main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How would you feel if Steven Spielberg directed VIII or IX?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Feelicks, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Is your avatar a woman eating a cat?

yodasbum likes this.
  2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I think that Steven would be a great Star Wars director for films with a tone like A New Hope or Phantom. Maybe not as good a choice for an Empire or Sith. However, if he has a bad script like Indy IV (bad script in my opinion) then I don't even think that he can save it. I think his directing fee would rule him out of any future Star Wars gig even if he wanted it which I suspect that he doesn't anymore considering the quotes he has come out with.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    There's a big difference between a single bit of bad science to deliever a needed result (red matter) vs willfully ignoring all of physics through out an entire movie just to deliever an Aerosmith song set to a Bruce Willis death scene... That's right you have to kill all of science to get Bruce Willis to die hard.

Next off The Rock and Bad Boys where movies more about awesome line delievery always trying to blow away the last line in awesomeness, both movies where so cliched you could see how every twist would turn out minutes prior... they aimed at low intelligence and delieved, as Obi-wan said "Good Job.". Star Trek aimed at a higher level and delievered, but upsetted a hard core fan base by slightly 'Star Warsizing' it... which just goes to show you how right JJ Abrams could be if they're aiming for something akin to Episode IV. Plus unlike Michael Bay he has experience with TV shows and will likely help produce any tv episodes that lead up to Episode VII.

I'd even take Spielberg over Bay (and I'm very against Spielberg), since even if one considered Bay good at one point he's fallen a far greater ammount from his peak (which was never that high to brgin with) than Spielberg did with even Indy IV vs his best movies. Plus Spielberg too, has experience with TV.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should get Steven Soderbergh to direct...

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Yes.

6. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Does she eat a cat every time I masturbate? Is she god? Is this conversation proper?

[​IMG]

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I say Nah......

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I sense the dark side has clouded the issue :rolleyes:

Darth kRud likes this.
  9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Quote: How would you feel if Steven Spielberg directed VIII or IX?

I would be happy. Will he ever? Probably not, though.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd be happy as long as Kate Capshaw isn't cast.

(Her daughter is fine for casting though; I loved Jessica Capshaw in Grey's Anatomy.)

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Arizona is Kate Capshaw's daughter? Holy ****! Did not know that.

12. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    She must have green eyes.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep.

And you watch Grey's? One more reason I like you. :*

14. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    She mostly just licks her kitty.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If she did I would sacrifice her to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin.

Not really, but I've probably seen every episode of the first six or seven seasons, none after that.

Darth kRud likes this.
  16. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Still kinda weird. Is it for shock value? I'm not a huge fan of cats so I don't really care. Just curious.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Nothing shocking about licking a cat.

18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Id like to see Spielberg direct a Star Wars film. If not an Episode, maybe a spin-off.......

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's come to this. Filmmakers can petition to have their films given the Criterion treatment. It's not all done by being selected.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Just want to point out that JJ Abrams actually wrote the screenplay for Armageddon ;)

Also, no, no, no, I'd say both Star Trek and Super 8 are far better movies than Armageddon. But it's all a matter of opinion of course.
    Also the Lost pilot - that's probably the best-directed pilot I've ever seen!

Darth Chiznuk and Ryus like this.
  21. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    single bit of bad science? I'm not even talking about science. I'm talking about writing. I'm saying they broke THEIR OWN RULES about Red Matter in the same film in which they explained them. (in case you didn't know, Red Matter isn't real ;) ) That is bad writing. And that is just one example. I can go on and on about how little sense the story makes in Star Trek. And that is without bringing old Star Trek into the mix. I'm talking about their own film is inconsistent from a story-telling and character motivation point-of-view. And yes, I can bring up how wrong their real science is as well. Like the way they handled creating an alternate universe through time travel. It is a terrible, terrible movie. The only reason people like it is "wow Karl Urban is awesome as Bones" and "so much action and explosions ooooooooo!" and they forgive all the other stupid crap in it.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind J.J. working on anything TV related for Star Wars. He's a good fit for TV. It's when he has to tell a story on film that he starts sucking. Though Alias went on for too long. He should've had a 3 season arc in mind and stuck with that. Oh well.

And speaking of aiming at low intelligence, that's J.J.'s Star Trek movie for you. Even that idiot at Red Letter Media said that the reason why J.J.'s Star Trek was so much better than the Prequel movies was because you didn't have to think. Yes, he hates the prequels because they make him think. And the reason he likes J.J.'s Star Trek is because it's exciting and he doesn't have to think about what's happening. There's your lowest common denominator at work right there.

And I think you missed the point of both The Rock and Bad Boys. :p

I just want to point out that I already pointed that out. o_O

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, so you did apparently. Sorry about that.

BTW, I loved Star Trek '09 - you don't have think, sure, but it's fantastic entertainment. Kind of like Star Wars :)
    Admitting that you like a movie that doesn't make you think doesn't make you stupid.

23. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, the problem is Star Trek is supposed to make you think. It's science fiction. But J.J.'s movie was an action film in space, not science fiction. It's everything that Star Trek isn't supposed to be.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought this thread was about Steven Spielberg directing Episode VIII. When did it turn into "J.J. sucks... aargh!"?

fishtailsam likes this.
  25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    He was told to do that though by Paramount so you cant hold that against him, and all the future Spock scenes where designed to make one think. So it didnt totally cop out. All you're really doing is stating why JJ is a good choice since Star Wars is an action film in space, yet your using a fallacy to go an extra step by stating that since Star Trek wasnt 'Star Trek' therefore Star Wars wont be 'Star Wars' under JJ which is a logic leap instead of looking at Star Trek 2009 and Star Wars and seeing if they're alike which is the logical way to view this.

So what if red matter was bad science, so was the death star. However the bad science there was no where near as bad space shuttles making it out of low earth orbit, splitting a comet in half with a nuke barely past its surface relative to size, giant space crystals, guns working in the vaccum of space, Nasa able to prevent this in a few months and not decades, the canyon on the comet, the fuel reserves of the suit the 'blew' the astronaughts back down, etc...

Your argument is akin to saying Abrams killed your childhood and now you dont trust him, fine good for you since that's your choice. However fact remains Star Trek 2009 was Star Wars IV with Star Trek characters and ships swapped in. JJAbrams is a good fit, please stop derailing this thread.

Darth_Pevra likes this.