main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    "I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

- Michael Cera as Thrawn

[​IMG]

Son of a Bith and Ryus like this.
  2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Reading the Reclamation outline it sounds like the entire EU will be thrown out ? or not ?..........

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It sounds like fan fiction, and Disney laywers haven't pulled it yet so it likely is faker than Film pretending to be Thrawn.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Looks like Graham Chapman.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To try and take this thread in a somewhat more positive direction:

There is a general consensus that the post-ROTJ EU is unlikely to be preserved in its entirety, and we know for certain that it won't be directly adapted on screen (or at least not as the ST). This being the case, what parts of the EU - if any - would you like to see the filmmakers use as inspiration?

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Thrawn Trilogy (much as possible), I Jedi (Jedi Academy but fix all of KJA hack writing), X-wing series, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, X-wing/Tie Fighter/X-wing Alliance, Hand of Thrawn/Union/Survivors Quest (for marriage of Luke and Mara + exploring the Unknown regions), Crimson Empire, Dark Empire (suspect more inspiration here than Emperor Clones), Courtship of Princess Leia, Corellian Trilogy (just wanna visit the system, dont care how adapted), Legacy Comics, NJO (but more for a huge scale war between VI and VII and introducing Saba), Lost Tribe of the Sith in FotJ has great adapation potential, Legacy of the Force (but only if Jacen kills someone more personally connected with him and not Mara since that was beyond stupid and required pages of exposition to make it 'work', not set on Jacen falling either, I'd just love to see a down fall more closely followed than Anakin in eps II and III), The great hyperspace war, Exar Kun, The Mandalorian Wars, The Jedi Civil War (aka KotOR), Kotor II, Dawn of the Jedi, Star Wars (new comic), Outbound Flight, Allegance/Choices of One/Mara Jade Emperors Hand (Mara Jade's back story but make it darker)... sure Im forgetting a few things... oh well lets jump to characters from stories (havent read enough PT EU stories to comment too much there, plus too late for most of it :p). Plus with all the stiries I left out there's plenty of open space for tons of spinoff movies and TV show stuff.

Revan, HK-47, Bastila Shan, Satele Shan (but make her Revan and Bastila's daughter and cut TOR), Canderious, The Exile (still refuse to call her Meetra or beleve she's a Revan fangirl like in the book, though fine with her being Female, Carth, Atton, Mira, Darth Nihilus, Visas Marr, Darth Sion, Kreia, Bao-Dur, Brianna, Mical, Nomi Sunrider, Vima Sunrider, Master Kavar, Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun, Jolee, Mara Jade, Thrawn, C'baoth +clone, Zaarin, Pellaeon, Jacen, Jaina, Ben, Allana, Corrin Horn, Kyle Katarn, Vestara Khai, Cade, Ania Solo (only one chap of her but atm feel she has potential), Darth Krayt, Tahiri Veila, Bane and Zannah (while botn GL characters I'd like them close to the books), Naga Sadow, Darth Malak, Freedon Nadd, Ajunta Pall, Tulak Hord, Marka Ragnos, Darth Talon, Darth Nihl, Starkiller, Dash Rendar, Baron Fel, Ganner Rhysode, Tenel Ka, Garm bel Islis, Booster Terrik, Winter, Saba Sebatyne, Lumiya, Vergere, Jagged Fel, Tsavong Lah, Alema Rar, Nom Anor, Kyp Durron (but please no KJA writting him as stronger than Luke craziness), Karrade, Xizor, I know Im leaving a ton out here but tablets battery is getting low lolz...

Robimus and black_saber like this.
  7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Er... not quite what I was thinking of.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Then elaborate further :p I did leave out a huge ammount of the EU after all and stated in a few places what part of the stories I'd like adapted.

if it helps I was thinking, the post rotj stuff I listed being adapted into a tv show to set up VII, and the pre PT stuff becoming new spinoff movies

9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    What I was wondering about was people's ideas for EU elements that could be used for ST inspiration, not a laundry list of things you like from the EU.

For example, while I didn't actually feel it was that good, I think the Fate of the Jedi series has a lot of things that could be drawn upon for the ST. Among the things Lucas has said about his original plans for the ST - what little existed, anyway - was that it was to have a more philosophical tone and "Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned" would be themes. The Fate of the Jedi plotline features a lot of exploration of more esoteric parts of the Force, a heavy focus on the relationship between the Jedi Order and galactic government, a somewhat-increased amount of genuine moral questions (i.e. the whole slavery thing), and the heaviest focus on Ben Skywalker - who has struck me as more of a "next generation" character than any of the Solo kids, although maybe that's just because I like him better - since his birth. In addition, there's something of a shift in scale - this is the only major SW series I know of to not feature a major galactic war as part of its plotline - that would help distinguish the ST from being another rehash of the previous films.

There's a lot of elements in the series that I wouldn't want to include, to say nothing of the backstory. But as general thematic source material, I think it could be pretty useful.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I wasnt laundering, just not going into detail of what Id use for inspiration since my list was... long. I've stated many times here now more specficially about many of them. Sadly its late atm so I'll give a more detailed responce later. Even many of the characters I posted have great themes to them, and some are very philiosical...

I agree about much of what you said with FotJ but I felt a lot of how they did some of those themes was poorly done at times too, so I dont wanna say great theme and if by chance they read it have it go to there heads then. Go into more details later.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I know a lot of EU. My thoughts:

Valance could be an awesome antagonist they could use. He is a Cyborg who hates droids and machinery because he was mistreated for ... being a Cyborg. Additionally he is incredibly badass. Interactions with Luke, who is also a Cyborg, would be very interesting. I see Valance in the role of a bounty hunter/hired goon and he could be turned to the good during the story.

For the force threat they could reuse the Nihilus concept. Someone who feeds on the force and becomes addicted to it and inhuman. He couldn't be simply destroyed in conventional manner and is both weaker and stronger than someone like Palpatine (personality wise he is basically a thoughtless animal).

Mandalorians from KotoR would make a very credible global threat. They are basically a proud warrior guy race and they would hate bowing to the rules of a Republic. They also have a sweet look.

Someone like Thrawn could easily appear on the side of the Republic or other highly structured military foe (can't see him in Mandalorian army).

Kyp Durron could play the role of rogue jedi. Fall to the dark side optional.

Gryph from the KotoR comics could make an excellent side character because he is both clever and very funny.

Vuffi Raa would also be a very nice side character.

An Echani warrior like Brianna from KotoR would be interesting. I could also see a female antagonist like Atris. A Sith who deludes herself into thinking she is still a Jedi but does very bad things to the galaxy. She would be immediately distinguishable from Palpatine, Vader and so on.

Orman Tagge or Prince Xizor as flamboyant secondary villains.

HRDs = human replicant droids

More exotic force powers
    The thoughtbomb
    Holocrones
    Lightsaber repelling bracelets (Kortosis?) that are very rare and expensive
    The wheel
    T'landa Til
    Givin

And I guess lots of other stuff I can't think about right now.

Ryus likes this.
  12. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ugh. Mandos. No. :(

All I want is in my avatar. And maybe some fun X-Wing hijinks.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mandos are almost perfect as villains. They are very different from the Empire because of their honor through battle stuff, have a starwars-y look, have some connections to the other movies (Jango, Boba) and are a credible threat. Also they have been known to make deals with Sith.
    Note I'm not talking about Traviss super-Mandos here but rather KotoR-evil-Mandos.

Ryus likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Themes/Ideas I'd like used for inspiration
    Basing a story off a Royal Guard, like in crimson empire (maybe even evolve them into Imperial knights in theplot)
    Liberation of Corcusaunt (in the X-wing novels)
    Traitor Imperials who dont join the Rebellion/New Republic (Tie Fighter, numorous other EU stories such as X-wing books)
    Emperors Hands (from many sources) since it explores to greater meaning the rule of two and the Emperors rule (include Mara)
    Thrawn (aka a brilliant Imperial Officer) who makes even Veers or Tarkin seem like chumps all to make the Empire seem more a threat. On the opposite end actually capible Stormtroopers with names (such as in Allegance or Clones in the Clone Wars)
    Lost Tribe of the Sith (good way to bring back the Sith but explain how the Rule of Two came about at the same time)
    I Jedi aka a single adults journey to Jedi Knighthood from common man in Lukes age
    Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, aka how a being with no training can discover the force on their own and how it could lead to the dark side
    X-wing Alliance aka stories of how radom families joned the rebellion due to tragedies caused on them by the Empire
    NJO, Invasion from unknown enemies (either outside the galaxy or unknown regions)
    Hand of Thrawn introduced the Chiss Empire
    Hand of Thrawn/Union story about marriage and the Jedi, clearly philophicial tale of how Luke comes to believe attachments can save as many as it can cause to fall and how Luke incorrprates attachements into his order
    Legacy Comics sith evolve ther doctrine to counter Luke
    Vergere/Kreia wise Sith female and corruptor of those willing to listen to their beliefs
    Xizor (other crime lord organiztions beyond the hutts, they even made it into TCW already)
    Karrade aka smugglers who help the rebellion by selling intel or in other mannors for profit
    Ganner Rhysode a red Herring jedi you think is doomed to fall to the darkside but as the saying goes is actually just a young man wanting to die nobelly for a cause
    Alema Rar perfect Jedi until something loss just makes them snap (female to make it more unexpected)
    Dash Rendar aka more smugglers with very different reasons than Han for helping the rebellion
    Ben Skywalker/Vestara Khai aka a Jedi and Sith who get forced to work together but end up finding out they like each other
    Nomi Sunrider (likely will have to be used as inspiration only due to rumored legaltrademark issues with last name) but the wife of a key character who turns out to be more important, also for the single mom jedi story
    Bao-dur aka soldier haunted by past sins commited in war
    The Exile aka a exiled jedi who has had the force cut off from them who falls in with the sith to regain their power and is to blinded by their journey regaining the force to notice the sith teachings, also a soldier haunted by what they did and who they lost in the war (and maybe even for being too close to mass death and for it to overwhelm their mind)... slow journey of self rediscovery is prefered here, rather not see a fall story here
    Darth Nihilus a being who feeds on the force and cant be destroyed conventionally but also is just a ticking time bomb who will gain power from feedings but it force them to feed more and more often evertime till they cant suistain it
    warrior races, Mandalorians and Echani come to mind right away
    Darth Sion a sith who's gained an unsustainable form of immortality who cant be destroyed conventionally
    Naga Sadow a sith who proves the ability to destory a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force
    Freedon Nadd/Exar Kun sith ghosts who corruot others
    Allana Solo, aka jedi princess
    C'baoth as an example of a dark jedi/C'baaoth as an example clone experiments on forceusers not quite turning out right...
    Visas Marr an unwilling Sith Apperentice to a much more powerful sith lord
    Darth Krayt for an examp,e of another sith seeking immortality
    Cade Skywalker as an example of a jedi trying everything to escape their destiny (the antihero jedi)
    Ania Solo has gotten me interested in the conceot of a force user who only cares about making some cash
    Saba Sebatyne a jedi but with a more alien take on them and not another jedi template and insert funky costume
    HK-47 aka assassin droids dont have to be mindless killers like IG-88 but can have loads of personality

well, could go on and on... but you get the idea. My list is big enough atm and I barely covered half of what I last psted

Robimus likes this.
  15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    So, does anyone have any ideas?

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Better question is, do you? :p;)

run_luke_run likes this.
  17. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    :) I ran out last month.

Not sure how much it's been discussed here (I've been absent for a few weeks here)...but I for one did not like the whole "reclamation" idea, which I assume is a fake anyway, at all.

The "Shade"? No thank you. Sounds like something out of a bad comic-book.

Ryus likes this.
  18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    IG-88 isn't a mindless killer. :p

I agree with mostly everything else, Allana and Ben in particular...I think these two have a lot to offer as characters.

Ryus likes this.
  19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    For me, it's very simple:

Skywalker offspring of some kind and the restructuring of the Rebellion into a new Republic. Other than that, keep it a clean slate and allow the film makers do what they do best - create an original story and bring it to life on screen.

Although, I must admit I wouldn't be opposed to name-dropping of certain EU characters, as long as they are not brought to the forefront or integral to the main plot. I'm sticking to my guns of wanting new characters to occupy the post-ROTJ film universe.

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

Yours and my dreams may come true!

Ryus likes this.
  21. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I'd prefer starting from scratch and not using the EU. Maybe that is not a popular opinion but I have no interest in seeing the EU presented on screen. It's time to inject some new experiences into the movie universe and not rely on previously written content.[​IMG]

HanSolo29 and DarthBreezy like this.
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Reclamation outline has been debunked by someone working at LucasFilm; its fake.

Of course, I do hope that Star Wars: The Clone Wars gets a sequel series or at least a spiritual successor.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    "No one can ever use her?" Then why is she still in books/comics?

Also, George is no longer in charge... *whistles innocently*

Ryus likes this.
  25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    And is that account even reliable?

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.