main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Parallels in the sequel trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by swcolts1277, Apr 16, 2013.

1. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't know if there is a thread for this or not, but I wanted to discuss the parallels between episodes in the saga and whether or not these will occur in the sequel trilogy. This may be lengthy.

First Episode in Trilogy
    -Features Tatooine
    -Battle at the end where a space station-type craft is destroyed
    -Scene where master dies and the apprentice cries out "No!"
    -Ends with victory celebration

Second Episode in Trilogy
    -Features bounty hunters
    -Utopian-type planet with a city surrounded by a weather element
    -Cliff-hanger ending
    -Hero gets right hand cut off
    -Ground battle with walkers
    -Space chase through asteroids

Third episode in Trilogy
    -Begins with the rescue of a main character
    -Giant space battle
    -Hero who got hand cut off gets revenge
    -Ends with montage of what else is happening throughout the galaxy

Those are what I can think of, any more? and will the sequels follow this pattern?

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I hope they don't parallel much... I'd hate for the ST to feel too predictable with those same parallels. How about bounty hunters in the EpVII, zero Tatooine, no hero getting a body part chopped off... the main parallels I'd want are the big space battle in the 3rd installment (only more like ROTJ's than ROTS's, as in there's more investment in the participants in the battle, and the battle itself, not just a couple Jedi and their Expendable Clones flying THROUGH a battle to reach a different objective), and maybe a celebration in one or two of the films.

I can't emphasize enough how much I want Tatooine to be wholly absent from the ST. The lone exception would be a MENTION of it, but never have it as a location in the films. Anakin hated it. Luke hated it. The cast & crew didn't exactly love filming in Tunisia for it. After Han's rescue, there's zero reason for Luke to ever go back there. It's a backwater world... while it's home to a bustling spaceport with a lot of seedy types, but there's plenty of other places in the galaxy that could feature similar hives of scum & villainy or remote locations or extreme environments--and twin-sun worlds should be abundant as well, if they want a 'twin sunset' image again.

kubricklynch and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    The three battles at the end of The Phantom Menace is also a direct parallel to the three battles at the end of Return of the Jedi. Also there's a Jedi funeral.

There are a lot of parallels, and I really hope the next films at least keeps that in mind. It wouldn't feel like Star Wars otherwise.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    would be a good reason to return to Tatooine

TreborSabreon likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    The new hero has to lose his hand. It's a tradition ;)

Ryus likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want them to be the exact same thing because I don't like any type of change whatsoever.

run_luke_run likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    50% of our galaxy has twin suns... how about another planet in Star Wars having twin suns. It's the norm in the real universe actually, so it just makes sense to have lots of Star Wars planets with two suns (or even three)

Toonimator likes this.
  8. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    No, it's NOT a good reason to go to Tatooine, as my post already explained (and Ryus further clarified)--lots of worlds orbit two stars. If the sequel-makers want the twin-sunset image, they can create a more hospitable world to set the scene on.

Ryus likes this.
  9. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    THey'll go to Tatoonie. Its a very important location to Star Wars, it would be like making a MIddle earth movie and not showing the Shire.

Of course one of the biggest ist he Hero Journey. I'm sure the ST will follow the conventions of the Hero Journey just like the PT and OT did.

10. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    One of the first things we learn about Tatooine--after it being a desolate place--is that it's supposed to be entirely unimportant and boring. It's the Small Town the hero comes from, but never really goes back to. He might visit it once more--as Luke did in ROTJ, as some from Emond's Field did in Wheel of Time--but then that's IT.

Its importance is dead. Home of the Chosen One, home of the Chosen One's kid, home of a major crimelord. Chosen One's dead, his son's moved on, the crimelord's dead. Tatooine now has no importance moving forward, outside of Mos Eisley as a spaceport & having twin suns for a neat visual--and both of those can be found, EASILY, elsewhere.

Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    For me, the single biggest tradition I hope to see included is the Skywalker father/son theme championed by Ian McDiarmid (and quoted in my signature). It sits at the heart of the saga and, for me, personally, is the one element which has meant more than any other. I've enjoyed some good discussions on the topic here, both with those who agree and with some who would see Luke have no child (and there are some who would rather like a daughter), and it's the one single thing I'd include if I were writing the ST.

I expect to see the hero's journey. I had the thought that if we get a "Jaina" along with a "Ben," it might be interesting to have sort of a of dual-protagonist role, which follows each character, eventually converging the two storylines in the end of IX. Now, I'm not certain it's a particularly 'Star Wars-y' idea (or a particularly good one, at that), but it did occur to me.

An ancient Sith world, whether they call it "Korriban," or not (they should), is just one of a whole new galaxy of systems I hope to see explored in the ST. That said, I think there's room for Tatooine to make an appearance in at least one scene in the ST. Again, if I were in charge, I'd make it a scene at the end of Episode IX, with Luke walking off into the twin sunset of his homeworld (and to the strains of "Binary Sunset"), leaving his ultimate fate up to us to decide for ourselves.

Along these lines, I think an obvious choice of carry-over from the prior pictures is the music of John Williams, and I shouldn't even have to explain why. :)

I think it's important to point out that, just because we may see or hear an echo of things past, doesn't mean that things will be a boring re-tread. Just as an example, both trilogies showcased young Skywalker males, but I don't think many were saying "I've seen this already." Their stories certainly had their differences and they will this time, too. That said, I think a big part of the fun to be had will be in encountering the completely unexpected, and I can't wait.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I hope they put little importance on "rhyming" and "parallels" and much more importance on characterization, plot, dramaturgy and so on. That's where the meat of a story is. Symbolism is just the cherry on top.

For instance, if the heroes journey is used I hope it is done because it fits with the concept and not because "there has to be heroes journey".

13. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing Tattoine as that's where Luke will be to begin the ST... Just a hunch

14. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Which is the hunch? That we'll see Tatooine, or that that's where Luke will be to begin the ST?

I don't see him going back to Tatooine. Why would he? He only went back in ROTJ because that's where Jabba was keeping Han. After that, it's just a ball of dust with old memories.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love to see Luke go back to Tatooine in Episode IX and as another member posted (not sure who it was) have him become one with the Force as he looks off into the twin suns. It would be wonderfully poetic if he spent his whole adolescence yearning to leave the planet and his whole adult life away from it on adventures only to come back at the end because it is the only place he can find solace. Yes, please!

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Both Anakin and Luke grew up on Tatooine and both returned only once to rescue someone. Lets leave it at that and not include another trip to Tatooine in the ST. Im fine with it being in spinoffs, but for the next three episodes lets leave that world in the past and not destroy Anakin and Luke's parrallel journies away and back only once just for a double sun set scene. How about Luke reteiring to a new world with twin suns and commenting how much he never realized that just feels right to him but a world more alive in the force and not a barren desert world.

Toonimator likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Tatooine might not be important to the galaxy in-universe but it is important to the Skywalkers and it is important to the saga. I hope they visit at least once in the ST and I think they will.

18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    If THAT is how it's used, then I'd withdraw my complaints about Tatooine & sunsets. Provided there was a reason for him to become one with the Force, ie dying slowly ala the Tenth Doctor in Doctor Who, saying goodbye in some fashion to his friends, family, etc and then going off alone & fading away, looking at that same sunset at the abandoned farmstead, with a line or a look that says something like "Back where it all began". He's too young for it to be old age alone, unless they do a couple big time-jumps between VII, VIII, and IX. But the same scene COULD easily work on another world with twin suns, too, and as he strikes the same 'sunset pose', he smiles, remembering that same pose & similar view the day he met the droids that changed his life.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^Yes, have him on another world about to become one with the force and at the last moment have the twin suns rise and it give him a moment of Solace and realizing how truly grand the force is for leading to that unexpected last moment gift.

Save Tatooine being returned too for Revan and his quest to find the Star Map that leads to the Star Forge and inadvertently finding HK-47... maybe even learning about Tatooine's EU past (being a world bombarded from space endlessly till all life on the surface was killed off but the Tusken Raiders and Jawas survived this via hiding in a vast cave system around 25,000 years ago).

Sorry but the only reason Luke should return to Tatooine is to pick up some power converters, which being a Jedi Im sure he can pick up much more locally now.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If it were up to me (come on Disney, please :p) I would have Luke confront the big bad in an epic showdown in Episode VIII where he wouldn't be killed but both would be severely weakened and then Luke would pass away at the beginning of Episode IX which would propel his son/daughter to face the main villain in the final battle.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Your end to ep VIII sounds like the end of FotJ EU book series... where Luke did suffer a great "injury" after the final fight.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think that goes without saying, and I wouldn't expect anything less in a well-crafted film/saga.

23. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Tatooine will be the new location of the Jedi Temple.

24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think a lot of traditions / parallels will continue :

Episode VII : Title 3 words , released in May , bound to go back to Tatooine , bound to blow up big enemy ship & bound to have victory celebration & probably kill off a mentor .........

25. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    By the end of this thread (perhaps to a lack of a short term memory) I forgot what the op's post was, with all this talk of tattooine.

But I think the parrellel are part of what makes it feel like Star Wars. I'm not saying all should be repeated, but I liked most in the PT

There were many more General Greivous is most definately one to Vader. A powerful cyborg commanding vast armies, subserveint to Dooku. The list is endless.

Now, as for tattooine. I think the above posters give a compelling argument. Regardless of whether you like it or not, it will definately appear. It has done in 4 out of 6 movies. Plus as with most of the planets, we haven't seen it all just a few cities.

Then as someone said. The twin sun desert dune shot alone screams this is star wars slapping you in your face with a massive salmon.