main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thrift Store Gold! Hit the absolute Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJimmer, Apr 15, 2013.

1. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    Hello, My name is Jimmer. I signed up to the forums in order to discuss my love for all things Star Wars of course, but also to share and discuss the absolute blessing that I have obtained yesterday. First off, I'd just like to say that I started collecting and reading Star Wars books only a few months ago, but have devoured many and started collecting as many as possible. I mostly got whatever I could thrift stores. After going to maybe three of them I had already 6 books (some YA That aren't pictured or listed). This weekend I went to my Dads, I asked if we could go to the Thrift Store so I could look for some SW books. But then, my best friend hits me up and asks me to go instead (meant to be?). I look through all the shelves and find nothing...but then I go into the two bins that haven't been put out..I found the motherload! Exactly 50 books at 66 cents a piece. It was like it was meant to be and I'm STILL stoked. So many classic entire sets, some even first edition paperbacks, in mint condition. I could have cherry picked for 20 years and not found these. The Force was definitely with me this day, and I am so lucky. It has led me to begin my attempt to collect every Adult Novel available. One of the best parts is that I am a lover of Sith and the beginning of time is where I have started in the saga (I cannot WAIT until Into The Void comes out next month!) and I would have gotten many books before this. But now some wonderful soul unknowingly passed so many classic entire sets (Tons of Bantam, set during the Original Trilogy and towards the future) to someone who will read and appreciate them instead of people picking through them choosing whatever they need.

I took a quick photo of what I got stacked in each series it belongs:
    [​IMG]

I also got the Special Edition Box Set on VHS, and the First Game Of Thrones as you can see.
    Here is a list of the amazing Collection I now am blessed to have (Trust me I realize what I have here and I am so stoked on all of it. Especially The Thrawn Trilogy and Duology, LOTF, I, Jedi, Jedi Academy..ALL of it!) :

*The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
    *The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson
    *The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy by Michael P. Kube-McDowell

*The Corellian Trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen
    *The Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn
    *The New Jedi Orderseries:
    Vector Prime by R. A. Salvatore

Dark Tide Duology by Michael A. Stackpole
    Agents of Chaos Duology by James Luceno
    Balance Point by Kathy Tyers
    Recovery by Troy Denning (an e-book novella later published in the paperback edition of Star by Star)
    Edge of Victory Duology by Gregory Keyes
    Star by Star by Troy Denning
    Dark Journey by Elaine Cunningham
    Enemy Lines Duology by Aaron Allston
    Destiny's Way by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic Trilogy by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy by Gregory Keyes
    The Unifying Force by James Luceno

*Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning
    *The Legacy of the Forceseries

What do you have in your collection? I would love to hear from you guys.

2. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    First of all, WHERE ie. What's store did you get this from..cause if I can find a thrift store like around here in the Midwest!! That's a gold mine of EU material for almost pennies on a dollar!!

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Great find. If you plan on going through the post-Return of the Jedi saga, there are a few missing ones on which you'll want to get your hands for the complete experience:

- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor: A standalone novel set one year after Jedi that easily stands as one of the finest SW books ever written. Don't miss it.

- The Courtship of Princess Leia, which is set just before Tatooine Ghost, includes important events, many of which will reappear in later works.

- Darksaber, which goes in between Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. You'll be pretty confused if you go from Children right to Twilight without reading Darksaber.

- Scourge is a very recent book, that's set around the same time as Survivor's Quest. It's a bit too new to have made its way to any thrift shops yet, but you could pick it up at a Barnes and Noble or a Chapters or whatever.

- Traitor. It's the only book from The New Jedi Order saga that you're missing. For the love of God don't leave out Traitor.

- The X-Wing books: Nine novels may seem like a massive undertaking, but trust me, you won't regret it.

I'd also recommend seeing if your nearest comic shop can order the Dark Empire trilogy hardcover collection, which was most recently released in 2010. Dark Empire is an essential part of the post-ROTJ storyline.

DarthApprentice and DarthJimmer like this.
  4. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    haha I know right! I'm here in Baltimore, East Coast. Trust me, it usually wouldnt have any. Chance of a lifetime.

Thanks for the tips. I def. will read what I don't have via Ebook until I can obtain them. Dark Empire has always been a main objective of mine from the start, regardless of Lucas' mocking. I use the wookiepedia guides as you can see from my copy and pasting with the links by accident, but a welcomed accident lol I noticed that I was missing only Traitor from NJO, You're a pro for spotting it. I only hear good things about the X-wing series, and it's def. right up my alley. I'm going to make sure not to skip anything important.

I appreciate the responses guys!

Shadojoker likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's quite a steal, I love finding Star Wars stuff at used stores, I need to go hunting more often.

I'm jealous! You're holding me back!

6. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Also, Don't get me wrong..I'm not just going to be a cheapo with the Thrift Stores. Especially now that I've been so lucky. Are you looking forward to Crucible?(Comes out on my birthday, so I'll most likely be receiving it as a gift). I def. need the Fate Of The Jedi series as well, and Im missing two from Legacy. It's easy to go through what we don't all have that we want isnt it? aha I'm so happy to be getting so far into my collection already though. Not to mention that I have most of the ones favored by the lovers of the original trilogy (which is everyone right?) ha

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *blinks*

WOW.

I can't think of the last time I read a "paper" book, I always read on my Kindle, but damn...if I knew I could get a haul like that, it would be worth the gas to drive to Maryland.

I've found very few Star Wars books in thrift stores but DarthBreezy and I used to thrift-store hop for action figures and other such items. I once found a set of Star Wars twin-bed sheets for $1; they're currently on my youngest son's bed. Found a couple of vintage lunchboxes as well, plus Anakin's speeder from AOTC.

Any interest in the prequel era aside from Cloak of Deception? If so I'd recommend Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover, Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  8. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    I have a definite interest in the prequel era/ Rise of The Republic Era, for sure. I really love The Old Republic and the Pre-Republic Era too. I've read The Bane Trilogy, Knight Errant, Lost Tribe Of The Sith etc. Next on my list is Darth Plagueis to start the Rise. That's awesome you've found those items. My Friend I went with always finds Pez, Figures but none of value other then personal, some Helmets and toy blasters. Luckily I didnt have to fight him over the books once I found them because he refuses to read like I do. (He's totally missing out) haha

Prodigy_Knight likes this.
  9. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Are you interested in comics at all?

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed Plagueis. I haven't read any Old Republic novels except Fatal Alliance but I liked it.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  11. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Yea, When I said Old Republic I don't mean just the game adaptions etc. but whats considered that age. But Im sure you know that. I'm glad to hear those are both worth the read.

Some, I def. want to eventually start. I'm an artist, and I love the art, but it's so hard for me to get into the storyline when written as a comic. There's something about reading a book and visualizing it to its full potential and your personal view in your mind while reading about things never thought of in the movies, some of which are better imo. I think if I were to start it would be the newish Dawn Of The Jedi and the Dark Empire TPBs.

12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Since you're gonna be first getting into the Star Wars comics, I would definitely recommend picking up some of the Omnibus' out there. Of them, I would recommend Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness for its great storyline & art (the writer & artist for most of the book also did Dawn of the Jedi) as well as the A Long Time Ago.... ones for their look into the early days of Star Wars comics.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  13. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Thank you for the tip! It's always appreciated for sure. I just might have to pick those up.

14. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Man, today I went to do some errands..and I stopped and saw that Barnes and Noble was having a clearance sale, 50% off marked items. I go in, and I immediately see The $60 "The Sounds Of Star Wars" book that was marked down already to 11.99, plus the 50 percent I got it for like 6 bucks. So awesome. My 7 year old little brother is gonna have so much fun checking this out with me. Its surprisingly top notch and has great concept art and photos included with the whole 250 sounds. Worth 60? No way. 6? hell yea.

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I have quite a lot I'll post a full list soon. The majority of them I got from my local second hand book shop. Last month I got the whole X-Wing series from there. From 2-8 that I needed.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You know when hunting season really kicks in? The instant Disney pulls an Order 66 on all pre-Disney EU.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hunting season? Try mob ambush. :p

The good news is that I've seen a lot of out-of-print materials continue to be offered in e-book format.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've already started to finally horde all the TPBs that I've been putting off buying for years.

KOTOR? Finally collected.
    Legacy? Just need one more now, then done.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Congratulations. You've just made yourself a target.

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, I'm not worried, I shall hold the Disney deathsquad at bay with my copy of Crystal Star. Even their stormtroopers won't want to get near that threshold.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I found some SWAJs at a used book sale once. It was the greatest thing ever.

I still have almost all of the old Bantam novels back home -- except for SftP, which my second cousin borrowed like fourteen years ago and STILL hasn't returned...

22. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I have a large extended family, so I usually end up with a lot of $10~$20 Barnes and Noble gift cards after Christmas. That's how I've built up most of my EU collection. It's getting harder to find books that I don't already own that way, though, so I've recently been turning to ebay.

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I can't look at the title of this thread without thinking of the Macklemore song.

:p

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Best used book store find I ever had was in Seattle. This place had a signed copy of Outbound Flight in HC, and I got it for about $12.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That is a significant chunk of my 1990s reading materiel right there.