something creative and attention getting in there, without being nasty. I also try to include pics or links to some kind of creative fan Clone Wars media.

3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    One of my #SaveTheCloneWars tweets from the protest earlier today. I borrowed the Lego Rex from another twitter person:

[​IMG]
    @Disney@starwars GIVE US CAPT REX'S STORY as @dave_filoni & @deebradleybaker intended #SaveTheCloneWars

4. bluelantern714

bluelantern714 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2013
    Love it. Creative tweets like that are the best. I know we can do better next week and get #SaveTheCloneWars trending! Just ten minutes out of everyone's day would be great.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Watto to be honest I'm a little pissed - I feel like the whole professional TCW infrastructure failed to let us know the series was on the guillotine until it was already decapitated, and then we hear the rumors of whining from some of the team that there wasn't enough protest when they didn't tell us anything worth protesting was going down until it was too late.

6. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    A lot of the time shows don't know they are about to be axed. It just happens. In TCW's case, it may be slightly different as there was clearly negotiations going on behind the scenes regarding existing material.

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Even if they knew, Disney may have forced them to stay silent about it.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Its not normal at all considering the conflicting information about TCW having seasons 7 and 8 in production with voice recording work going on right until the show was axed and Dave Filoni's confidence in all interviews leading up. Yet it seems to me they had to have known or suspected something. I still gotta wonder about the changes to the ending of the Ahsoka fugitive arc that happened as late a December and the old tweet of Brian Friedman working on the ending. Might they have tried to rush an arc into production in case? I think Dark Lord Tarkas was among the first to predict cancellation might happen when Disney bought LucasFilm. I was teasing users for making 'sky is falling' type posts back then myself. Should have known back then...

I'm still a bit angry and really want to see remaining material released. I'll participate and support every campaign but I'm starting to come to terms with the direction things are going. Disney is going to bring us into a new age with a wealth of content a little ways around down the road. The franchise will likely be even more commercialized with lots of spin off movies and a new TV shows every other year kinda like Marvel and Transformer. However this fandom is massive so there will always be much to talk about which should make it enjoyable. I think I'm finally starting to get excited from the ST and realize what I want from it.

I doubt when TCW was cancelled it was looked far enough into to determine if arcs might constrict or contradict all these spin off movies rumors (cuz it seems like everyone and their moms are being considered right now). It might come down to what would create more questions. Then again the Boba Fett/ Cad Bane arc is described to cover the fates of these characters with in the show.

The focus is just changing to the ST era with way more OT referencs which if that rumor draft is true apparently attracts more 18-40 year olds. That sounds misguided for nostalgia with the lower parts of that age group. Nostalgia encompasses what someone saw first or more of, usually around 5 years old. I'm fairly sure anyone born around 1994 is more likely to have grown up with the PT and thus would have a stronger sense of nostalgia for it in their early 20s than they would the OT. But what do I know. That is unless they were introduced to the OT first. Similarly when the folks born around 2003 hit their 20s TCW will likely be a nostalgic to them as Nicktoon and Power Rangers are to me. I dunno about that and I'm starting to consider a poll on that subject. Sounds like one big plot to get those ages into the Disney theme parks still to the cynic in me. I would think they're math my be wrong They'll come back to that era eventually in 10-20 years then.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Disney (incorrectly) thinks nostalgic = Lucas basher

10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Don't be too pissed at Lucasfilm... Keep in mind that the random report about the animation team thinking fans didn't protest enough was reported only by Eric Geller on TFN and he quickly edited his story to remove that bit... Apparently it was only one source in the company who said that. Think about it, they were upset they lost their job, so they were lashing out.

Regarding knowing the end was near, all signs point to Disney pulling the rug from under Dave and Lucasfilm animation without much notice. It's possible they just knew that a decision hadn't been made on where to air, so they were in the same boat as us.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Moving this discussion from the season 6 spoiler free thread which I think is likely off topic for this. I scoped out various stores today to find out for myself if TCW is indeed as scarce on the shelves as people fear. Pics! Sorry for the bad quality.

First up. Target #1.
    [​IMG]
    No seasons but Galaxy Divided can be yours for $5usd

Second store is the big SuperTarget near me which tends to be better than regular old Target one. Now both of these stores seems a bit understocked to start in the DVD section.
    [​IMG]
    Same story as Target #1. I had an employee come up and offer to assist me so I asked off the cuff if they had to pull any SW merch recently and the employee ofcourse didn't know.

Store number three is the MovieStop, that's a sister store the GameStop. They had one new copy of S2 on DVD and S3 on Blu-ray left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Store number four is one of the two Bestbuys near me. This one tends to have a crappy DVD/ Blu-ray section to start with. Only found Darth Maul Returns there.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, the SuperWalmart. They just got S1. Interesting some of the copies they have there have the slip cover and others don't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wait a minute, is that sitting in the place Harry Potter is supposed to go? =b

It does appear that the seasons are not in stock in Target since both stores don't have them and they do seem rare at the moment. However I recall the TCW sets are normally not easy to find in stores.

And here is some of the other merch I've been seeing at Target lately. Perhaps we should start buying this stuff. The bowls with Rex, Wolffe, and Cody are awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Now I know I am not the only crazy guy wandering around big box stores looking to check the TCW inventory situation! :p I checked every Walmart in a 20 mile radius yesterday, nothing but Season 1 blu-ray sets, and strange enough, one of them had 5 copies of the original 2009 Season 1 blu-ray set that opens like a book AND the 2011 reissue in the streamlined case. Target still nothing. No one seems to know anything and they definitely now have me pegged as the SW fanboy. lol Are all those plates and bowls at Target? What section did you find them in? Thanks for the pics, btw.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Darth_Quintonis

I just hit four nearby stores which wasn't any big deal. Old stock being on the shelves is normal for both Walmart and Bestbuy who regularly have Disney stuff supposed to be back in the vaults. NP. The bowls were in the dinnerware section of Target or something like that. Near where they sell glasses.

14. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Hey guys, not to derail the thread, but I came here to check a private conversation/PM thing, and noticed some responses to my post about leaving, so I thought I might explain some things (though I can't guarantee a response to responses to this, for reasons which will be made apparent below). No need to be defensive... I'm only offering some insight into how I, as a different human being than you, operate, and you might just take it in; I know myself pretty well, and don't plan on changing any of this any time soon. Besides, understanding other human beings is kind of the only thing holding civilization together, after all...

- After I left, there was a bit of passive-aggression and sarcasm about posts by people who don't like reading negative comments. Many folks seem to defend the rights of expression of those who dislike things, and oftentimes, what's being defended is not simply a reasonable expression of distaste, but being dismissive or down-talking directly to those who DO enjoy those things. Where I'm from, that's just not socially acceptable. When I have a conversation with someone, I focus on what we have in common... not what we don't. I'm not a lesser person if I prefer that sort of conversation; it's actually quite standard. Really, you shouldn't have to be so ballsy just to have a conversation about Star Wars; that's middle-school stuff, and it's exhausting. Maybe it's within the forum rules to behave that way, but that doesn't mean it's the only way... or that it's beneficial.

- As for me, personally? The main reason I don't like that negativity is that I have lots of issues with depression, anxiety, and OCD. Star Wars is my happy place. When I come here, Star Wars is not the happy place I'm looking for. Some say that's the internet in general, but that's entirely false; the SW tabletop RP community on D20 Radio is super positive and polite, for one... and even some unmoderated comment threads on news aggregators (a'la Nerdist) are ultra-sincere and positive. I've realized that much of the Star Wars fan community is fueled by anger, but my fandom isn't. It's fueled by love. I don't care whether the Vong or Killiks or D-Squad or any of that stuff is crappier than the rest; it's still Star Wars, and I love all that junk regardless of relative quality. So, I'd rather enjoy it alone than sort through pages of mocking comments just to find others like myself.*

- A little explanation of that taste issue: I used to be the worst kind of elitist hipster douche. I was into higher-art cinema than many of you would ever care to see... and I don't say that to brag. It was a phase, but I did find some cinematic gems in that phase, like Fellini and Truffaut and Wim Wenders... super sincere filmmakers with a lust for life. When I really started having emotional trouble, though, I realized that Star Wars was the sort of thing that had been missing in my life from about age 17 to 23, and all that stuff lead right back to where it began... and since then, I've loved Star Wars more than ever. However, that critical perspective also made me see the artistic flaws of the series, and I saw that those flaws were there from the very beginning, and they're a part of the experience. Thus, it's hard to be a critic of a series whose strengths are things like moral simplicity and a general (if vague) galactic vastness, and not.... yunno... nuanced acting or writing. I don't even understand having a favorite (or least-favorite) character; it's all part of the whole for me. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but having been to the depths of amateur film criticism, a word to the wise: there's no virtue in overusing your critical muscles. It might make you feel good about your tastes, but remember, there's always somebody else out there who thinks that everything you love is stupid. And yunno what? That person is stupid. Everything is so completely subjective that all criticism beyond the basic is just sadly self-congratulatory. So, be the smart guy who realizes it's all subjective... not the stupid guy who thinks there's a right answer to questions of taste.

That's just my position, but I'm sure there are others who have smaller or larger doses of the above, and other issues entirely, and those are all totally valid. When somebody says they're put off by negative comments, why get defensive or snarky? It's really not that unusual. Don't talk down to them. Maybe they simply know how their brains work, and they're doing what they have to do to keep their brains working properly. I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't dealt with mental/chemical/emotional issues to understand firsthand, but you can still try to understand.

*Note: if I were speaking entirely selfishly, I'd add: I don't like reading negativity about Star Wars... because it's not freaking worth it. :cool:

15. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Just so I don't take up space quoting Seerow's post, just want to say that the clone trooper plate is something I bought awhile ago and it is awesome.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I went to Walmart at lunch today (not for research, just to run errands) and I stopped by the DVD section because of these recent posts, out of curiosity. They had no copies of any TCW DVDs or Blu-Rays on the shelves, but they did ironically have a big sign above the shelves that said "Television Series: Star Wars: The Clone Wars", and had a picture of Rex, Darth Maul, and Cad Bane on it. It was one of three different signs that together ran the full length of the TV series DVD/Blu-Ray section.

rumblewagon and Random Comments like this.
  17. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Well, no TCW signs in any of my Walmarts. :( And no TCW plates, bowls or cups at Target. :(

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, dude, that's your prerogative and nobody has to leave the site. If it's fun for you, stay, if it's not, you have to make those decisions for yourself.

And you can always use the "ignore" button and those posts that you don't like? They never appear in your feed. I have three people on ignore I believe, some people have more than that. It's a cool feature that we didn't have on the old server; I used to make my eyes glaze over some people's posts. :p

Back on topic, really, guys, I don't think a disappearance from either Wal-Mart or Target or any other big-box retailer means that Disney has put the lock-and-key on TCW. When it disappears off Amazon, I'll be more concerned.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't concerned... was just reporting my observations. :p

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I can attest to that. [face_devil]

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, I've never used the ignore feature. Must be some morbid curiosity, wanting to see everything. :p

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think Amazon would be a more reliable marker for it these sets are out of production thus not being sold or have been pulled off shelves. Amazon will probably be selling the TCW Blu-rays for years to come either way. They always have old stuff, quite often with the 'Amazon Prime' stamp on them.

23. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    My Target's fully stocked:
    [​IMG]

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And Ahsoka is a character kids love, apparently.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Indubitably.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.