main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Legacy Era comics map was alot less detailed, but I suspect that this was intentional. Afterall, the comics were ongoing at the time and stuff wasn't really set in stone, other than the fact that Krayt's forces controlled nearly all of the settled galaxy. The size of the Fel Empire and the GA Remannt "areas of influence" were the biggest new additions.

--Adm. Nick

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My impression is that the Legacy map was only showing places referred to in the series - I don't believe the Corporate Sector was ever mentioned.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Thing is it mentions and shows Hapes, Chiss Space and the Hutts as independent affiliates, but not the CSA, so it looks to have been gobbled up by the Empire.

4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Was the CSA during Palpatines reign an independent affiliate or was it part of the Empire? Just wondering because if it was part of Paplatines Empire then it could just be resuming its old status in the Felpire.

Also, to be fair, the likes of the Hapans, Chiss, and Hutts all were mentioned in Legacy on some level. As far as I know, I don't think the CSA were even referenced so its just a case that they were never talked about so there status is unknown.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, the Corporate Sector was independent during the Classic Era. They even had their own currency system.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Client state of the Empire with the difference of it pretty much actually getting founded by the Emperor together with Baron Tagge, unlike other “Clients” which are pre-existing entities.

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    it was preexistant.. not founded by the Emperor, but kinda refounded or reformed only. the foundation has been retconned somewhere if I recall right ;) it existed far longer than the Empire now

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes, but only as a few hundred systems, he greatly expanded it. ;)

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The CSA/Empire relationship is an essential plotpoint in the first Agent of the Empire arc.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'm finally reading through this now that I've owned it for something like two years. I must say thus far, can we get, like, an entire book series set in Hutt Space? It seems like half of their planets have some secret they don't want to share with outsiders! You're making me froth, over here!

11. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    I have played Kotor 2 a lot and 1 world appears to be missing from the map. *cough* Peragus II *cough*

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    see appendix... ;) it is in there

ps: jasonfry will there be atlas appendix updates or new maps some time or is that all on hold too due to Disney or else?

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I haven't heard anything to indicate there won't be more updates and maps. I'm hoping to tackle the Inner Rim at some point this year, though that's dependent on having a clear sked and not being too exhausted/broke/etc.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting note- there are hyperdense planets smaller than Earth in real life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOI-55.01

density: 64 g per cubic cm (over 10x that of Earth)

so, something like Endor or Iago, being a terraformed specimen of one of these, would solve issues of their being unusually small for habitable planets.

Starkeiller likes this.
  15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    exhausted/broke.. ouch, I know only too well how that feels.

Any chance you are coming to CE2? Would love to meet you there ;)

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Unfortunately not -- see "broke" above. Would really love to be there, and had kept the dates free and everything, but can't. And can't make San Diego this year either. SIGH!

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I know it is unorthodox maybe but.. I've seen other cosplayers do it. You could ask fans for helping you to CE2 or another con of your choice. Kickstarter and such for fundraising if they want you there. But even if not, enjoy some rest and keep the great work up ;)

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks, CH.

I don't think I'm quite Kickstarter material, but that's interesting -- hadn't heard of folks doing that, but it makes a lot of sense. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun, and glad fans in Europe are getting their chance for a huge con on home turf.

Cronal, Zorrixor and CeiranHarmony like this.
  19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    They should be paying to bring you in as a guest :)

At least flight and hotel.

CE2 is likely too big to cover expenses for those they don't think of as a guest who will draw significant attendees, but I suspect there are many smaller conventions around North America that would be more than happy to cover those costs and have you as a guest.

Of course none of that would help with the exhaustion part, only add to it :p

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh, that's GOOD exhaustion. Would be totally up for that. Always leave cons fired up, partially from getting to chat with readers, but really because we're all Star Wars fans, and spending a cpl of days talking galaxies far far away with other Star Wars fans is super-fun.

I am doing a cpl of signings pretty soon -- when all's nailed down, will pass along details here and on my cobwebby A&A page.

And now back to Jupiter Pirates 2....

Robimus likes this.
  21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    [double post]

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    jasonfry

Does the new UK run of Factfiles 2013 onwards feature any new maps/mapplacements since I heard its folders will have galactic maps included.

23. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I have no idea. Will see if I can find out.

24. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Well, Iego apparently is the Mysterious Island in Space, so no explanations on its mysteries are forthcoming.

But if it's a gas giant core, that explains why it's so dense and has a thousand moons. Man of science-Man of faith / 1-0 :cool:

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Mortis!!! Man of science 0 : 1 man of faith

26. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    [face_talk_hand] Pffft. So says the man of faith. Granted, a shared time-transcendent hallucination is not what scientists usually deal with, but that's only because they don't take enough entheogens (as far as I'm aware). Granted, we're taking a step out of the firm ground of hard science and entering Terence McKenna's territory, but our refusal to resort to "magic did it" wins this one for science too. :p