main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Even if its the account it seems to be the legit acount they are named (we still gotta question which one of countless people who could access it), they only covered G-level cannon and no EU. So there knowledge in such matters even when Lucas was the boss (which he isnt anymore and they just got fired by the new boss, so clearly they're not in the 'know' with them) is not there. Simply put that comment by them could be appied to all EU characters.

Next off Lucas did approve Mara's cover identity in Jabba's palace in the RotJ radioplay... so too late and Mark Hamill stated he did support her character (maybe he'll have her in his contract negoteations, Im sure he doesnt want memes of Luke Skywalker 60 year old virgin on the net forever, so Mara and there Son Ben is the way to counter that). Finally in TCW they alluded to the role of The Emperor's Hand in the episode "Children of the Force" season 2 episode 3... so again she's very close to having been approved.

Disney, LFL, and Arnet are smart enough to know a super marketable character, who has a huge following already. She's very likely in the top 5 most popular EU characters ever (EU as defined as C-level cannon and down, saying this cause Im tiredof reminding people TCW isnt EU)

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I thought that had been debunked? It's a case of George said 'Sure whatever.... it the EU so run wild...'

Mark really doesn't pay attention to Star Wars, especially the EU - it's his son who told him "In the EU, You have this really hot wife who's a Jedi" (DB Editorial :rolleyes:) Where as Mark has often said he thought Luke would become a Hermit ala Obi-Wan - a for Mark using Mara as a contract tool -

O

M

G

[face_rofl]

Ummmm, no...

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Mark said that more in jest... the same way Carrie Fisher said she'd be in an old person's reteirment home on many occassions. As to Mark's son telling him that, I have no idea... I just recall Mark Hamill stating in some interview back in 2004 (I think) that he approved her character and the general path the EU had taken with his character. If you have a source mentioning the son thing please share.

4. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I do actually - give me a few and I'll get it.

Edit - here it is - Warning, the whole article gets a bit cheeky as it IS in Maxim (and it's a pretty fun read over all - he's being interviewed about 'Sushi Girl' which is an AWESOME movie)

But the quote in it's entirety:

Do you know anything about the plot?
    I would imagine that the stories would probably be about young people with us in roles that are appropriate to the original. In other words, me filling the same kind of function as the Obi Wan character. I would imagine the protagonists are all going to be the offspring of our characters - that is, supposing I have an offspring. I don’t know these things. Fans will tell me – my son Nathan knows all about this stuff. He said, “Oh no, Dad, Leia and Han Solo are married now.” These are from follow up novels, none of which I’ve read. He said, “You got married to a smoking-hot babe named Mara Jade.” And I said, “I get a girlfriend afterI’m no longer associated with the picture..?” Someone told me that George Lucas was upset that they married Luke off. I said, “How can he be upset after the fact? Don’t he control everything? How could you do something so monumental without getting his stamp of approval?” They said, “Oh, I don’t know, somehow it slipped by him.” But really, what I know, I know from reading. I’ll probably learn it from Maxim.com before I hear it directly from them! I mean, George told us he wanted to do 7, 8, and 9, but he didn’t tell us he was selling it to Disney. We’re sort of on a strictly need-to-know basis - I found out on the Internet, like everybody else…

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Fair enough ;)

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sorry my tablet is being a pain (wont let me edit my above post so sorry for double post)give me a moment...to edit this
    Sound like Hamill did actually approve getting a girlfriend for his character(something he has complained/jested about in the past) but is upset George didnt give him a girlfriend in the movies... so yes it sounds like he supports the idea. Btw when you quoted it you italizied all of it and not only his stressed word "I get a girlfriend after..."

Next off it states an Obiwan type role, not a carbon copy of his role. So being a hermit here isnt clarified. Finally he states he believes he will be training offspring be it his or Leia's. As to Hamill expressing how he found out about her, so what... we know it was ages ago since he did state his support of her (which that comment doesnt say he didnt) back in 04

Also sounds like Lucas liked Mara Jade until she married Luke... which he can now retcon that marriage.

Think your reading too much into that in regards to my comment. As to Lucas who knows but if he wants Luke to have kids and carry on the Skywalker name he better get used to the idea marraige is how it works in regards to a males name getting carried on.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a verified account for "Robot Chicken". Also they have a tendency to make with the jokes. So they were making a joke when Mara can't be used because Lucas didn't sell her.

jedimikey likes this.
  8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    His Fiancee is going to be so mad he's keeping a secret woman for himself:p;)

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Wait - How are you getting all of that "Mark supports this and that idea regarding MJ" or any of the EU when he very plainly says " Fans will tell me – my son Nathan knows all about this stuff. He said, “Oh no, Dad, Leia and Han Solo are married now.” These are from follow up novels, none of which I’ve read. "

A little farther into the article (and NOW I'm just parphrasing) he says he actually tends to filter all the Star Wars stuff out... unless he's actually working on the movie (promoting it, etc as well) he just doesn't think about it too much...

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Two fold, first off that previous interview that took place a decade ago that's been quoted to hell over the years (not to mention the time he meet Shannon McRandel and she later stated he knew about her character and role) where he stated his support of her character and the 'general' direction the EU took Luke in (told to him via his son or not is besides the point). Second in this very interview you can see Hamill was annoyed at Luke's lack of a relationship due to his comment of "I get a girlfriend after I'm no longer associated with the picture" (very typical Mark Hamill humor too)... especially when combined with years of Hamill teasing how Leia turned out to be his sister. He even states in this interview the possilbilty of him having kids even if he fears its a long shot, but wording like this can often be viewed as a hint of things an actor has been thinking about in regards to their character... so it could be viewed as Hamill pondering the idea of him being a father.

For these reasons I think your reading too much into one line while ignoring much context in the rest of it... in the end who cares how he found out about it, fact remains he never once in this articile stated he didnt mean what he said about Mara previously and alludes to kids of his own... and finally he's joked countless times about being single throughout the OT. Not a thing one does when they approve of something typicially.

11. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

He says pretty much the same thing in all of his interviews lately - (I've read quite a few of them, being a big fan of Sushi Girl) - that he just doesn't follow the EU, or Old Star Wars news.... This all being said, he ISN'T going to give a toss whether 'Mara' is in the movie or not, and POSITIVELY won't be a factor in his contract negotiations - just kinda boarding on the creepy a bit - like people can't separate Mark from Luke... and the EU Luke at that.

Vthuil likes this.
  12. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Robot Chicken ROOOOLs, Seth is THE MAN!

I wish GL would make the Cloud City dinner table scene G-level canon. Amiright?
    :p

On the serious side, we won't ever see EU characters on Robot Chicken unless they appear in the movies. Simple as that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    An NDA would prevent Hamill from saying anything definitive, so neither of us can take what he says right now fully at face value... that said Hamll has mentioned previously that he hasnt had his sit down with Kennedy and Arndt yet. Even if, lets say your right that he doesnt negotiate a chaeacter direction in his contract, that doesnt mean with Arndt he cant work out making Luke a father. A role Hamill did allude to in that very interview, from there Mara getting in is much smaller hurdle...

14. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I want to see this guy (who has been vocal about his interest in a role): [​IMG]

Play this guy: [​IMG]

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    But he cant be in Episode VII since he died (very lamely) 3600 years prior to it. ;):p

Best part of TOR was always the trailers though... and in those they captured him amazingly.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If Disney wants him to be in, 3600 years are no problem at all.

But I doubt they want because he resembles Vader too closely.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I suppose on the plus side of including him it means TOR will never happen (and just maybe we can get KotOR III instead[face_dancing])

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    KotoR III would be great but I would murder-kill for a Star Wars game made by Bethesda. Seriously, get them to work on Star Wars already!

At least after Fallout 4 is finished because Fallout is awesome.

DarthApprentice and Ryus like this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Skyrim modded with Star Wars themed stuff (spells and lightsabers) was awesome... cant tell you how well it worked in words. I played as 3 EU characters and one OT character and each time it was epic (Luke, Mara, Kyle, and Corrin (which was hard to do cause trying to be close to cannon I didnt use Fus Ra Dah with him, except where plot required it))

20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Who shouid write the novelizations for the new movies, and which authors do you want to write the book, or books bridging the EU with the new trilogy?

Who should write the novelizations of the Spin off movies?

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Alan Dean Foster [face_dancing]

22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    We'd probably get TCW style Mandalorians, not an EU version of them.

If the producer and director of the movie saying they aren't using the EU won't stop people from saying they will, I doubt this will stop people from saying Lucas approves everything in the EU. People believe what they want to believe.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Exactly fenton people will believe what they want to hear. Your post is case in point, since the producers and director haven't actually said were completely ditching the EU. Yet you keep stating this as fact.

Darth Claire likes this.
  24. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I posted something about the novelizations months ago. Here's what I said then...

"Novelization for 7, 8, and 9...what I'd like is for each one to not be released until after the movie has been completed, allowing for there to be any "corrections" if something from the script is changed in post-production. Also, for 7 and 8 at least, for the script writers to be consulted about any "extra" material presented in the novel that is not in the film to make sure that it will not conflict with the next movie(s). And, yes, I like when they add material in the novel that is not in the movie...gives you more incentive to read the book."

As for who I'd like to write them...I don't know. Someone that can capture the "feel" of SW that can also tie them into the material that came before. I'm not saying that the EU must be mention (although that would be nice), but more the previous trilogies, TCW, etc.

25. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I mentioned it here because a thread for EU actor suggestions was locked and people were directed here to make their suggestions. :)

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.