main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not mutually exclusive though -- while she advocates all action and no emotion, I don't advocate the reverse. Far from it -- I said I can see the argument, but I completely disagree with divorcing all emotion from it. If you can't feel for tragedy, then how do we as a society avoid inhumane acts? It can't be all intellectual -- the brain can justify all sorts of things if you don't have a heart, an instinct about this sort of thing.

It's not about feeling at the expense of doing, or doing at the expense of feeling. It's about being able to do both.

edit: And frankly, mass societal revulsion at something like this IS constructive because it helps to remind people that this kind of thing is wrong and should be completely discredited at all levels by all people.

blackmyron, Jedi Ben and krtmd like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While I can well see where AWT is coming from, I do have a fair amount of agreement with Jello's position too.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now said person posted a status about how we need to be aware that horrible things happen all over the world all the time. **** that ****. We know -- but to jump on your soapbox and say that in the time of a tragedy is not spreading awareness, it's more like going "MEMEMEME LOOK HOW AWARE I AM."

I hate that. Every time there's a shooting or tragedy, people go off about that. It's not that it's an invalid point -- people should care, but it just smacks of inconsiderate ...ugh.

edit: Wow. That was bad. Basically everyone in our group of friends -- several of whom grew up in Boston -- just went off. I did too. It was... yeah. It was bad. I don't want to project my feelings about this tragedy onto another person, because I think it's all too easy to do that (witness all the anger people are expressing alongside the sadness) but damn.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This^^

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    On a lighter note, you guys totally missed Carth showing up on Castle. In a Bigfoot costume.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I still can't handle Carth's voice coming out of a real person's face. I saw him in Once and I was just... what? No? This cannot happen!

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I put a couple of things on my Facebook page, one about the runners who finished the marathon and then ran to the hospital to donate blood to the victims. Also about the police officers who were running into the explosions to ensure that everyone else was out of the way.

It was not so much a "look at how aware I am" but more of a "I really, really need to like a few humans today, and here they are."

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I don't by any means think that people shouldn't post pertinent status messages. It was just the idea of this person who I'd already been upset with going further to chastise people who were upset about not being upset about the rest of the world -- and it was particularly bad because three people in our immediate group of friends are from Boston and have friends/family there, and it was really insensitive to them. And it's like, I'm not personally affected directly aside from the handful of people I know there (all of whom are fine, thankfully) but I was certainly feelings for my friends because I tend to be empathetic, so I felt that the constant attention-seeking of someone who sort of was flamboyantly unaffected was upsetting and mean. I mean, I don't blame people for being disconnected or unaffected -- I said next to nothing when Sandy Hook happened -- and I do think some people parade pretending to feel affected by it, but something rubs me the wrong way about standing on top of a soapbox declaring that you are unaffected.

What you posted, a_g, is completely different. No way I'd criticize that. I think people need to know that there were people out there who were totally selfless, and it's definitely comforting to know that tragedies can bring out the best in people. I think a person's response to a tragedy says a lot about them as a person.

Don't know why I got super emotionally invested in this, but I did. Weird.

edit: you know, I have a sudden eerie self-consciousness about all this; I guess the most direct way I experienced the tragedy is through these big arguments with my friend, but I almost feel like now I'm trying to get attention of my own by talking about it. It's weirdly self-interested to talk about how I'm upset at someone for being self-interested. So I guess this'll be the last I say anything about it, since the events of today weren't at all about my arguments on facebook but about the real victims out there.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The only thing I posted on Facebook today was a sketch card. Shows how on top of things I am. It's not that I don't care, Boston has my sympathies, but I'm otherwise unaffected by it, and to post a bunch of status messages about it would seem a bit... pretentious? Or even pandering a bit, considering some of the posts I've seen by others. I'd rather not fall into that "NEVAR 4GET" trap.

Sinrebirth and jSarek like this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That was my reaction to hearing Carth/Kaidan come out of an average dude in the sixth season of 24.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, I get it, I'm not big on anybody telling anyone else how they should feel. And there's a "hide from my news feed" option if someone doesn't like someone else's status updates.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That is sad. And only 66. :(

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    New trailer out for Star Trek Into Darkness. Best one yet, plus it is full of Fleet Junkie goodness.

Including one massive Federation starship... :D

--Adm. Nick

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a confession to make.

I haven't seen a Star Trek movie since 1989.

I did put Deep Space Nine in my Netflix queue though.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...so I'm procrastinating on my paper about drones / extrajudicial killing / war crimes by writing about drones / extrajudicial killing / warcrimes in the JCC.

What's wrong with me.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    How much time do you have?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    lol.

What can I say, I find this stuff fun? The law of war is like my specialty. Unfortunately it doesn't exactly have a wide application, which is probably why nobody's bothered hiring me yet. :p

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Nothing. Peer review on JCC is far more forgiving, as most of us either have tenure already or just don't care :p

Have to look up that new trailer.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Those are Star Wars-relevant topics. Stick with them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Aw, Jello, I'd hire you, if only as a consultant so any book I wrote would have its facts straight...:p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    You seriously haven't seen a Star Trek movie as long as I have been alive, I have seen just about everything Star Trek before and since then, except the new film (soon to be films) which seem nothing like Star Trek to me.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    For some reason I am not overly surprised you dislike Star Trek's soft reboot ;)

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The 2009 Star Trek movie had a lot of lost potential, especially with all the backstory of Nero which was in the comic and not the movie, but it was better than probably the majority of Voyager or Enterprise episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.