main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The soundtrack was experimental. It's perfectly acceptable for people to dislike it for whatever reason. Even for no reason. That's the point and risk out of doing something different. Different doesn't mean better.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wild Hogs

Funny movie

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Click

Funny movie

4. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    The Addams Family, followed by Addams Family Values (again).

Seeing the sequel last week after so many years made me want to revisit the first movie. It's not bad, and I actually found it funnier than I remembered (no surprise - as a kid I think the satire went over my head) though it does feel like a bunch of gags strung out one after the other. Most of the action is focused on Fester (and Gomez by proxy) leaving the rest of the cast in mostly brief scenes here and there - Wednesday and Pugsley in particular seem cruelly underused (rectified in the sequel thankfully). The best scene is undoubtedly the kids' stage play (all that blood). Oh, and Wednesday's "Girl Scouts cookies" line. [face_laugh]

Decided to watch the sequel again right after it - definitely a step up. The gags actually flow better with the plot and everyone gets a chance to shine. The only thing I can say against the film is that the Fester-estranged-from-his-family plot felt a bit like a retread of the 1st film (right down to Gomez's depression, though thankfully that was only brief). The summer camp plot with Wednesday and Pugsley is still probably the funniest part of the film. :)

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

I don't think I said there was anything unacceptable about someone not liking something. I'm only asking for clarification. By saying that it's acceptable for someone to dislike something for "no reason," you're essentially stifling conversation. If you don't understand why you don't like something and have no desire to understand why, what business do you have talking to others about it? This is different than Internets' case. He simply hasn't reached a point of understanding about how/why he responded to that specific score. Clarification and conversation helps reach that understanding. Having said that,

I haven't seen Forbidden Planet, but I was once curious about the origins of electronic music and found myself listening to the score on Spotify. What reaction did the score invoke in you? Were you unsettled, uncomfortable? In what specific way, did it make you feel like you were tripping on acid, and why did that make you dislike the score? I ask because that's generally what I get out of electronic scores, specifically those of an eighties variety, and the use of unsettling electronic music in films (re: The Thin Blue Line) is one of the easiest ways to scare the **** out of me, which I guess is why I like them. But, yes, as halibut said, the score is very experimental, so even comparing electronic scores from the eighties to the first electronic score written for a film (if I'm not mistaken) might not make for the most apt comparison.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The soundtrack to Day the Earth Stood Still is still so impressive. All other theremin-based scores cannot live up to Bernard Herrmann's genius.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, how dare you bring up your appreciation for something unless you're prepared to defend it in a cross-examination?!

o_O

Honestly, Bacon, what I just read in your post is among the weirdest quotes I've read in here in a while.

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The specified portion or the entire post? I don't think it's that strange of a concept. Maybe worded a bit harsh/strange, I guess. I just don't understand how you can have an opinion on something and not have any desire to understand why. Mostly what I was attempting to clarify was that I wasn't intending to attack Internets, just get a better read on his reaction, and it seemed a bit condescending for halibut to rebut with "He doesn't have to like it for any reason! It's experimental!" I'm probably derailing the thread though. Sawrie.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    All I know is that Darth Vader needs to start a blog writing movie reviews.

Here's a start:

Bacon164 likes this.
  10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Bill Dawes on the Evil Dead remake.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Los Angeles Plays Itself - Fascinating documentary about how films tend to portray LA.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Nah no thanks :p

Lawless

Really good movie, Shia LaBeouf was good so was Tom Hardy

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Woah, now that last one was getting pretty wordy. :p

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    tl;dr

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    WALL OF TEXT

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Didn't mean to sound condescending. Apologies if it came off that way.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Jumper

Probably not a whole lot of people like this movie, but i liked it

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Spider, a 2002 David Cronenberg film. Stars Ralph Fiennes and Miranda Richardson. Very good movie.

Interestingly, Howard Shore composed the score and Peter Suschitzky (of ESB fame) did the cinematography.

It's a slower film, though, but very worthwhile. I'd recommend checking it out if you can get a hold of it.

Bacon164 likes this.
  19. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Django Unchained

It was campy and ridiculously bloody. I loved every minute of it.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    War, Inc.

See it only if you want to see Hilary Duff stuff a scorpion down her pants.

21. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Hell, yes I want to see that.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always been meaning to see that. I've only seen two Cronenberg movies. Easter Promises and A History of Violence.

23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You need to stop what you're doing and see "Naked Lunch." Seriously. Now. It's got Robocop and Bilbo Baggins in it.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aaaah I've always meant to see that one too! I have too many movies to see! I haven't seen a new movie since March 30th!!

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Rachel Getting Married

It was good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.