main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    The Wrecking Crew... Childhood favorites.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My only complaint about the Watchmen film was a few moments(literally seconds) of Matrix Kung-Fu mis-use.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, let's see:

A plague on both your houses!

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I really dislike the The Watchmen comic. A constant downpour of gloom from the safety of an isolated writer's hut. The cynicism that's at the heart of it is that of a 16-year-old. Pessimism is always the easy route--paint a bleak picture, and flocks of frustrated, unhappy, distrustful teenagers will tag along, thinking they've been shown a glimpse of the secret mechanics of The System.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Watchmen comic was very good imo. Rorschach was the best character.

6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I mean, it is more than that. We are not SUPPOSED to like Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias are clearly not pessimistic characters.

Your criticism is much more valid re: everything Frank Miller has ever written. Alan Moore wrote most of the best comics I have ever read.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's a somewhat ironic critique considering Alan Moore is also responsible for several extremely optimistic portrayals of the superheroic archetype. I'd attribute Watchmen's dour atmosphere to his tendency to play around with archetypes and expectations - he rather deliberately sat down, asked himself "What's the most surprising thing I could do with these old Charlton characters - something no one would expect?" and then did just that. And even then, that's only one aspect of it - he's working with a host of ideas and there's a myriad of different ways to attack the book from a variety of angles. Hell, I'm pretty sure you could make the argument that Watchmen is actually an optimistic piece because it asserts that the superhero comic can explicitly tackle tough ethical questions and be taken seriously, without having to discard the past.

Frank T. likes this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

I think I have the issue of Thor that's from -- I had a subscription back in the late 70s early 80s, from approx issue 273 (the fake Ragnarock arc) through 310 or so.

or was that a different appearance of them?

EDIT: Nevermind -- did a google reverse image search -- Iron Fist. I know I've seen that before, though, I think a friend had the issue that's from.

9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Well electro and rhino are small time thugs and hoods not "supervillians", thy rob, thy brawl, but they are't killers and are motivated by base avarice

10. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Read their entries in the Gauntlet and tell me they are just small time thugs. :p

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Gauntlet and Flowers for Rhino are the ultimate Rhino reference works.

I can't believe I just typed that.

12. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    the best villain is the Hand

Here's
    A
    Ninja
    Die!

They are so underutilized, same with the Vampires, they never rise above mooks and special mooks.

But that's me, I love Ninjas!

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah also the skrulls used Electro to break all the villains outta the RAFT in the New Avengers Breakout story arc..

Electro isn't small time at all...

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    how is a random ninja who never has any dialogue considered a good villain...

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Wrecking Crew is cool. But after Frost Giants, Loki, Destroyer Armor, soon to be Thanos and so on, I am not sure they will make proper epic level villains for Thor or the Avengers.

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I wish they would make a DC vs. Marvel movie.

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    it would horrible

18. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Regardless of whether or not it would horrible, I would enjoy it for the schlock. The Avengers gives me the tiniest hope that in the right hands it could rock.

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    it would be so stupid and would have to be 4 hours long for any of it to make sense. Hashing out tons of characters, who they are, their motivations. Visually the fight scenes would be cool but other than that id be so terrible.. Some things don't translate to the big screen. Hence Watchmen.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So long as they were not stupid enough to use Amalgam as a base of any sort then it could be cool. But films are far behind the comics on this item.

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    amalgam, ugh what a utter disgrace that was... The characters blended together, how hideous they were.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I really enjoyed Amalgam, honestly, it had a lot of fun little japes at characters' history, and Bruce Wayne: Agent of SHIELD was awesome.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    OMG you should be ashamed for your Amalgam love.

wasn't batman and wolverine combined into one entity???

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    It was the 90's though, and technically everyone (not only comic book characters) was combined with Wolverine into one entity.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, and? It was an intentionally silly one-off, it'd be like getting angry that Batboy and Reuben ran roughshod over the Batman mythos.