main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Garrett Atkins, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nope. It just changes the question a bit but it is still basically the same. Instead of asking why some family has much force we now have to ask why that family has much midis, which are equivalent to force. It is basically the same question and there's still no answer to it.

Maybe it isn't meant to be answered exhaustively but even a hint would be nice and result in lots of speculation (good thing).

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    definately, though any time period works

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, the prequels touch on the fact that the Force has a will - perhaps even a plan. Maybe "it" chooses to bestow additional midichlorians to certain fetuses. However, revealing the "will of the Force" is a big no-no for me. That's the biggest mystery there is to the mythos IMO.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I agree with that. The force should remain difficult to comprehend and understand. The prophecy of the chosen one was almost too simplistic and straightforward for my taste.

But that doesn't mean new concepts by force users (who are of course fallible) can't be explored. Maybe someone thinks the force is cyclical in nature or has multiple wills, multiple conflicting personalities so to speak. Maybe the forces "will" is just the combination of the desires of all the countless beings in the universe and subject to their whims? Any such concept would be interesting to explore.

KotoR II went in depth about the force and offered some interesting theories about it. It was fascinating.

Ryus likes this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    And then finally, Peter Jackson released LOTR movies and is releasing The Hobbit Movies annually as well - consistent in quality and in quantity.

If anything, I'm totally relieved to hear this news - I was worried they'll try to force Star Wars to meet their insanely high movie-a-year standard. Odds are, Indiana Jones films will likely be added to the bunch.

Wow, wouldn't it be weird to get an Indiana Jones film to come out the same year as a Star Wars film?

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think SW itself would have been a better example than Batman. I watched the OT over and over again as a kid but then the prequels made me look at them in a completely new way, and appreciate them in a new way ;) :p

7. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Exactly. Overthinking it would just lead to more unhappiness. It's fine to think, but follow the advice of this guy:

[​IMG]

Samayel_ likes this.
  8. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I'm sorry, but this is the type of debate that is bound to come up more and more in the future and I have to say I completely disagree with the view that the ST will be considered separate from the OT or PT in the sense that it will be like a "live action EU" George Lucas is passing on the power of G-canon to Kennedy and therefore G-canon = K-canon = LFL-canon = D-canon. Besides GL will still have some creative controls, no matter what he is publicly designated, whether it's "creative consultant" or "star wars guru" or "Skywalker Emeritus" it doesn't matter. Then on top of all that, by bringing in people like Kasdan, it adds to the "canonical authority" of the ST.

In 100 years, if Disney still exists, and they still own Lucasfilm, D-canon will be the same as what you call G-canon now, no matter who is in charge at Lucasfilm. Think of it like the Papacy, and George Lucas being Peter. There are bound to be disputes about canon though, the further down the line we get away from Lucas himself. At least he personally appointed Kennedy AND supplied the story elements AND is still around as Star Wars Jedi Emeritus.

WatTamborWoo and eht13 like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope the Sith don't get resurrected but I agree that its not that hard to create a new villain.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I can't be the only one who zones out every time the whole Q-canon F-canon X-canon ******** comes up.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Off the top of my head
    Luke still has to recreate the Jedi Order,
    The Rebel Alliance has to become the controlling government,
    Lando might want to get Cloud City back,
    Hutts might want revenge on Han and Leia,
    The rest of the Empire is still out there,

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    In my eyes it's concluded, there is the finished movie Saga, then there's the books and whatnot. Anything in the ST and the following movies I'll watch with a grain of salt.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  13. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    It doesn't matter what George said anymore.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Apparently it's not concluded.

I don't see new things will "destroy" anything that came before them. They won't go house to house burning your copies and forcing you to just watch the ST.
    That sort of fatalistic attitude is getting quite tiring.

Wait and see how the new stuff turns out.
    If you like it, great, enjoy it.
    If you don't, too bad, don't watch it.

15. Resolution

Resolution Jedi Padawan

Mar 12, 2013
    It will be a new original story. Remember?

16. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The Saga isn't over until Lando plants his ass on the Emperor's throne!

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, it's concluded. It was concluded when ROTJ came out. But obviously that's not going to stop them from dragging out the epilogue and tacking on a whole new story.

-shrugs-

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    This is why I keep it simple: Anything that is a movie made by George Lucas is cannon. Anything else is EU. The ST and the Disney "SW movies of the week" are EU.

oierem likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope, sorry, still bored to tears.

20. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    That depend. I think we've got two possible point of view on that question. The first is that the Saga was finally intented to be the story of the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker in 6 episodes. The second is that George did writte some possible scenario for a sequel to the OT, so that he seriously considered at some point to make more than 6 films. Therefore it is possible to say that Lucasfilm/Disney is building on the continuation of George's ideas. As a fan I am more inclined to lean toward the second option, because it means new Star Wars films and exciting new possibilities for this Universe. Also, this new trilogy is fully backed by it's original creator George Lucas.

21. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    There is no such thing as utopia. War war war. Humanity. War. Our history is total war. The earth is enveloped in the dark side.We live on the Death Star.... STAR WAR!!!!

22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Concerning Lucas himself saw fit to outline the new trilogy as well as the new film being referred to by EVERYONE as Episode VII, I think everyone should accept the FACT that the new trilogy is a continuation of the saga and that you were all tricked by Lucas' "The films are all about Darth Vader," nonsense.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The films 1-9 are the Skywalker saga. That will be the new tagline instead of the Tragedy of Darth Vader stuff.

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    The prequels were once "the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi"........

Nothing is ever concluded.....I mean.....do we really want to close the Luke Skywalker saga with a party on Endor ?

I don't want SW Episode 7 to feel like Luke's epilogue, but if they go "Obi-Wan in ANH" kind of route....E7 will be a worthy conclusion to an awesome character.

I can't wait to have Luke grace the screen again.....I love the ROTJ cut scene where he built his lightsaber.......for a brief moment...it felt like a ST scene....a Master Luke scene.......I don't know why

BTW, if you think the SW saga will be concluded with Episode 9....dream again......in years 2025 - 2030.....people will clamor for a whole new trilogy about the main characters "INTRODUCE" in the ST.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ROTJ always felt like the end to me because I knew that's what it was. I realize this now, and it's kind of a weird feeling to realize that the story really doesn't have to end there. The next time I watch ROTJ and the party on Endor, it should be interesting to see if it feels different knowing now that there's more to come. By the way, I haven't read the post-ROTJ EU, so that hasn't entered into my view of all this.