main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Heathen, thou shalt not affront the great Waru like that!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Maybe it merely was a methaphor that Waru lives inside all of us! It was a message, I declare Cooper is a Prophet through which our Lord Maker Waru, bearer of the golden Eye of Daiman, has chosen to channel its wisdom!!!

Zorrixor likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Maybe it's just individuals who were involved with all the publications of TCW related materials?

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No its not clone wars material oriented dude, its Disney asserting complete control of their property now. You guys are arguing about what should or shouldn't be in the EU and what no on here is realizing is that the star wars we all knew is over.This Eu period is over, just enjoy whatever comes out in the next 6 months cause can't go any further stuff is getting cancelled by the week here with this franchise or people are getting laid off. Now ther going after the publishing stuff....its only a matter of time before the rest of the hammer falls.

I dont care what you guys tell me but man things were better when GL had the company. These debates aren't going to matter soon anyway cause its going to be a whole new star wars and all this stuff will be regarded as star wars 1.0.

Im not only hating this deal more and more, but Im hating the sequels and yet we know nothing from it but all these cancellations and negative news is pissing me off. I''m going to say this, I said back then that something was up when Sue and Steve and several others left the company. They knew regardless of what anyone tells us. They just were told they couldnt say anything or face legal action which makes sense.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's always stuff like this that happens when a company gets a new owner. I think they're trying to cut off what, in their minds, is excess. Get back to the roots, back to the basics, do that right, then expand on that. Honestly, some kind of new direction has been needed for a few years. They're cleaning house first, then they'll get back to making new products.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The article has been updated and now says that there were NO publishing layoffs.

11. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    As much as it must be terrible for the people laid off, it makes sense that there would be losses in such departments as marketing and merchandising. Disney already have quite a lot of people in those areas, so there would certainly be duplication. darklordoftech's news about publishing not being included cheers me up as well.

On the wider point about the EU, I think Disney will keep most of it for the simple reason that it's essentially 'free money' at this point. All the books (etc.) out there, and every time someone buys one (or a Kindle copy) Disney gets a cut without actually having to do anything. The Clone Wars was cancelled because the DVD/Bluray for a Season Six would have been coming out mid-late 2014 outside of the US, and that's too close to Episode VII for them to be able to market both effectively.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Us Tech Lords are happy to cheer others up.

Barriss_Coffee and MRCynical like this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    *sigh* it's getting increasingly more confusing to know who to trust each day. All these crazy rumors.

Overused but relevant gif 3...2...1...Go!

[​IMG]

14. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I could use some of that right around now. :p

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Aaand this is the point where the doubts set in, and one cannot help from wondering if there were still layoffs, but that someone was meant to be maintaining their contractual confidentiality, and have now simply withdrawn their statement after being gagged and discretely reminded if they want their redundancy payout they retract anything they just leaked.

16. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    There are two sources in question, which you'd know if you actually clicked the link. Here it is again!

The first report is RFR's: Their source is anonymous. We quoted them saying “licensing, marketing, and publishing."

The second source is Jennifer Heddle, LucasBooks editor, who told us openly on Twitter that there were no layoffs in publishing.

I highly doubt Heddle is RFR's original source, so backtracking? Not exactly. 'Conflicting reports' is the term you're looking for, but if push comes to shove I'm going to trust her above an anon source.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I did click the link, but in the world of big business and $4 billion corporate buyouts, trusting what people say when they're bound by contractual obligations not to say anything is much greyer and I'm a cynic.

My point, however, was in reaction to people jumping to happy conclusions about this Arnold guy just being a muppet, as even if Heddle is correct, that doesn't rule out what this guy said having still been true, as former employees aren't issuing carefully worded press statements and worried about the technical accuracy of how they phrase things.

(Not that I'm necessarily getting my hopes up about there not having also been publishing layoffs either, as I've been expecting Disney to get around to those, and Heddle herself may not even be aware, as she's now just a small fish in the much bigger Disney machine, so if nobody sent her the memo, she'd know no more than the rest of us until she receives her own P45 through the mail.)

18. Obrusnine

Obrusnine Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2013
    Why doesn't something positive happen for a change? It just seems to be getting worse, not better. It makes me even more agitated that it seems Disney seems to just like sitting there, issuing little to no comment about any of these changes, to try and reassure everyone or at least give us any clue what their apparently crazy plan is.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's what keeps frustrating me -- there's no damage control going on. It's not like we (us on the TFN foums) are the only ones complaining -- a lot of the big IGN/Wired/etc-type sites are making a big deal about this too. I can understand why Disney wants to make changes -- sometimes even drastic ones to clear the playing field -- but when are they going to give us more input on what they're planning? Yeah yeah, I know there's a movie coming "maybe 2015" (I doubt that -- 2016 seems more likely at this point), and they're in the early planning stages of another TV show (no word on that), but there's no substantial news at the moment.

Lucasfilm had some problems over the last few years but at least it was still in operation as a powerhouse of new projects. Disney effectively just put the brakes on everything. That hasn't happened since... well, since longer than some of us have probably been alive!:p

20. Obrusnine

Obrusnine Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2013
    That's exactly what I mean. I mean, how much worse could Disney's PR get?

Also, yea, it's certainly longer then I've been alive (but that isn't very long, I just turned 18, :p). But seriously, there is no excuse for Disney to sit there leaving fans twiddling their thumbs hoping their childhoods aren't about to be torn to shreds by corporate overlords.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Not for Star Wars, but Disney have done it before with their own IP, so in some ways it's to be expected I suppose.

They're a company that certainly makes a lot of money... but Mr Walt's never particularly been a people person, as the money is always their one and only focus, and they know that fanbases are so easily replaced by new ones.

My reading at the moment is simply that they've already decided to reboot, but that they want to milk the last years of EU 1.0 for everything they can get, thus not wanting to scare fans off by announcing anything until the eleventh hour, i.e. while they couldn't care less about us, they still want what little they can get out of us before releasing Episode VII: The Coruscant Musical.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Know what? I just got around to watching the latest Star Trek trailer:

Do I want Abrams and co on Wars after watching this? Hell yeah.

23. Obrusnine

Obrusnine Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2013
    Do I want Disney on it though? Hell no.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Which reminds me -- after reading this -- I'm almost positive at this point Disney's gonna sneak a musical in there. And I'm serious! A new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future? You just know one of them's got Filoni at the helm and we're gonna get a Dark Times-Pixar singing Ahsoka feature-length film.

[​IMG]
    "That guy with the hat like this -- no seriously, I don't know him! Stop confusing my films with his!"

[​IMG]
    "Heh heh heh..."

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's that but have you tried to prevent supporting a major entertainment conglomerate by not purchasing anything by them? Bloody difficult if not out-right impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.