main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Weeeellll...it is Palpy we're talking about :p

2. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    Hey my lovely ones of the one true path that is shinning like the blazing sun.

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm reading Wild Space, since I was told it's a grand Obi-wan and Bail Organa adventure (and since I'm writing both of those for Rebirth... I couldn't help myself) and it is quite the adventure... but there are scenes from Palpy's point of view and I just want to throw the book away. He's just so arrogant, and I know the Jedi were too but he's always (at least in what I've read) written to be so frustratingly "haha puny Jedi you're dumb and I'm smart"... I admit that he did a very good job of acting and pretending to be good but there's a point where I just roll my eyes and want to tell him to just STOP

JacensGirl likes this.
  4. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Ugh that sounds frustrating :( FF re-write? :p

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    It's a fun book other than that... or at least, it's a book I'm enjoying, even if the main plot seems to be "how many ways can we nearly kill Obi-wan?" :p

6. Whitelight

Aug 10, 2007
    I need to maybe pick up the book Wild Space to read it.

7. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I've become burnt out when it comes to the Clone Wars. Between all the novels (Shatterpoint ftw) and comics I've read and however many televisions series they made out of it, I'm completely done with it [face_laugh]

8. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    I think the cartoon alone is going to burn me out... I like it but there's sooo many episodes... now I know why I don't bother with cable. :p

Also, BultarSwan I wrote up my assignment on one of the previous pages. I forgot to tag you, though, so I'm not sure if you saw it. :)

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Before someone conned me into watching the Clone Wars, the entirety of my interest in that area was my love of Obi-wan and the PT. But the badness of the PT put me off of that entire time, and I read a few bad comics so I never wanted to get into it... safe to say my 200+ SW novels read is increasing rapidly now that I've gotten into watching TCW and such.

10. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I saw JG. :D Thanks for the tag though, always a good idea. :)

Your task was very well-thought-out. Good job. JacensGirl

11. The Saarai'ari

The Saarai'ari Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2013
    The thing I wonder most about Book of Sith is the part with Mace Windu's comments regarding Sith alchemy. Says that living alchemy is a practice that's an offense to the Living Force. But what of alchemy on subjects that were never living in the first place, such as metals? Since the Je'daii in the Dawn of the Jedi comics use alchemy without going too far to the Dark side, I wonder if it's a practice that if done right can be performed with the Force and not as an affront to the Living Force itself. Also wonder if the forging techniques used to create their Force-imbued swords also come from an alchemy practice.

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I still haven't watched TCW. Perfectly fine with that too...I'm addicted enough to Stargate :p

13. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I actually liked the war-time era of the Clone Wars for a time mostly due to it being the only era concerning factions on even footing that I got a good look at. Believe it or not, it was mostly the video games like Battlefront, Republic Commando, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars that got me more into the era despite the badness that was the PT. So I went on a Clone Wars phase where I bought nearly all the books and comics concerning it and read them all to get a lot more insight into the conflict that was lost in the prequel trilogy (as you really got one movie that ended with the start of the Clone Wars, and then a movie right after that started with it's end) :p

But the latest cartoon series has kind of burnt me out. I mean, yes, its entertaining and does have its own epic moments (specifically when it comes to episodes that just involve the clones themselves), but its pretty much solidified the impression that I'm getting from the Clone Wars-era nowadays: its a playground. Where authors and directors can just go in and go to town and fight amongst each other when it comes to continuity and "what-if" scenarios (Maul's survival).

I mean the main reason why I enjoy the Clone Wars cartoon series so much right now is that I consider it an Alternate Universe, fanfiction-driven show full of "what-if" scenarios like if Anakin had his own Padawan, if Maul survived and had a brother, etc. :p

14. Whitelight

Aug 10, 2007
    I really think in any place and time there is always more then one path that any one can take or that can't turn out different what if a split second one would done this instead of that. Its only when one can slow down time and really think of what could happen. You take one person out of the picture there always going to be another to take his/her place. Really the question should be if we take this person out what would take their be worse then they was or would it be a little better one never knows.

15. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I disagree with this. Other then the obvious evils of alchemy such as Sith twisting the lives of others, what they're really doing is twisting and giving life where it does not belong no matter the means or reasons.

For a quick explanation (due to the fact that I'm at work and can't elaborate like I'd like to), you're playing as God which is something no mortal should be allowed to do as it is power that can easily corrupt and become disasterous with misuse such as how the Sith use their alchemy and the Vong with their shaping techniques.

16. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Those are some good points/thoughts. I think force powers aren't inherently good or bad. Well, at least not all of them. Some are definitely bad. I think it is behind the user on whether not an ability is good or bad. Take persuasion for example. Jedi use it all of the time to impress a thought on to someone. But that can be used for evil. Like using it to cause someone to allow you to steal something. Or shock. Plo Koon used shock without turning to the dark side. I am not trying to say we should go around using abilities like shock. But I think not all abilities that are counted as dark side abilities are dark side.

JacensGirl likes this.
  17. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
  18. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Thank you :)

BultarSwan likes this.
  19. The Saarai'ari

The Saarai'ari Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2013
    I can understand that. But as I said before, I'm more or less talking about performing it on subjects that are non-living such as metals and maybe rocks. I'll agree that using it on the living, such as sentient beings, animals, plants, and even the dead would be playing God, twisting life, and being an offensive of the Living Force. Best that I think this could do is imbue said metals and rocks with the Force to improve their durability. And in in the Guide to Warfare book, Je'daii katanas are made by fusing high-carbon steel with energy crystals. Such as process I think could only be done probably by usage of an alchemy technique.

Know what you mean. I think it's safe to say techniques such as Force Rage, which draw upon pure anger, Drain Knowledge, which is supposed to violently psychically rip the memories of others to see them, or perhaps various Sith sorcery spells can only be drawn and performed through the Dark side.

One technique I can think of that can probably be performed through the Light side, though usually is done through the Dark side, is Force choke. In Return of the Jedi, when Luke enters Jabba's palace and meets the Gamorrean guards, he uses what looks to be Force choke on them. That, and I think if the choke were applied like as if a blood choke or sleeperhold (Google it) instead as an air choke, it could be done so without the intent to kill. Just to knock out the said subject into unconsciousness.

As for shock, Plo Koon used a technique known as Electric Judgement. It's similar to Force Lightning, but somehow different. In the book, Darth Plageuis, it's said the technique is a fake version of Sith Lightning. Star Wars canon has been quite mixed up in whether or not Electric Judgement and Force Lightning are one in the same, if they are but EJ is just a bit weaker, or they're indeed separate.

JacensGirl likes this.
  20. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Force choke was a better example than shock/electric judgement.
    And yes some are bad techniques. I would say Thought Bomb would fall under bad. I just think not all techniques have to be bad. But I also agree with Sarge that some techniques even if they aren't bad are dangerous because they can corrupt without much discipline.

21. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    In the case of the katanas then that's just a very minor use of alchemy and is a far cry of what the Sith tend to accomplish to the point where I wonder if it can be called alchemy. Reshaping the molecular structure of an item and fusing materials in forging can be done even without the Force as, for example, the creation of beskar involves changes in its molecular structure and combining it with different alloys depending on what the blacksmith wants to create.

For empowering items with the Force there is also a technique called Force Weapon but I do not really think that can be considered as an example of alchemy either.

22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    How about the final act of Lightsaber construction? Where the Jedi binds all the various components into something greater than the sum of those parts through the Force?

23. The_Zeltron

The_Zeltron Jedi Master star 6

Sep 29, 2010
    Wow.... Discussing Jedi stuff in multiple-paragraph posts.... I'm scared there's going to be duel in here. :p

Sarge221 and Chewbacca89 like this.
  24. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    When it comes to lightsaber construction, the Force is used by a Jedi or Sith to become intimately familiar with their lightsaber and to make sure the parts align perfectly. Due to the insight that a Force-user possesses, it allows them to construct and fit the parts of their lightsaber with a precision that cannot be matched by any ordinary tool or machine. The result, if done right, is a weapon that will always be reliable and will never fail. Theoretically, anyone can build a lightsaber but - other then the fact that, without the Force, it will be much more difficult for them to wield it - it has a greater chance of being flawed to the point of blowing up in your face if everything is not aligned perfectly.

More importantly, the intimate familiarity that is established when a Force-user constructs the lightsaber allows the weapon to be an extension of their own body rather then a simple sword to be swung around. No matter who else may use your lightsaber, they will not possess that connection that establishes the lightsaber as truly being your own.

25. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I have always found this a somewhat troubling logic. Think of the marvels that technology can accomplish in our world, let alone the SW universe. It makes no sense that no machine could construct a lightsaber with the same expertise as a Jedi...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.