main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Which is actually surprisingly fine by me. ANH is my favorite film in the saga after all. ;)

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I'm a RotJ type of guy myself....once Luke enters Jabba's palace I was sold :)

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Glad I'm not the only one. I still love the classic era, and as I just said in another thread, I still don't feel we have a complete transition from rookie to Commander for Luke yet.

Also, MasterSkywalker, I haven't yet read the Brian Wood series yet (though I'll be surprised if I don't enjoy it, considering how much I like some of his original stuff), but what's wrong with Luke in it? I've heard great things about his Han and especially Leia portrayal, but haven't really heard anything about Luke.

4. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    ROTJ is my second favorite film in the saga (I'm a sucker for happy endings and redemptions so why wouldn't it be? :p ). And I agree, I still fanboysquee a little at that moment, every time. XD

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    instantdeath , not really sure myself what's the issue is with Wood's Luke as I haven't read it, Kataja and Child seem to have a minor disagreement on a Luke scene.

dewback_rancher , question though how did Luke bypass the robo gatekeeper ?

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    also ID I hear the story is much more Leia driven this particular arc so Luke doesn't get enough screen time.

7. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    The same way Threepio and Artoo did, I guess. Bluff the thing into letting him in. XD

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I love all three of them, but ANH is my favorite

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i think rotj is the best movie of the saga. Here fe finally see luke as a jedi and redeeming his father. it was awesome.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    As a big Star Wars fan, ROTJ has my favorite moments, but as a film I'd have to say ESB far and away the best one. ANH is, of course, the most fun to rewatch on its own.

kataja likes this.
  11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I thought the whole scene a Luke- tribute! He most definitely saved her! It's true that she died, but it was so clearly what she wanted - her body had been lost a long time ago, only to be replicated by Abeloth - and her spirit was hold captive, still without ability to touch the Force. When Luke freed her, she was finally able to unite with the Force - I thougth it was wonderful!

Welcome back, dew!!! [:D] Yeah, me too!!!

Much agreed! And I love the classic era too! Heck, I love any era where Luke is in! :p

SPOILERS!!!!
    I've read issues 1-3, still waiting for my #4 (they apparently come belated here in Denmark :( ) Well, as MS says, he hasn't gotten much screentime, but myself, I like what we've gotten so far. It all takes place very close to ANH, and no one's had really time to digest the events there yet. Luke's pretty comtemplative in first issue, then gets involved in a mission - and then gets distracted by a girl, taking liberties to prolong an exercise in order to get more time with her. That's pretty much it. What i like about him this far, is that he's shown both gentle and sensitive - and still cocky as hell. I think both fit well with ANH -and neither should be neglected. Then, what that cocktail gets him into, is just a question about the plot, really :p
    END SPOILERS!!!!

The big question is, of course, CAN he ever get enough screen time? [face_thinking]

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The film could still bomb, but the latest trailer's looking good:

And in quite a few ways, I do see Luke as a similar character in that he embodies that positive sense of aspiration. That you can make a better without trampling over everyone and looking out for no.1.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Also Dew, since I know you're a Vader fan, you'd be doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not picking up "Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison", if you haven't already. It's ridiculously good.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy of that has despatched! Should get it tomorrow!

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    While Jedi is my favorite, I see the OT as one whole film with 3 acts and enjoy every minute of it. Seeing Luke's progression in the hero journey was great, farmboy wanting to leave the homestead to rebel hero, to commander, to jedi apprentice, and finally a knight.

see the thing is though, Jabba didn't want Luke anywhere near his door so I imagined the guard was given specific orders not to open to him. I imagine he must have use his wits, his Force ability or a mixture of both. I say the latter considering he disable two gammorreans guards, made Bib his mind slave, and defeated the Rancor without his saber :cool:

I think the trailer indicates this film will be the best parts of the first 2 films with a modern tone and a few surprises. I'm hyped for it :D Also hearing that his S emblem stands for hope reminded me of Luke. I still love hearing the Brando line voiced by now Crowe.

it was a touching scene and probably the best moment for Luke in all of FotJ.

well the comic bills him as having an equal importance to the story.....yet we have to witness it.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    They could have shown us how Luke got in. But then that would have ruined Luke's quiet, badass entrance :cool:

kataja likes this.
  17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    it adds a bit mystery and intrigue on what Luke can do ;) although if it's anything like the deleted scene where he builds his saber, I would have wanted it in the picture

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I liked that scene, but from a directors point of view, I agree it was absolutely the right call to make leaving it out. It's pretty hard today imagining what it's like to view a Star Wars movie for the first time, but as it is, there's a great deal of mystery surrounding Luke's entrance: what is he going to do? Why's he wearing a dark hood and choking people like Vader? Did he ever manage to get a lightsaber (him drawing a blaster and fighting the Rancor empty handed would say no)? Can't imagine it being as suspenseful with that scene in there. It makes the moment where the Sail Barge music kicks in all the better, especially since we'd never seen Luke kick that much ass before.

When Luke tells Jabba to surrender or die, even we aren't sure how he's going to back that threat up... yet somehow, we know he's not lying :p

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    agreed, and also the deleted scene was suppose to leave it ambiguous if Luke was trailing to the DS when hearing his father which seem to be a whole sub plot that was later thrown out in the final film. I'm glad that it wasn't included as it didn't make sense for Luke to falling to the DS after he refused Vader in ESB, choosing death than evil.

20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:
    I have absolutely NO idea! It was silly and out-of-character, in my opinion.

I know that Luke helped to release her from Abeloth, but it seemed that he did that by killing her.

Sadly though, after those enjoyable books that you and Striker mentioned, things fell apart and the galaxy and the characters (including Luke!) have never recovered or been the same.

dewback_rancher:
    DEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been FAR too long!!!

I actually have to say that I'm cautiously optimistic about the new ST. I think it's an opportunity to get new and exciting stories about Luke, Leia, and Han, and their offspring, and an opportunity to purge some of the terrible ES stories we've gotten in the EU and keep what's good.

There is a new comic book called Star Wars, which I haven't read yet, but which takes place in the Rebellion era. I haven't read iit yet, but have heard that Leia's role seems to be the biggest. I don't think that Luke has much of a role yet. I didn't like hearing that Luke seemed more interested in a girl than in his duties in it. Nor did I like the idea that Luke didn't seem to really reflect on all that had happened to him in ANH. I thought this comic would be the perfect opportunity to do that. I shouldn't be too negative though, as I haven't read it and maybe I will see things differently after I have read it.

I really would like to get more stories about Luke and his Jedi on missions helping others and solving problems. Maybe that's what we'll get in the new animated series that will take the place of TCW that's supposed to be happening in the not too distant future.

But it's really good to have you back again! You've been missed!

MasterSkywalker86:
    That's what I'm hoping too! Most important to me will be that Luke has started to restore the Jedi Order; that he and the Jedi are respected and admired; and that Luke gets to have a family.

We can all hope that they will!

instantdeath:
    Or, at least, it's LIKELY that he will be in it. I still think that there hasn't been definite confirmation, right?

Do you know when that one will come out, ID?
    Very definitely!!! Luke could use that kind of story too!

I'm always happy to see Luke in any era, but we've been getting so much of the Rebellion-era Luke lately, and I would like to see more quality stories about Luke as a Jedi Master, yes. I think I'm especially interested in seeing the Jedi Master Luke in something new because what we have been getting from Del Rey that involves Luke hasn't been very good, in my opinon.

More another time!

21. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I guess my problem with being optimistic about the Sequel Trilogy is that I tried being optimistic for TCW and it bit me in the backside one too many times. Things like the whole still-unresolved Even Piell mess, what they did with Barriss Offee (who I was a fan of until just recently and because of TCW; there's also the fact that those episodes, to my understanding, are all about how the Jedi were hopelessly corrupt and needed to be excised (with Filoni backup that her senitment was right even if not her actions, barf)), and of course, it being Disney, whom I'm rather familiar with as far as how they treat expanded-universe materials (answer: trample into the dirt. Don't believe me? Look up all the Lion King stuff they put out, series of books and a TV show, and all of it was ruthlessly ignored with the sequels).

Also, given my favorite movie is Pete's Dragon (pretty good kids' flick, great for when one is feeling blue), and my noting Disney can't even keep the titular dragon's name's spelling straight in any of their merchandise (in the opening credits it's spelled "Elliott", yet in merch that is only as common as the misspellings "Elliot" and "Eliott"- the most egregious case is in the whole find-the-dragon game on the DVD releases, where you get it spelled both "Elliot" and "Elliott" on screen at the same time!).... yeah. I have experience with Disney ignoring "trivial details" of the kind we discuss here in SOS all the time.

Also, there's the fact that ever since I saw what TCW did, I could see something in the Post-ROTJ era having even more of a ripple effect on canon (given the OT-and-after era is literally the foundation of the EU as we know it; muck around with that, it effects everything!). Then we get the announcement that we're getting something in the post-ROTJ era.

And given that experience with Disney and their shoddy attention to detail in their merch and how they treat expanded universe material, added to this sort of thing being a personal doomsday scenario for the franchise, and then seeing the damage TCW did to the canon (we still don't know who Jax Pavan's Master was for Pete's sake!), it's just hard to be optimistic.

I desparately want to, mind. Hence the long time away. Just needed time to let it stew for a while instead of having it all hitting me at once, you know?

Also, I like the analogy of the OT being one big movie. I really do like that. See, for me, The Empire Strikes Back simply does not work without Return of the Jedi coming on its heels. I'm rather glad I'm too young to have seen the films in theaters when they were released (missed ROTJ by being born two years too late!). I can honestly say TESB would've depressed the crap out of me without the happy ending I get from a marathon view and just popping in ROTJ!

Also, seeing how much everyone's excited to see me, well... few things are better for self esteem than seeing how much one's loved! [:D]

But yeah, not a huge fan of the direction SW has taken lately. I mean, what's the point of the Return of the Jedi being such a good thing if they're all horrible people? :oops:

Just... not enough light in the franchise anymore. It's hard to be optimistic when the canon is doing the equivalent of slapping you in the face repeatedly with a half-rotten trout. [face_laugh]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, exactly. He is simply put a sidekick to Leia in this story. So far the story revolves mostly around Leia, Han and Mon Mothma.
    But we'll get other arcs and there Luke will hopefully play a larger role.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Well Dew I would tend to agree with you save for the fact that Disney has allowed Marvel free reign and they have greatly prospered without compromising their franchises. I think the fact that Disney hired a competent director and writer both who have a love of the OT and a understanding of why it works is a step in the right direction. Kasdan n Lucas consulting doesn't hurt either, would say to be cautiously optimistic

24. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I guess that'ts the trait that Luke and Superman share - along with Captain America. I never knew Cap before the recent movie (whihc was very good, I think), but while I've always loved Luke, I've never seen the charme about Superman. Then again, maybe his problem simply has been taht he's never been fleshed out to grip me - and never had a slightly ambiguous actor like Mark Hamill to portray him and make him interesting.

Definitely a good trailer! BTW, I really think the young actor who plays 13-year old Superman has a good Hamill vibe!

What do you mean by without looking out for no. 1?

OMG, you're so right! I had completely forgotten we didn't know Luke had a lghtsaber back then! Thing is, though, that I remember knowing he had one already when i went inot the theater - because of the posters. So published pictures kinda deleated that surprise...:(

I hope so too. Then again, I'm ok with Luke ot being always in center - as long as his characterization is good! And if his plot is meaningful it's even better. So far in this series, I think a lot of prompts (is that the right word?) that could indicate different directions his story could take (he's tryng to talk to Leia about what's happened, Leia turn to his as her friend, Wedge is wary of him because he feels Luke's too cocky, Luke IS too cocky when comes to Prithi, is Leia jealous?, etc) - and they play quite interestingly with what we know will happen (he will not only survive but his humble strike will overcome his recklessness, he and Wedge will become friends, Leia's his sister etc.) I think there's amazingly much, considering he's gotten relatively little screentime. I'm pretty sure he'll get the on-screen time it needs to develope this stuff!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Kataja- I'd recommend the Superman/Batman books to you, as far as 'making Superman a likeable compelling character'.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/victoria_wayne/supbat/public_enemies_04.jpg

Basically, here's Batman and Superman going through the sewers to the Batcave after having their butts handed to them by Metallo. Superman has a Kryptonite bullet near his heart, and despite the obvious pain he's in, he cracks jokes. And you can tell this is the kind of conversation he and Batman have all the time. Actually, a later book has Superman note that whenever Batman's in a bad mood he always brings up Krypto the Superdog against him. Really, everyone's written well in these. :D

These books are actually great for both characters. Highly recommend them. They also made an animated feature out of the particular one above- Superman/Batman Public Enemies.

And I shall attempt to be cautiously optimistic. Because I want to hope, despite all the evidence. ;)

instantdeath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.