main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~-^-~ Cloud City Cantina [Version 13.0]: One Flew Over the CCC Nest ~-^-~

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Hi, V. How'd ya guess?:p

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Batman is one of my all time obsessions

I like it much better than Star Wars actually,

as for the villains I like

Scarecrow
    Riddler
    Penguin

and Harley Quinn

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I like what Scott did with the Court of Owls. Brilliant idea for a group of schemers whose natural prey are bats.

4. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    any particular writers of the comics you like?

or "era"

5. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Sis- I think you'd like Grant and Breyfogel because of similarity with TAS I think

mostly in Detective Comics late 80's early 90's some Shadow of the Bat I think

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know some of the more recent lads, so I am biased, but I would say the high water mark would be Denny O'Neil. O'Neil and Breyfogle's run was awe-inspiring. And, I have a soft spot for Bill Finger's heinously unrewarded contributions to the earliest run of the character.

EDIT: Frank nailed my contribution.

8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Frank: i'll look into it :)

has anyone read Arkham: a serious house on seriouss Earth?

9. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Grant Morrison and Dave McKean

one of my faves

Mirrormask was on the other morning. I still haven't managed to sit and watch that whole movie:(

10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    anyone here? :p

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewgumma , found Neil Gaiman in an episode of the PBS show Arthur. Had lots of inspiring quotes about creativity/writing.
    Winning.

Goodnight all. :)

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I went to see Evil Dead today. First showing of the day, on opening day and I was the first person in the theater. What did I think of it? It was alright. It lived up to my expectations, but it didn't exceed them. It was a competent retelling of The Evil Dead in the style of the original one rather than the sequels, complete with a smattering of fan service and a penchant for extreme gore. The plot and characters are wafer thin, but then the original movie wasn't exactly War and peace. Granted that's not the greatest defense for a movie with no plot or memorable characters, and in fact there is a sorely missed opportunity to create some really nice interaction between Mia and David, the drug addict going cold turkey and her long estranged brother. At least what was there was an improvement on the typical college jocks that tend to get turned into burger meat in these movies.

Several things I didn't like about the movie:

The entire prologue. Showing the demon at the start of the movie deflates any sense of tension. Yes most people going into the movie know what they're getting because they're already Evil Dead fans, but in a retelling like this you should approach it as if telling the story to a fresh audience. The first possession you should have seen in this movie should have been Mia, not some girl you haven't seen before and will not see from again after. The original is much more effective in these regards, you don't see the beasties until later on in the movie.

How the demons do everything to the book. Quite literally. Everything they do is telegraphed within the necronomicon. And with great detail too. In the original film part of the horror is how the demons don't really have an ulterior motive. They're just out to mess with these kids who woke them from their slumber. Here they are following an instruction manual to raise "The Abomination" from the ground.

Curing Mia's possessed soul by burying her alive and resurrecting her with a car battery. Just... no... no movie... no. That was dumb. Not only does killing the demon possessing Mia allow her to be brought back to life, but somehow it also undoes all the self mutilation that it wrought upon Mia's body throughout the movie. As soon as David unburies her she's lost all her third degree burns and her tongue is in tact again. This seemed at extreme odds with the more serious tone the rest of the film was aiming for. IMO it felt like a purposefully bad piece of melodrama that would have been more at home in a film aping Army of Darkness' tone.

Several things I did like:

Gore. Gore everywhere. The final scenes are so red with blood it practically coats the camera lens. I think the claims that there was no CGI in the movie may have been a little exaggerated, but the level of technical artistry that went into the mutilation and mayhem was astounding. As sheer spectacle this film delivered in spades. The entire second half of the movie is incredibly memorable and unlike some recent horror films is enjoyably OTT rather than just being unpleasant and cruel hearted.

Jane Levy as Mia was a pretty good performance. In fact her possessed Mia was rather menacing, which is quite impressive considering she looked convincingly frail and hollow not five minutes before everything goes to rats for the crew in the cabin. It's a pity that her most memorable stuff was in trailer but not in the bloody movie!

[​IMG]

The dumbest exposition in the script was cut! No more sitting around reminiscing about the good old band days. The awkward dialogue about David and Mia's past has been cut down, with the backstory about how their mother thought she was possessed by "a certain biblical figure" being almost omitted entirely. It's still a weak script, but at least the weakest stuff was ejected and the strong ideas remain. The cuts do leave some characters severely underdeveloped, but when Natalie's defining character arc was "At first I didn't like people swearing, but the demon possessions made me swear a blue streak" you realise you aren't missing out on much.

The chin's cameo. Here's hoping this means all those promises of an Army of Darkness 2 and a possible crossover between the originals and the remakes will get somewhere.

Overall my opinions on the movie may sound negative. But I did enjoy Evil Dead quite a bit. That may say more about my fanboyish tendencies or the sorry state of horror movies these days than it does about the quality of the movie itself. Either way I enjoyed it. I may even go see it again towards the end of its run.

13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I'm considering burning all my belongings and convert to cave people-ism

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    why do that Zapdos? :p

15. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    Because then I will have other worries than money and money related issues.

16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    [:D]

have you considered chasing a rainbow?

i hear there is a pot of gold there :p

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It was chocolates in gold wrapping. They weren't even Cadburys!

Random Comments likes this.
  18. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    Well.. Actually, I'm real good with money. I'm never in lack of it. So that's not the problem. I don't know what the problem is, really... I'm just tired of the concept..

19. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    [face_laugh]

it wasn't Terry's All Gold was it? :p

Zapdos: money is a strange thing, especially notes,

we can buy TV's by handing over..paper

aliens must be so confused :p

Random Comments and Frank T. like this.
  20. chunkeymodest

chunkeymodest Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2010
    well, im scarred for life.

21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Oh dear.[:D]

Will a belated happy birthday from me help cheer you up?

22. chunkeymodest

chunkeymodest Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2010
    not unless you have brain bleach. saw some photos of my so called brother.... lets just say he failed the no shirts no shoes policy as extreme as you can

23. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    have you ever seen The Gods Must Be Crazy? It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Hi everybody.

24. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Evening All

25. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    You're a little early

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.