main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the beginning with the Rock climbing/camping and the end beginning with "Please sir, not in front of the Klingons." are worth seeing again. The rest of five is just crap though (Shatner directed crap, I might add).

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Don't forget my all-time favorite ST moment "What does God need with a starship?".

ST: V is one of those movies that gets so much grief that after a while it tips the scales and it suddenly becomes underrated; at least to me. Sure it has low rent production values and cheapo F/X. And yes the initially intruiging premise does begin to fall apart like an '89 Hyundai Sonata long before the "That's it?" final act, but I still think the film is fun. It may not be as well made as IV and VI, but if I had to sit down and watch one of the three I'd pick ST: V nine times out of ten.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Watched "Sound City" last night. The first half with interviews with band members and employees of the studio etc was fabulous. The second half about Dave Grohl putting the Neve console in his own studio really dragged. Nice seeing McCartney jamming with the guys from Nirvana, but even that went on a bit long.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least V didn't kill off a major character in an insipid and uninspired manner and replace them with the next 'model' *Glares at Nemesis hard*

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In the days before this wretched "like" system, we not only used to QFT, but QMAOFT, and most coveted of all, NIAWYC. There are still those of use who respect the old ways. Who live by them.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If I went for a ST movie I would pick First Contact, but I'm largely a TNG person.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I wouldn't totally disagree with that. Spock and McCoy did get some nice character moments.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hey ***holes,
    Take it to the Star Trek thread or Indiana Jones thread.

Heavyweights(1995) - starring Ben Stiller and a bunch of fat kids. I've seen this a bunch of times. Something about fat kids and summer camp that always amuses me.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The Godfather (1972)

Probably the first big shock on the "halibut hasn't seen this film yet" list. But I am glad that has now been rectified. At last a decent film on the list.

It was almost like watching 2 movies. The first ends with the cafe shootout, and the second begins with Michael in his "new life". The effects were excellent (apart from the fake horse head - though the blood was spot on). The story was engaging with plenty of surprises throughout. Vico's assassination attempt took me by surprise, but on the flipside it was obvious that Michael's first wife wasn't going to last long!

It needs another viewing as there were quite a lot of names to learn and I id get a bit confuddled as to who was whom.

But a very solid film, and I look forward to the next part.

10. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Addams Family Values

I saw the film (plus it's predecessor) as a kid and was never fussed by them much. Seeing it for the 1st time in years as an adult however I found it hilarious - love the Thanksgiving play. [face_laugh]

11. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Identity Thief lol.

it was ok. exactly what you think it would be.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Life of Pi - What I was told: "It's a powerful tale about faith." What I thought: It's a boring tale about shallow "spirituality". What I was told: "The visuals are amazing!" What I thought: The visuals are fake and showy (Though the CG-rendered creatures are extremely impressive). I will say that newcomer Suraj Sharma is outstanding as the teenage Pi, and the always great Irrfan Khan is equally good as the middle aged Pi recounting the tale. I have a feeling this film is could be a bit polarizing, though ultimately I found just enough good things to give it a tepid recommendation. - 6.5/10

Life likes this.
  13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I love 'Ghost World'. It's one of those few movies that perfectly captures adolescence.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Forbidden Planet

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I must confess, I have seen part of this film when I was very young. All I remembered was a red monster killing people and me running to my room to hide. It scared the willies out of me. I've also been involved in a production of Return to the Forbidden Planet so I had an inkling of what it was about.

But it was pretty good. Terribly dated attitudes, but there's not getting around that. Very much like an episode of Star Trek. Roddenberry said that this film was a major influence, so I expect it's no coincidence that the first number mentioned in the film is 1701. It's also clear to see how groundbreaking this must have been at the time. The effects are really good. At first I thought the giant flying saucer must have been a matte painting, but the way the camera moved showed it was built for real. All the sets were good. Fun fact: The Doctor's garden is a redress of the Munchkin Village from Wizard of Oz.

Also very unusual is the "score". First score ever made entirely of electrical sounds. As such it was ineligible to be nominated for an Oscar.

The acting performances were solid throughout, and some nice comic relief from the Cook

A great way to spend 100 minutes

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Departures (Okuribito in Japanese). Finally got around to watching this, on Netflix. We'd been meaning to and somehow kind of forgot about it. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars in 2009.

Basically, the main character loses his job as a cellist when the orchestra closes. He and his wife move back to his hometown, where he inadvertently takes a job performing ceremonies preparing the dead for funerals and cremations. He eventually finds it fulfilling, and is also able to come to terms with his father (who had abandoned him and his mother when he was a boy). Don't want to give away more than that, but it's excellent... definitely recommended.

[​IMG]

Bacon164 likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A vast improvement over the original in every possible way. The actors really get into their characters including the great Raul Julia. Shame it didn't do as well as the original.

Champion of the Force likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Good movie

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Seconded. Very impressive movie. The special effects have barely aged at all.

19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Won't Back Down

It was really good. It made me want to teach elementary school (actually, sometimes my HS students make me want to teach elem because their basic skills are lacking) except for the fact that I can't stand younger kids.

Life likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I did not like the soundtrack. Felt like I was tripping acid.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What's wrong with that?

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ip Man - In my experience, most biopics stink. Of course most biopics don't have kung-fu battles interspersed throughout the story. Sadly, when the titular Ip Man isn't beating people sensless, this is one of the dullest films I've ever seen. Our hero has zero charisma, no real arc and in dozens of fights he gets hit exactly once. Where's the drama in that? The fact that it's also bad history and bursting with Chinese nationalism is another matter. - 6/10

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Raising Arizona. Simply amongst my favorite Coen Bros. movies. I got the yodeling theme stuck in my head now but I don't mind that much. :p

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Robot & Frank - good movie about an old man with bad memory whose kids get a robot to watch after him. 9/10

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't know exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.