main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info New movie every summer beginning 2015 confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 17, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Marvel had less to strip away?

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't like this news. It'll be too easy to get "Star Wars" fatigue. A new episode every year will be stale, and keep it from feeling like it's an event and a part of an epic saga. Instead, it'll feel like a new Call of Duty game - boring, redundant, and stale.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    As long as the force is with them and it is done well, then I'm all for it!

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    CoD got old since they stopped caring about single player (the failure of tons of series of late such as TOR, Mass Effect, Gear of War, Halo, CoD, etc..), the new games where really glorified map packs with a few game chages, and 11 year olds constantly kicking your butt in multiplayer (actually my 8 year next door neighbor just kicked my butt in it... ).

Marvel hasnt gotten stale, in fact its gotten better. Star Wars has a very good chance of surviving a long time under Disney, especially since so far its been treated as quality matters. Star Wars also is a mch larger universe due to the EU than Marvel with around 30,000 years of history to mess with... it doesnt even need Jedi or Sith in the spinoff films so those movies could be remarkably different.

Yes the potential for oversaturation is there and some films will be better than others but that is true of every franchise. Even if the worst does happen and Star Wars oversaturates the market, it will only be a decade or two till some one reboots it and we Star Wars fans have learned patience more so than just about any other fans of a franchise. We can wait that long.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I really don't understand that logic. Do TV shows end up feeling stale for putting out material once a week, 10-20 times a year? Is a film a year between 2015-2019 really going to be any less special than 4 seasons of Game of Thrones?

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, I'm nervous about this. I'm all for quality over quantity and I hope they don't fall into that trap.

Also, going by this model, I think there could be a thing as 'too much Star Wars.' Of course, I'm going to try to remain optimistic that something like that won't happen, but I think it's a very real risk that we should be aware of. I'd hate to hear people groan and moan every time a new Star Wars film is announced (sorta like those sub-par sequels that Disney is so infamous for).

Hitchhiking-Ghost and GGrievous like this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Ok Disney you confirmed 2015 so give us the exact release date then !
    Quantity never harmed Marvel so sounds all good to me but in 2020 I hope they slow it down a little & then release one every 2 years , I can understand why they are doing this cause they made a hell of an investment so are entitled to get some money back.......

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it is 2015 where are they going to put it? The Avengers 2 comes out on the 1st May and Pirates of the Caribbean 5 comes out on 10th July. Must be sometime in June. I bet all the other studios hate Disney.

Vastor, eht13 and darklordoftech like this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to be excited about this for now. I'm excited about E7 and the spin-offs, no matter who they are about. I think an Episode in the story arc every two to three years with a character movie in between is a good pace, better than one movie every two to three years and not have a new Episode for a longer span of time.

But I'm also hoping for good quality, but I think if anyone can do that, it's Disney.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've lived long enough to see SW fans complain about the prospect of too much SW :p

I just got finished watching the Hornblower Series (eight 90 minute features) the Lonesome Dove series (four 5 hour movies) all 7 seasons of ST DS9, and I'm reading the Wheel of Time series which is 14 books, over 200,000 pages and 5 million words long. As long as a thing is done right, there's no reason it shouldn't stay fresh!

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I am afraid of a movie every year killing the novelty.

12. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    I agree.

It is getting that way with all the Marvel movies. They were awesome when they started out, but it is becoming overkill.

13. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Personally I'm sick of Marvel.

It's the greedy relentlessness of Feige's "vision" that I can't stand, the undisguised and unashamed milking of the cash cow. This week RDJ talked about leaving the role that relaunched his career, and the thing is that it doesn't matter. The machine is already in motion. Iron Man 4 will arrive in a couple of years' time, regardless. Perhaps they'll be ready to reboot him by then.

Speaking of which, just when do you think they'll get round to rebooting the OT? In ten years? Twenty? It will happen.

14. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    This is great news and I think they will make quality movies. So far they have hired some of the best people in the business to produce, write and direct. Based on the picture per year model we can expect that different teams will work on different films, so there shouldn't be creative burn out. I also think that skilled and highly motivated teams are more likely to make good movies. George is great and I hope he will continue to be involved but there are certain perils involved when the person who owns the company is trying to finance, come up with the story, write the script and direct the picture himself with few if any collaborators around who can honestly tell him if something doesn't quite work. I only wish they had started doing this around 1985.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I could care less if it becomes "oversaturated" I ain't never gonna get sick of it!

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Whoa...whoa whoa whoa. Say what you will about those other games, but the current Halo games' single-player campaigns are just as good now as the original one is.

But Halo 3: ODST will always be my true love <3 'dat music, 'dat atmosphere, 'dem Firefly/Battlestar Galactica voice actors...I love it so, so much.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair, I got old for other reasons, too.

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^True, but for me lack of single player campain lasting more than 10 hours was its down fall (I usually demand 20 hour games too, so my 10 hour standard there was pretty low for me... I dont even think it hits 4 hours any more)

ODST... seriously o_O?

Well I suppose it was better than 2 and subjectivly 3... and anything is better than Reach where I guessed how everyone would die correctly less than 10 minutes into and in the right order too. However 1 imho was miles better than the others, though 4 was pretty good too (till the end where it got a bit cliched)

19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Absolutely. That game impacted me like no other has or probably ever will. The atmosphere was perfect, the music was beautiful, the characters were great, and the noir-esque story was very much to my liking. I can't get enough of it.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Awesome man.

New SW movie to look forward to every Summer for years to come,.

The movies made close together COULD suck, but then again, they could make movies many years apart that suck, so I don't see that it is really that much of a concern. Some of the movies will be better than others no matter the length between, that is just the way of the world. We should just be happy that we don't have to wait forever anymore.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Remember, their plan is for one a year. That was also the plan for Pixar waaay back. And they finally reached their one film a year goal years later. It took them a while.

22. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I just had another fangasm![face_dancing] As for people who are worried [face_nail_biting] about the "novelty" wearing off :oops: I think that if you are watching movies, especially movies that have multiple sequels / prequels / novelizations / comic adaptations / etc., you are probably looking in the wrong place for "novelty" to begin with. It's also pretty sad how obsessed some people are with the idea of "novelty" in general. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Neophilia-A-New-Disease-For-A-New-Era-27666.shtml ... That there is a great article that only begins to scratch the surface. I don't keep coming back to Star Wars for "novelty". [face_shame_on_you] I keep coming back to Star Wars for many reasons: Action, Adventure, Great characters, diverse species, the Skywalkers, conflict resolutions, the music, etc, etc, etc. :)

This is great news! [face_love] (<<<<< That's me, gushing ...O:) )

Lee_, Ryus and Circular_Logic like this.
  23. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Another thing to throw out there: People are worried that, with a film coming out each year, they will be rushed and as a result the quality will plummet. That is, however, most likely not the case. It seems quite obvious that these films will each be tackled by different creative groups, thus allowing for a lot of overlap in production schedules. In late 2014/early 2015, when Episode VII is in post-production, a separate group of filmmakers can begin shooting the next film. While the 2016 film is shooting, the 2017 film will be in pre-production, and so on and so forth. So sure, we'll be getting a movie every year, but each one will be handled with its own care independently over a reasonable span of time as well.

24. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    My concern is if the standalone films will be set in the same era as the ST. I sincerely hope not. Getting films about the Old Republic or the Dark Times would go a long way in keeping the experience feeling fresh, despite having a new movie every year.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Meh, who cares when what comes out?

I'm getting 7-9....I'm happy. Those are going to be two years apart. Fine by me! :cool:

BTW: Summer release....YES! [face_dancing]