main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its a trilogy, the Forerunner Saga, that goes into the backstory of Halo, set roughly 100,000 years before the games, that deals with the Forerunners as intantdeath mentioned. I haven't actually read any of the Halo novels, only the short story anthology, Evolutions, and I am not nearly as interested in the more recent novels, the Forerunner Saga and Karen Traviss' Kilo-Five Trilogy that leads into Halo 4, as I am the first six.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Experience would suggest that you stay away from Dietz's stuff. I vaguely remember reading the first two novels when I was younger, the second of which was by Dietz; he's really not very good, and it's almost a straight novelization of the first game.

3. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Half of it is. The other half is new material from the Covenant POV (the first time we got a substantial amount of that, really).

4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Tosche Station is reporting that Leia's novel has a title - Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, according to the SW book facebook page, Empire and Rebellion is the overall title for the three Rebels books. It's still the three books, but the Empire part makes me wonder if we'll also get books focusing on Imperials. [face_thinking]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping we get a Baron Fel book set during the OT.

Jedi Ben and Zorrixor like this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but, isn't that period a bit... you know, crowded? I love to complain about continuity problems as much as the nexy guy/gal on this board, but it's quite clear that such new books will cause new continuity overwrites. Although it can't be worse than what "The Force Unleashed" actually did...

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I can't WAIT to read about the 347th Bounty Hunter at Ord Mantell!

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Very crowded when it comes to comics, but actually fairly light when it comes to novels. It just has that young adult series, plus the two Zahn books, all of which take place in the first year, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. These novels are supposed to take place in the later period of the war (or, at least, the Leia novel is), so it shouldn't run into any problems. Personally, I'm excited for them, especially the Han one. I've been meaning to read Leviathan Wakes.

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, that doesn't make any difference to me. Comics or novels, it's still meant to be the same continuity.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    On another the positive side, there are only three films set in that period, so Disney have got a good three or four spin-offs they can squeeze in before they have to worry about film overload. :p

Seriously, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the idea that in ten years time our concern won't be comic overload, but too many films squashed into the week after the Battle of Yavin. :p

instantdeath likes this.
  12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Even so, year two and three are not crowded on either front. A lot of complaints of that nature were leveled at Brian Wood's series, and I never understood them; on first glance it might appear that the period between ANH and ESB is crowded, but it really isn't that bad, particularly in comparison to the Clone Wars.

There's still quite a bit of room for character development. I still feel we don't have a solid, logical progression for either Luke's journey from rookie to Commander and budding Jedi, or Han gradually getting himself roped into the Rebel Alliance.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wells has said her book at least is two years after ANH. So maybe that's a sign they're finally moving beyond that crowded first year. :D

Oh, and can I express my joy at seeing a title with two words? And it sounds badass. I would expect nothing less from a Leia novel.

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I have to grant you, Instantdeath. The timeline of the Clone Wars is so obvious a mess that it's probably damaged beyond repair. It's not even comparable. My only fear would be that the Rebellion era ends up the same way.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Definitely. I actually feel some stuff that supposedly takes place in the first year should be moved, particularly the later Empire issues and Rebellion, which feature a Luke that acts much more mature and is much more skilled with a lightsaber than he is in other works around the same time. The overall period between the two movies isn't that bad, but the first year is, for lack of a better word, a completely cluster****.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    And not because the title is Dark Razor's Edge (which they almost certainly considered at one point :p).

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Ozzel's Razor: It is as clumsy as it is simple.

18. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001

I hereby suggest that we start referring to the series as SWEAR. Anybody with me?

19. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Nah, EAR is just fine for me.

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Actually, it is just as much of a mess. :p

TC

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Praise Waru, someone has finally gotten over the immediately-after-ANH obsession. Every time an author/publisher is interviewed and says "Yeah, there aren't that many stories set just after Episode IV" I want to punch my computer screen. Seriously, Zahn's said it in at least two.

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Why the hell can’t they ever set a Leia book in the 2-3 years before Yavin? I mean I get Luke, he was really doing nothing, but Leia was out being a teenage Senator, Spy and hidden Demagogue, surly there are stories to tell there. [face_sigh]

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    And we could read all about how Leia has a poster of Galen Marek on her wall and that she hates that nasty Juno lady because the Hero of the Rebellion will be hers and hers alone.

No, really, I'm sure it would be a good book, just as long as it didn't feature Leia's teenage crushes. :p

(Now, a story set after ANH that dealt with Leia's grief at her hero's death, and her consoling herself by transferring her dreams to that other valiant Jedi Knight, that might be good reading. :p)

cdgodin likes this.
  24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Finally if we get Imperial books I will be truly happy.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That would also allow for a deal of Bail Organa action. I liked the way his character was portrayed in Clone Wars: Wild Space. Oh, and perhaps we could finally obtain a clear answer on the fate of Queen Breha...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.