main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Stormtroopers are NOT bad shooters...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Mar 29, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant that I think Son of a Bith was joking.

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Sorry, I misread your post.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    They are terrible shots

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I guarantee I was joking lol

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I always just figured they couldn't hit the "good guys" because the Force was with the good guys.

6. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea the Force was causing them to miss.

7. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I like the idea that they were specifically told not to kill the escapees but to let them get to their ship and flee so the Falcon would lead the Death Star straight to the Rebel's doorstep. I'll stick with that, anyway the stormtroopers can't be that bad shots, they steamed in and wiped out the crew of the Tantive in mere moments!!

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Stormtroopers were awesome in ANH, then slowly just became background cannon fodder. They raided a Rebel cruiser and took down lots of the crew. Sandcrawler, the Lars, and not to mention the banter. The Stormtroopers communicated quite a bit and were essentially the talkative types as found in THX-1138.

TESB? They really didn't do much. The Hoth battle was about the walkers, Bespin was guard duty and where we see multiple shots at Chewie miss before he dodges, and so on. ROTJ? Well they had the uppe rhand until the army of teddy bears took them down.

9. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    In AOTC, stormtroopers kick butt, in ROTS they kick butt except with Yoda and Obi-Wan, in ANH they kicked butt except with Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, in TESB they kicked butt on Hoth, in ROTJ, they kicked butt until the Ewokes handed them their butts. (My opinion is clonetroopers and stormtroopers are one in the same, so please don't try to "correct" me about it).

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    In fairness, they did pretty well when they faced unnamed opponents, especially the rebel troopers on the Tantive in the beginning of ANH. After that point, though, when we see them miss it's usually when they're shooting at named heroes (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, etc.) who kind of have to survive per the plot. For better or worse, it's even referred to as "the stormtrooper effect".

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've argued before that the way that stormtroopers have been made out to be the apex of bad marksmanship in fiction is really unfair. Their inability to hit main characters is just standard "plot armor", no different than in literally any other action movie. Yet for some reason, they're seen as exceptionally bad shots.

CT-867-5309 and eht13 like this.
  12. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I think in the Death Star escape the fact that they were "allowed to escape" does indeed cover it. If the troopers killed them then they wouldn't lead Vader/Tarkin to the Rebel base, hence the troopers would have orders not to kill them.

Leaving that aside (as I say, I think it covers the issue) garrison/internal security duty (as on the Death Star) would be assigned to less capable troopers, whereas Darth Vader's personal assault unit would (like the grenadier companies of musket battalions) be made up of the most capable soldiers.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They shoot just fine when they aim properly and aren't ordered to let the rebels escape so they can track them.

14. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    "Plot armour" I like it. I used to describe it as their force ability do bend the lasers away from them (ignore the issues of physics).

15. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I like the 'weapons are crap' theory. The Empire is focused in mass-producing soldiers, and aren't concerned about quality. Why would the spend the extra dough on a good gun which is just going in the hands of a cannon fodder soldier?

16. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    The Stormtroopers weren't cannon fodder though, they were the Empire's elite line troops. Sort of like the British Foot Guards. They'd have got the best of everything, and got anything they needed before the Imperial Army did.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, and I don't think cannon fodder would be given full body armor and helmets, either. It would be cheaper and simpler to just give them regular clothes. I know their armor couldn't withstand all direct hits, but it did help. Part of the reason for the armor and helmets was surely for the visual aspect... the scary and anonymous look of them would be a more imposing sight for anyone facing the Empire. But the cost associated with suiting them up like that, plus the cost of their training, seems to be more than what would be provided for true cannon fodder.

18. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    What's the non-EU position on the clone/not-clone status of the OT stormtroopers?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe people have pointed out that the stormtroopers seen in ANH vary noticably in size- suggesting that they're not all clones, or not all clones of the same person.

There was a magazine article back in the 70s which was the first source to mention stormtrooper clones. The info may have been copied from a Lucas interview- other articles from the same magazine (Star Wars Poster Monthly) were- like the one that explained how Vader got his injuries.

20. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    That's RIGHT! I've seen a scan of something from the ANH era that stated they were clones.

In my personal version of star wars, they are clones. Why would they stop manufacturing them?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think after an uprising on Kamino they started getting cautious about using the Kamino clones.

EU tends to give the proportion (during ANH era) as roughly 1/3 clones, 2/3 normal humans.

22. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well they cannot be be Jango Fett clones from the Grand Army of the Republic that's for sure. The clones were grown 10 years before the outbreak of the clone wars which places their beginnings around 32 BBY and they age twice as fast so by the Battle of Yavin they'd be 64 which is far too old to be a soldier. The Thrawn trilogy seems to suggest they were not clones because Thrawn suddenly finds the cloning cylinders and the New Republic gets all worried. Still the Thrawn trilogy is no longer a reliable source because it's from before the PT and therefore Zhan had no idea about the PT and Jango and the CIS etc. The official position I think is that it was a mix of new Fett clones, clones of different templates, conscripts and volunteers.

Is the Imperial Army actually canon though? It's suggested that the Imperial Army made up the bulk of the Imperial Infantry with the Stormtroopers being the elite best of the best as you said but I'm not sure that's how they were originally intended to be seen because (correct me if I'm wrong) we never actually see or even hear about the Imperial Army in the films. We only see Stormtroopers and this suggests to me that the Stormtrooper Corps was the infantry force (and canon fodder) of the Empire.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What about the various soldiers we see in grey-green? Like the AT-ST crews?

24. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Sure, the original clones aged fast and would be to old by the time the Battle of Yavin came around. But they're manufactured. They could make new ones ad infinitum.

I do remember the Thrawn cloning cylinders. As much as I like that trilogy, I was looking for a non-EU explaination.[/quote]

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Thing is "non-EU" is the films and... that's it. Everything else is an Expansion of the filmic Universe. Even pronouncements by Lucas.

So, if the films don't answer your question, only the EU can.