main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU and the film forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Placeholder, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I will consult the EU to come up with an answer for this.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think there should be a movie only forum, I was told my thread in the saga forum was redundant. The problem is, there is no where else to go if you want to stay away from the EU.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was always my understanding in the film forums. And I like some of the EU, dislike other parts of it. The only time it irritates me when people completely disregard the EU is when they formulate a theory about events off screen, I mention that a novel has a different explanation, and am told, "Well, I disregard the EU so you must accept my own interpretation, which I pulled out of my head."

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I find that the opposite is true, that people want to force their EU explanations on people like me, even after they are told that I'm not interested. They want to tell me day after day and thread after thread why I'm wrong to not be interested.

I'm not telling anyone not to enjoy the EU, I shouldn't have to justify why I don't embrace it if I'm not in an EU forum.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a real problem here. I felt that way when I started this thread weeks ago, and I feel even stronger about it now.

Apparently, that is a minority opinion. That's fine, I still hold it

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm interested in your interpretation of a primary example that I've found.

In the 873659265 tiresome debates about the Tusken slaughter, someone almost always mentions that Anakin spent hours conducting a search to ensure that every Tusken was dead. I and others have replied that the AOTC novelization gives a more detailed explanation of the slaughter than the film does and indicates that Anakin was in a blind rage and was not "searching," he dropped a rock on a tent using the Force--and have been told that "I don't care what the novel says, I say there was a search, and you need to stop pretending that there wasn't a search."

Mmmmkay. I'm past the point of caring whether any poster here thinks Anakin conducted a search that night, but I'm not sure why my acceptance of the novelization's explanation of events means that I am "playing dumb" (yes, those words were used at least once) when I argue that there was no search.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you want to stay away from the EU, stay away from the EU. What do you do in real life when people talk about things you aren't interested in? Asking that entire conversations be constructed around what you are or aren't interested in is pretty ridiculous. At the end of the day, it's just Star Wars... come on. Do you seriously lose sleep over this?

I mean, I think the EU is crap, but I don't get bent out of shape over people talking about it. I generally laugh at those people, crack a joke at their expense, and move along.

7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I would say that the movie is unclear as to exactly how long and far Anakin maintained the attack. Obviously he did not wipe out the race of Tuskins since they continue to exist, how many he killed is unclear.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No, I do not lose sleep, it does effect my enjoyment of the board.

I'm talking about people directly interacting with me. Not telling people what they converse about.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What do you think would happen if you chose not to respond to those posts?

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not so concerned with the logistics really; hell, at this point I've been in so many of those discussions and gotten so tired of them that people can think that Anakin spent days wiping out every Tusken on Tatooine via Force-choke and I wouldn't care. My point was more that I feel in that example that I am being told that I'm "playing dumb" if I do accept the novel's explanation, which is the opposite of what you're talking about.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That could be said about any kind of issue. I could follow you around from this moment on saying all kinds of crazy and terrible things, you could choose not to respond. It wouldn't mean that you should have to deal with it

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And you are right, that is wrong. You should be free to enjoy that explanation if it works for you

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And you can't make jokes at their expense, you get mod edited for making it personal.

If I was allowed to take the kid gloves off, I would like nothing more. I wouldn't bother with threads like this.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This is 90% of the problem with the Episode 7 & EU thread.

Snarky comments are a way to look down on others and basically belittle what they are trying to say or how they may feel.

I wouldn't take this as an example of how one should be acting on these forums.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Well, generally I wouldn't go into the EU thread and bitch about people talking about the eu.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Captain Tom Coughlin

No one seems to have a serious issue with the occasional bit of EU content cropping up in the movies forums but you, and EU specific threads get locked or moved.

As for starting your own thread where you presumably felt you'd be able to slap down anyone who drifted from whatever personal view you have of what constitutes the true vision of Star Wars - no chance.

You need to drop this now, if you continue to drag out this non-issue I will consider it trolling.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    This is not trolling, this is exactly the stated purpose of this area of the forum. Raising suggestions, I have broken no rule here. And you don't get to tell me whether or not my concerns are valid. Unless you care to tell me specifically where I have crossed a line

And the point of that thread isn't to "slap people down":, it was to separate and remove conflict.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    To the overzealous mod, I think dude is overreacting, but he's not trolling.

To dude who is overreacting, get over it. You can't expect people to follow your vision of how a conversation should take place. It's a bunch of people talking about a movie... not life or death.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think you get my point though. I'm not talking about people having conversations that touch on the EU. There are many people here who do that every day who never hear a peep from me. I'm talking about the people who quote your posts, and follow you day in day out forcing the EU down your throat. I'm not talking about people's conversations, I'm talking about interactions with me specifically.

This is what I'm talking about, day after day of examples like this:

Is asking for a small section of the forum dedicated to pure movie talk really such a crazy idea? Would it not result in less, and not more, problems?

And thank you for sticking up for me :)

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    A wise man once said...

"The forthcoming Star Wars EP VII vs EU Canon Debate:
    You do realise you'll be arguing that one set of FICTION is more "real" or less "real" than another set of FICTION?"

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And you are right, I should do a better job of not getting sucked in.

That doesn't mean my point isn't valid though.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Tom, if you aren't trolling, you need the cry more thread.

And if this is the hot topic, comms has gone downhill. Where is the fifty pages of outrage about the letter F being banned?

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your point isn't valid, because it doesn't matter.

And for the record, out of all the Star Wars stories out there, I like precisely two; ANH and ESB.

24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You know what, you're right. I won't cry. The next time it happen I'm just going to take the gloves off and fight. I'll go down swinging. This place probably isn't for me anyway.

consider the case closed

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, come on... fight for something that matters... end homelessness, feed the children, end racism, end homophobia. You're going to go down swinging over a bunch of fanboys talking about books? Don't be a dummy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.