main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for making me feel old, Zeta. :p

I got sort of lost sorting through all the Star Trek available on Netflix so I'm a long way from being interested in the "soft reboot." I need to figure out what the hell they're rebooting first.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Trailer somehow strikes me as utterly generic; it could literally be to any high budget Sci-Fi Action flick.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    And this is a bad thing? :p

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    A little, as it doesn’t need to be Star Trek for that.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm about Zeta's age, I guess, but up until now have only seen one Star Trek episode and none of the movies. I think it was the pilot. Something about a shape shifter. One of these days...

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Advice #1: Eating your prisoners of war may be a war crime. There is no necessity defense.

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Does that apply to Mon Cals?

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [face_shame_on_you]

Eating Mon Cals is immoral. When I eat fried Calamari in Monterey, I get very emotional.

Crap, who am I kidding? I love to eat that stuff! [face_devil]

--Adm. Nick

anakinfansince1983 and krtmd like this.
  9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    What if you drink them? [face_plain]

[​IMG]

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, it IS delicious.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...the really funny part about that is that as a vegetarian, I would NEVER eat calamari.

Let's all sit and think about that.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've only ever seen the 2009 movie.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Can I eat them on the basis that they taste good?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What?

What?

Get out.

Now.

Go see Star Trek II-VI. I will make you fall asleep, and V will probably confuse you, but the rest of them are excellent. Particularly IV.

Go. Now. Don't let me see you until you have.

Zeta1127 and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've watched the OS enough to quote half the episodes, but alas, I've never had time to watch the later series. Supposedly some of them are better.... I gotta get on that task someday.

I've seen the old movies with Shatner et al, but none of the Picard or later ones. I thought the 2009 movie took itself more seriously than the older movies (more on that in a sec), but it definitely had the spirit of the OS. Half (er, most?) of the OS episodes were about Kirk being placed in an impossible situation and having to choose between the undesirable choices offered to him, and in the end he would come up with some clever third alternative of his own design. He was never so much the "tough-guy" hero as the "clever/trickster" hero (e.g. Odysseus), and the 2009 movie got that down pretty well.

and re: the older movies with the old actors -- I don't think they took themselves as seriously, but not necessarily in a bad way. If we want to know what the Star Wars ST is going to be like, it will probably parallel these. You've got a bunch of old actors getting together and reprising roles that have become entertainment icons. The 1980s-Trek films were half banter between the Enterprise crew, and it was a lot more casual than what was in the 1960s show. I think we'll probably see the same for the ST.

16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'll probably end up watching them some time, but not in the next month or so. I haven't even had the time/motivation to watch the newest Mad Men yet.

Last night I considered it an accomplishment to churn out 2 pages of analysis of the secondary literature on the Zapotecs of Monte Alban.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    By far the best part of the old Trek films was that the old cast were just out there having fun, and basically acting like they should be -- old friends (IU, at least) getting back together for some fun romps. The uniforms were a lot cooler too -- they had all those shiny metal things on the rank insignia. Looks more 18th century. :p Instead of, er,, 23rd? 24th? I don't know Trek super well, despite having watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager as a kid (never TOS though, alas). The old Trek films though, are my favorite of the lot.

bah, I wrote 9 and that's with a busted hand and after spending the day hanging out and having fun. :p Now I have 300 words left of the last paper of my academic career... so close. So CLOSE. I'm phoning it in so hard, though, it's terrible. I could easily double the length I have now including all the dueling sources that I could differentiate between and sort out but I'm over it. I know too much about this subject for my own good :p

As for your paper, I still think you should write about the colli Albani instead. Surely your Mesoamerican prof will understand should you choose to write about the far superior Roman culture. (actually, professors get aneurisms these days if you describe cultures as inferior and superior, don't they? Bah! The good old days are long gone...)

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I think the whole "inferior/superior culture" ideal went out of style back in the mid-20th century :p

I actually considered doing it on the Etruscans, but they can't be considered a primary state, whereas the Zapotecs can potentially make that claim.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll most likely join the sad ranks of people who have only seen the Abrams Trek movies soon, as I'll probably end up seeing Into Darkness in theaters, and at least want to be familiar with the first one beforehand. But I will watch the series, hopefully soon. I just won't pay for those ridiculously overpriced blu ray collections.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    :( But but you can make judgments based on material evidence and literary attainment and all the pretties. Think of all the pretties! I'd like to see some Visigoths make veristic sculptures out of Parian marble! I'd like to see them work porphyry!

I don't know what primary state means. Educate me. :p

21. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    ...BRB, hiding the evidence.:p

Gorefiend and instantdeath like this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Assuming you're eating people the right way, there shouldn't be any evidence to start with ;)

23. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Pretty much primary states are states that developed without any major contact with/influence by other states. The generally accepted primary states are Egypt after the unification of the two kingdoms (although some have argued that Upper Egypt alone constituted a state, IIRC); Mesopotamia starting with Uruk; the Harappan culture in the Indus Valley; the Shang Dynasty in China; the Moche, Tiwanaku, and Wari cultures in the Andes; and Monte Alban in Mesoamerica. Pretty much nothing in Italy can possibly count; any Italian state draws at least slightly on Bronze Age Aegean cultures, which in turn drew a lot on the Near East, which in turn was influenced by Mesopotamia.

I'm sure Coffee can correct any errors I made, and more ably explain just what a state entails.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    .......yeah so the biggest Supreme Court decision I can think of in my lifetime just got handed down this morning. It's a case I've written a few papers on, and seen from the highest levels of both the appellants, the petitioners, and hell, even within the halls of the U.S. government. And it basically erases a quarter century of international human rights law. And it's a 9-0 opinion.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/10-1491_8n59.pdf

....damn.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Star Wars fans watching Star Trek!? Blasphemy!

:p

Though, one of my nerdier professors often has a joke about that. He'll do the Vulcan salute and say May the Force be with you. Immediately afterwards he'll point out that there are three types of people in the room. The first group have no idea what he's doing, the second do know what he's doing and laugh a bit, while the third group will be compelled to stand up and proclaim "I must correct hiiiimmmm!!". His delivery on the third one is hilarious, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.