main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    The library supposedly had a fire that caused an explosion. Now they think it is unrelated...maybe.

It is probably another homegrown nut job that did this. Today is tax day, maybe it is an anti government crazy. I hope they caught him. Supposedly someone is in custody.

I hope everybody here got in contact with family and friends that were at the race and they are alright.

Five minutes after it is reported that somebody was in custody, now it is reported that nobody is in custody. I think it will be days before anybody can report anything with any accuracy.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm still trying to get in contact with some friends and my cousins. It's very hard to make sure everyone's safe when so many friends are still in Boston.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hope you got a hold of your friends, Ish.

I was watching at mile 20 and stayed pretty late so I didn't hear until a friend who knew I was at the marathon texted me. (I was really confused when he asked if I was okay and I didn't yet know what was going on.) The very next thing I did was call my mom before she had the chance to flip out.

earlybird-obi-wan and Iverna like this.
  4. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    It's funny, how you don't know the amount of people you know and care about until something like this happens. Spent most the day checking my cellphone, twitter, Facebook, and the news. I learned that my favorite soccer player was there when it happened; he's my idol, from childhood. His family was with him, but his father-in-law got hit bad. It's awful to think about. My uncle's been activated to help the BPD. Just never thought it would happen in Boston :(.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Glad to hear you're okay, mav. I got worried when I remembered that you mentioned going to the marathon to support your friend. Is your friend okay?

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Glad you're okay, Mav. Our usual spot was in Wellesley for my family, but it moved around depending on the years. I know I'm going to be holding off on writing anything traumatic for a few days.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That reminds me of the 9-11 attacks. I check my voice mail and my mother-in-law was asking if my husband was involved in the mess that was going on on TV. I was confused. I didn't have the TV on all morning. I turn it on and see NY was attacked, but he was stationed in Washington DC...so why would she think he was in trouble? I call him up and he said, "She probably was worried that I was in the Pentagon today." I said, "What happened to the Pentagon?!" I was lucky that I was totally clueless that morning or I would have been freaked.

I have to say I am totally impressed with the response of the people in Boston. They are opening up their homes to runners. It is heartwarming. People are at their very best when things are the very worst.

Good news is I was told that the Marathon team from the university I graduated from were all fine and all the Boy Scouts and leaders that were volunteering for the event are also safe. I didn't know anybody personally, but you always feel a connection to people from organizations you belong to.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love reading the googledoc of homes being opened, everything from 2 guest rooms in wellesley to a dorm at northeastern. I love my city.

And j_l, I know that feeling. I was freaked out about NYC and the pentagon until my dad called to yell at me for not realizing he was supposed to be on one of the hijacked planes. He went to Thailand on business at the last minute instead.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    How the city responded and pulled together is the real story. I hope the media stops showing the damn explosion and starts putting a spotlight on the heroes. Don't let the terrorist be the story. Don't give him/her the attention. Show how when disaster struck we saw dozens and dozens of emergency personnel running towards the blast with no concern for their own safety. Show the people volunteering their homes to racers, show the restaurants donating food and water, and how social media helped bring families together. The story is how the people of Boston responded. That is what I want to see on the TV...not the explosion on a video loop while reporters report that they don't know anything officially...but they are going to take an educated guess as to what might have happened and who might have done this. o_O

Oh yeah...I also want to say that these people are kriff'n crazy: http://www.examiner.com/article/wes...otest-funerals-of-those-killed-boston-bombing

mavjade likes this.
  10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't believe that the WBC are still allowed to be on twitter. I thought there was a rule against hate preaching and promoting hate and violence. *smh*

My sympathies go to those who lost a loved one and those who are hurt.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    [:D]to all those who are involved in this tragedy.
    I am a runner myself and was at the Rotterdam marathon. It could have happened there.
    It reminded me immediately of the 9-11 attacks and more of those terrible events.
    With the crowning ceremony of our king coming the media were frenzy here about the safety in Amsterdam

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm glad everyone on here is fine. I saw my friend today whose mom was in it. She was apparently like 10-20 minutes away from the finish line when the explosions went off.

But I agree, the media is covering the negative instead of the positive, which is typical of our media.

And the WBC makes me sick as a Christian. Another Christian friend of mine showed their plans to me. People are allowed to have their opinions, but to take action as to picket a funeral is just wrong and goes against my personal theology.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    WBC is the opposite of what it is to be a good Christian.

Iverna likes this.
  14. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I saw that on George Takei's facebook. I approved of it :D

If the Boston Marathon bombing was the result of God punishing the state for legalizing same-sex marriage, then why hasn't Canada gone to hell? The last province to legalize same sex marriage in Canada was Quebec in 2004:p. Oh wait. We're just bunch of heathens because we allow abortion and have universal health care.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Because the WBC members aren't allowed into Canada? IDK.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I wouldn't let them into the UK if it were up to me. But then I wouldn't let them in anywhere else either. I'd put them on a boat in international waters, maybe off the coast of Somalia.

Jedi_Lover and Krayt-Eagle like this.
  18. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh wow, I'm glad you guys are okay. What a horrific thing to happen. I did love seeing the responses from others, though - it proves that while there are some crazies out there, most people are basically good and kind and helpful.

I read an article a while back where a former WBC member, one of the founder's grandkids I think, talked about her experience there. She left, but it took a lot of doing on her part. It was a very touching story, actually. Made me understand them a lot better.

Still - WBC are the opposite of what it is to be a good person, period. And that's all I'll say about them, because the less attention they get, the better. This is about the people affected by a senseless tragedy.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  20. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Haha, win. I love that.

There's an interview floating around out there with one of them and a member of Anonymous. Worth watching just for the bit where he tells her that his sins are over 9000, and that they're hacking the WBC site as they speak. They did, too. Left her a message on her own website, all during the interview. It's pretty lulzy, if you can get past the bile she spews.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Every time things like this happen, the media gives exactly what the perpetrators want. Images of the terror shown over and over again. The thing that makes me angry is the people already pointing fingers. One b* is saying that it may have been done by those who protest taxes since it was done on tax weekend. I mean, really, if I were someone to do such a thing, I wouldn't be bombing innocents who may support what I have to say, I'd be bombing some federal agency such as IRS offices. Not that I would do such a thing, as I believe doing these terrorist acts are cowardly and counterproductive.

Another thing that angers me is some jerk took an episode of Family Guy that was aired a couple weeks ago and edited it so that it seemed that the makers of that show predicted the Boston bombing. Now Fox removed the episode from their website because of it and doesn't plan on re-airing it any time soon. I saw that episode, and there was a scene where idiot Peter used a car to run over any people in his way at the Boston Marathon, then later he befriended a Muslim whom he was not aware was planning on blowing up a bridge. The bombing scene had nothing to do with the Boston Marathon, yet how the person edited it made it seem like it was.

Why do people do that kind of thing? It's almost as shameful as as the terrorist act.

Oh, and anything Anonymous can do to WBC is well deserved. LOL

Iverna likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey, I think that was me that said that. I agree it would make more sense to attack the IRS offices, but it wouldn't give you as much publicity. If they are crazy enough to blow up people, then don't expect them to pick a target that makes sense.

The news said somebody is in custody...but half the time I think the media is reporting stuff they see on Twitter.

23. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Completely agree. Honestly though, it's what people want to see. Carnage and destruction drive up the views, that's how it's been since the dawn of humanity. But it's counterproductive and harmful to give all that attention to the actual crime, just like when shooters and other criminals become famous. People want attention and see how to get it, it's not a good setup.

It seems to be calming down now, but rumours went around like wildfire for a while there. That's the downside to the internet, anyone can just say something on Twitter and it might get picked up.

Alexis_Wingstar likes this.
  24. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    My glasses came and now I have to get used to how to shift my gaze through them for different uses reading/normal/far away,as they are tri-focals. I was astonished when I first put them on. I could have sworn I was seeing the optometrist clearly without them, but all of a sudden it was like a veil was lifted and he was much closer. LOL

Jedi_Lover and Iverna like this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just got a lesson in irony. The boys are at a scout meeting and they are working on this new merit badge with their troop called Disability Awareness. So the troop in going into great depth about how you should be understanding and courteous to children with a disability and you should be sensitive to the situation. Meaning don't be treating disabled people different or discourteously point out the disability to classmates to make them uncomfortable. Basically be a friend and not a jerk. So one part of the badge requirements says "Talk to a disabled scout and ask them how they adapted when doing certain scout events"...or something like that.

So my older son yells out, "Ask my brother. He has cerebral Palsy." Well, that is a very sensitive subject to my younger son who is very good at hiding the fact that he can't use his right hand very well. He gets upset and tells his older brother to shut up. But since the older brother has ADHD and some sort of defiant disorder he doesn't shut up. So the younger brother grabs the Disability Awareness merit badge book and using his strong hand swings it into his brother's face telling him to "Shut up! You have ADHD that's a disability...you tell them about yourself." And the older son didn't want that revealed so he punches his younger brother...and I have to break up the fight. They basically did the opposite of what we were trying to teach.

And when we were going home I discussed my disability which is chronic panic attacks and how they just triggered my problem. They went home and went straight to bed. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.