main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Hmmm....Watchmen, Sandman, Green Lantern, Superman, Batman...yeah...

2. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    having said that Marvel is better, i believe The X-Men and Batman are the 2 best. the amount of top-notch villains that these 2 have is what sets them apart from the others.

Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Mister Sinister, Shadow King, Sabretooth, The Brotherhood, The Four Horsemen, Juggernaut, Pyro, Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, Avalanche, The Blob, The Sentinels, Master Mold, Sebastian Shaw, Omega Red, HOMO-SAPIENS, and on and on and on and on.

The Joker, Ra's Al-Ghul, Two-Face, The Penguin, Hugo Strange, Catwoman, Bane, The Riddler, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, The Mad Hatter, Victor Zsasz, Harley Quinn, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Talia Al-Ghul, etc etc etc

the amount of GREAT villains is what sets them apart.

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I never got the appeal of fantatsic four, but I believe reed richards fans, are the characters fans because of who he is not his powers (though his powers do make up an important part of him)

In Generation X, Skin had crappy powers compaired to Chamber, M, Husk, Jubilee, and Synch, but he didnt let that stop him from using them in ways that suprised his opponents.

I believe Plastic man is functionaly immortal.

4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012

Reed Richards is an awesome character.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When talking villains, you can't leave out Spider-Man:
    Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Venom, Hobgoblin, Sandman, Electro, Kingpin, Shocker, Carnage, Rhino, Morbius, Lizard, Scorpion, Vulture, Chameleon, Jackal, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, Hammerhead... And that's just off the top of my head.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Spidey has a great rogues gallery, could very well top even Batmans...

I also like the Flashes Rogues, theyre kinda lame with their over the top costumes but under all that theyre also very cool.

7. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Nothing about The Flash is cool.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    At least he doesn't have Stretch Armstrong powers.

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    don't forget Hydro-Man, The Beatle, Vermin, Cardiac, Tarantula, Puma, Black Cat, Silvermane, Styx n Stone, Molten Man, Mr Negative, Jack O Lantern, Calypso, or Tombston but you nailed all his A list villains

what about Paste Pot Pete, always a total jobber

[​IMG]

10. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Everything about the Flash is cool.. Especially Wally West Flash...

11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So I'm coming from the ignorant film crowd, as I'm not a big reader of comics (though I have scoured the huge wikis every now and then).

In terms of film, Marvel easily wins. DC has two brilliant franchises; Batman and Superman. The Watchmen film was strong too. Marvel, on the other hand, pretty much revitalized the superhero film genre with the original X-Men film. Now we have a trilogy and a great prequel (and a terrible Wolverine origin story), with another prequel-sequel forthcoming.

There's four Spider-Man films, two Iron Man films, Thor, Captain America. Oh, and the Avengers. All of these films are due to get sequels in the next three years. Given Marvel's success, I have confidence in Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man too. Maybe we could even get a good Fantastic Four movie in it's reboot. EDIT: I forgot about the Hulk!

I know DC is creating their own "Cinematic Universe" starting with Man of Steel, so maybe they'll step their game up.

For now - Marvel takes it.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ^ And Watchmen is Vertigo, which although owned by DC is still Vertigo. So can't really credit the goodness of that film to DC.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Also, let's be honest. Watchmen was pretty terrible, so why would you want to take credit for that.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Ok wocky now you are just being ridiculous.

15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Watchmen the movie by Zach Snyder was terrible, yes.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh, yes I'm sorry. EBB's correction should stand. I have nothing against the comic book series as I know nothing about it. But that was a stupid movie . Ye gods.

17. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well then yes the movie was awful. As you were...

18. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Watchmen was definitely not good at all. Sometimes when its on HBO or something ill put it on and it makes me irritated to no end.

I kinda feel Snyder is a Hack. Sucker Punch, ugh!! id rather watch a French version of the English Patient in subtitles.

19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    The movie was terrible - but did you read the book?

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    To be fair, Watchmen was penned long before DC coined Vertigo. But of course it definitely fits the tone of that line.

The movie was an extremely truncated version of the book but more or less faithful to the source material (except I'm not sure whether the villain's endgame at the end was better or worse than in the book, since I liked neither, TBH). I haven't seen the ultimate or director's cuts of the movie so I don't know how much these "fix" or add stuff left on the cutting room floor. I obviously prefer the book, it is an extremely dense and layered tome that anyone with the slightest interest in the medium should read once. However, knowing you Wocky, you probably won't be able to stomach the graphic novel version of which you know nothing about since it's so comic booky and all.

Frank T. likes this.
  21. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    i'm sure this will not be received well, but i could never cared about any of the Spiderman villains sans Venom.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Spidey has a Rogues' Gallery a few miles long, that can easily surpass any hero's, even Batman's. Venom and his...clones...are just a small part of it. While I at first found the original version of the character impressive, too much overexposure over a small period of time -- and later the clones (i.e. Carnage & Co.) and subsequent transformations/host changes - diminished the character, IMO.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    DC, of course.

Watchmen, probably the best comic book movie ever made, is DC, not Vertigo.

24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I say the definitive Marvel jobbers are the Wrecking Crew:

[​IMG]

25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Venom is one of the most over-used and over-rated villains in all of comics, and there are many far more interesting villains in Spidey's rogues gallery.