main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What things from the PT do you want the ST to keep?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'd love a villain who is Dangerously Genre Savvy and really forces the heroes into desperate situations. Maybe even stick in a Sadistic Choice here or there for good measure.

Perfect example of such a villain:
    Ozymandias in Watchmen:
    “Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago.”

A good Well-Intentioned Extremist or Knight Templar character (with better characterization than say, Count Dooku) would probably be my first choice for a villain, but really, any type in the spectrum of Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic Evil works so long as the villain has a compelling backstory and/or motivation.

starmin76 and kubricklynch like this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't know, I merely want them to respect and homage them as much as the originals.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing some of the worlds. I also wouldn't mind seeing the fighters from ROTS. They were pretty cool and it would be cool if someone had an old, junky modified version in the ST.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Star Fighters in ROTS are amazing. Just as iconic as the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter to me.

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    They would be to me as well, if not for the cheat of the astromech slot. There's maybe a couple frames in the ROTS opening fly-in that seems to show R4-P17's feet danging out beneath the fighter, yet an underside shot of Anakin's ship shows no R2-D2 feet/torso, and a later shot of the green fighter at Padme's apartment has R2's lower half visible just hanging under the ship in the behind-the-scenes green-screen shot, but in the final in-movie shot looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    ...which is really, really bad. X-wings & Y-wings remain far more iconic than the Eta-2 to me, since they feel a lot more 'realistic', partly because there's no reason to question how the droid fits in those ships. With the Jedi Starfighters (aside from TCW's Delta-7B) and Naboo starfighters, they require strange explanations or hand-waving "Eh, it's a cheat, don't think about it". If they didn't feel the need to make the Eta-2s so tiny & slim that astromech sockets present a problem, or simply didn't use astromechs at all making 'em a tighter precursor to the TIE fighter, I'd call 'em my favorite design from the PT.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll give you that. The R2 problems with the Eta 2 and the ship from AOTC is weird. I have no answer for that. I didn't even notice that. That type of thing doesn't usually bother me.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    R2's previously unmentioned, unprecedented abilities include having a telescopic torso and legs. His lower half is simply 'collapsed' when he sits comfortably in that slot.

Toonimator likes this.
  8. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Good villains have characterizations and depth, and a reason they are fighting the protagonist (assuming the film has one of those). Not cardboard-thin random bad guys who are there to fight just because.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    You're forgetting that Vader was visually stunning and still possessed a backstory and distinct personality. The qualities don't have to be exclusive to one another. I bet Disney and LucaFilm could create a villain with all the traits you mentioned if they wanted to. In fact, they should strive to do just that. My advice would be to not make him or her a Sith. Give the Sith a break. If you're going to resurrect them, resurrect them in the trilogy that comes after the next one.

starmin76 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't care how much from the PT is put into the ST, as long as the whole saga feels like one continuous story. Don't want the ST to be OT clones.

Bob Octa, VMeran, Seagoat and 5 others like this.
  11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is the best thing they can do!

People wanted more of the same from the prequels and instead got garbage... Take The Hobbit for Eg, the originals were awesome! Jackson changed the tone and feel for the new films = no thanks!

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Are you being sarcastic? I genuinely can't tell.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm being serious.

The original Star Wars films were awesome -Prequels were horrible. (Darth Maul is exempt)
    LOTR's was awesome -Hobbit film was not that good.

I put it down to the change in tone for the Hobbit...

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Speak for yourself. That's the last thing I wanted from the PT and it is the last thing I want the from the ST. I want the sequels to stand on their own and not be a rehash of the originals. I want it to have its own tone and style and its own uniqueness. More of the same would just bore me and that goes for both the OT and PT. Give me something new.

15. Herewegoagain

Herewegoagain Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2013
    John Williams and Ben Burtt.

Everything/everyone else is expendable.

16. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I thought the duel between Anakin and Dooku in AoTC was very well done. The camera was close-up, the only light in the close-up shots was from their lightsabre blades. I liked the fact that they gave Dooku an elegant style of duelling, as well as his rather elegant lightsabre design.

I was underwhelmed by the Anakin vs Obi Wan duel at the end of RoTS. It wasn't so much the battle between the two itself but more, as others have also said, the fighting whilst standing on a pipe above a lava pit, the fighting on the droids floating above the lava etc. That went way too far over the top for me.

As for the sequel trilogy, I'd like to see both the speed and intensity, as well as the more patient, elegant style of lightsabre duelling that a Jedi Master of Luke's age and experience would have mastered. Even though he wasn't trained in the traditional way, I'd hope that the years between Episode VI and Episode VII will have seen him further develop his abilities - i.e. Luke won't need to leap about everywhere at 100 miles per hour. He will possess the abilities and the skills to dictate the nature and pace of a duel.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I don't think I've ever read anybody unironically complained for not getting "more of the same" like this. This is probably the clearest expression I've ever seen with what's wrong not only with SW fandom, but the culture in general.

"More of the same"? God help us.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The way I see it, the OT and the PT each have their own feel, but still maintain the same Star Wars core feeling, if you get my drift. I hope that I can also one day say this about all three pieces of the saga.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    John Williams. Ben Burrt doing sound(no film editing!). ILM. The name Star Wars. That's about it.

20. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    What should they keep from the PT to the ST?

Kiera Knightley

The blue Republic naval uniforms. Jedi with powers like those in the PTs and not the EU uber-Jedi. I think I'll watch the movies again this weekend because I'm not coming up with anything else.

As for those whining about not going back to Tatooine? Come on, the only ST movies that didn't have Tatooine were ESP and the two Ewok movies. ANH? Yes. RotJ? Yes. TPM? Yes. AotC? Yes. RotS? Yes (well, technically filmed during AotC, but you get the point).

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So what? Just because it was there most of the time doesn't mean we have to go back to the place every movie. The new movie should come with a fresh smell, not be a rehash of the old.

The Hellhammer and Bob Octa like this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, enough with Tatooine already. Huge galaxy out there.

Random Comments and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I guess it depends on how a person defines "more of the same." For me, "more of the same" means having John Williams do the soundtrack, having groundbreaking special effects, making the story about the Skywalker family, having wisecracking characters like Han and Chewbacca to help lighten the tone at times, having a villain similar to Darth Vader that the audience can both revile (because of his evil actions) and feel sympathy for (he was tricked by Palpatine) at the same time, among other things.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Golden Jedi Knight

Nov 2, 2012
    Yes, "astromech" is simply a synonym for "Autobot."

25. Golden Jedi Knight

Nov 2, 2012

The air superheated by the lava (not to mention poisonous gases) should've burned the lungs of Anakin and Obi-Wan. That alone would've been enough to kill them both, some would argue. I guess the Force somehow gave them higher resistance to the tumultuous conditions on Mustafar?

I'd like to see Luke do some fancy stuff with his lightsaber. Maybe he could fling the lightsaber around the room and take out a whole bunch of bad guys at once. Yoda lifted an X-Wing into the air; I'd like to see Luke lift something that size or slightly bigger (without getting too big . . . lifting an Imperial walker would seem fine to me . . . pulling a Star Destroyer out of orbit like in "Force Unleashed," well, no).

TheManFromMortis likes this.