main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I'm sure there are machines that could be successful at constructing lightsabers but to a degree that matches one made by a Jedi...impossible in certain aspects. A lightsaber is more then a saber that is built from an assortment of parts; it is one's own. The perfect weapon for any being is a weapon that is truly theirs; a weapon that is forged and shaped from the image that they hold in their heart and mind. For a Jedi, they have the Force and hours (sometimes days) of meditation involved to select the perfect crystal and the perfect parts to create a saber that is an extension of their mind and body. One could go for a standard metal hilt, one carved from greel wood, or the hollowed-out tooth of an animal. A standard adegan crystal, krayt dragon pearl, or durindfire? It is the individual and their own personal preference that allows them to create the weapon that they will be carrying for the rest of their life (barring anything happening to it of course :p).

And as it is the Force that guides them to select the perfect components, it is the Force that allows them to bind them together, linking them on something more than a mechanical or material level so that they would work with unimagined efficiency. Without this careful seasoning and conditioning of the lightsaber, the blade would be flawed and would fail the user. No matter what parts a Jedi may decide to use, they would want them to mesh as if they belonged together. Such a thing cannot be accomplished by an ordinary machine.

For a real world example, the most valuable and exceptional katanas are still those made by the traditional methods of master smiths. Despite the numerous factory-made ones that you see online and can be purchased for a couple hundred dollars, the difference between them and an authentic katana is the degree of individual, specialized attention from a high-level, master smith that not only knows what he's doing but actually gives a damn.

EDIT: And I was gonna go to work but my truck is smoking due to a shot radiator so that's going to be a no-go [face_laugh] Ah well, this just means that I can get some sleep and now I'll have time to make a post when I wake up!

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Sorry about the truck, Sarge -- but every (smoke) cloud has a silver lining, so they say!;)

Weren't Tapani Lightfoils based on Lightsaber technology, but didn't get a final tuning from a Force-user?

3. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Fortunately my sister is engaged to a mechanic so I just need to buy the parts, he'll do the labor for free, and everything will be back to normal :cool:

The lightfoils were based on lightsaber technology and originally created by the Mecrosa Order who's members would become known as Sith. Once the Mecrosa Order had been cleansed by the Jedi Order, however, the lightfoil fell into the hands of non-Force sensitives who learned to develop and use them for their own. However, the lightfoils made by non-Force sensitives proved to be weaker then actual lightsabers or even the lightfoils created by the members of the Mecrosa Order due to the poor quality focusing crystals that tended to be used and the fact that they did not have the Force on hand to aid in their construction which made any lightfoil crafted by them inferior.

And though Tapani nobles were apparently able to create a fighting style with the lightfoil to use it in combat, I doubt a non-Force sensitive would achieve the same skill as a Jedi would with it due to it, I would think, possessing the same characteristics that make it difficult for normal beings to use a standard lightsaber: that being the plasma blade being weightless and the gyroscopic effect created by the energy field produced by an active lightsaber hilt. The Force allows a Jedi to overcome these obstacles and wield a lightsaber with an efficiency that, once again, will be difficult if not impossible to be achieved by a non-Force sensitive.

4. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    ^:)^

I don't think I need to buy the Jedi Path. :p

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  5. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    If I had as much knowledge or motivation in a useful, real-life subject as I do Star Wars, I'd probably be going through some easy living right now :p

Unfortunately my genius is restricted to a fictional universe that probably won't be getting me ahead anywhere at any point irl [face_beatup]

BultarSwan and The_Zeltron like this.
  6. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Well, you could always try to get hired on for the next few movies...? Though for a true and knowledgeable fan, I'm guessing that has the potential to just be maddening :p

I'm impressed, regardless :D I'm learning a lot by reading it all.

Sarge221 likes this.
  7. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Would certainly be a nice turn of events but until such a day arrives I think I'm sticking with my three jobs for now :p

Ah well, you know what they say:

[​IMG]

8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Very good discussion. A point that I would like to emphasize is that with a Jedi lightsaber construction as shown in several books, perhaps most prominently I Jedi, the Force when used and meditated on with the construction of a lightsaber is more then just properly aligning the crystal with it's flaws in mind or feeling that the connections are spot on. A machine/droid with heavy scanning equipment and fine manipulation capabilities could do as much, hence the lightfoils. The major thing of the Force isn't just in those small things. Another thing is that the Jedi can literally feel through the materials and the Force flowing through them and their mental picture of the finished product can 'stream line' the battery chemical mixtures, fix erronious alignments of atomic structures in the wires and apertures, and automatically take the shape of the crystal latice not as something to be overcome, but as the very heart and point to work out from for all other aligning properties beyond the Force User that it is flowing through. Throughout all of this process the Force User is feeling an basically instinctually feeling and aiding in these things in an almost 'hands off' approach. The final product is like an extension of them not only because of a Force bond forged between the User and the Hilt, but also because the User knows the hilt as well as or better then their own arm.

Just my two cents ;) Also Sarrge, ever thought of writting a few novels ;)

9. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Don't have the attention span for it; I'd get bored too easily :p If my previous stab at fanfiction and own attempts at GMing are any hints, I'm terrible at sticking to one idea. That and my creativity isn't exactly up there when it comes to bigger, more long-term projects.

10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    in season four I think, they showed the gathering, how they get their lightsaber crystals and use the Force to put the whole thing together.

It was quite an interesting episodes.

11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    CW? CW. >.>

<.<

Nothing on the books IMHO. Also ignored the books. . .so. Visualy appealing, yes. I just didn't feel it did it justice.

12. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Of the Clone Wars?!? :D I'm just starting season 3.

So I, Jedi is the best book on the subject, Mitthy?

13. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    On the subject of 'mass-producing lightsabers'...didn't the Shadow Academy do that? If I remember right...been a looonnngggg time since I read the YJK books.

JacensGirl likes this.
  14. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    The author I feel does a more elaborate job at laying out the format, albeit a listed old one supposidly saved from the archives during the purge, and written before the prequels so a little grace. It lays out the proper way, and then a faster improper way, and hints if I remember correctly that there may be even faster ways that merely weren't able to be saved in the genetic structures the archives were hidden in. It is definitly in the top two listings in my book ;) Not to mention it introduces the Jensaarai, the Caamasi, and a rogue Imperial for the plot with a hidden base. All around a good book that should not be missed. Plus uses a unique first person format, and does it well :D

EDIT: Yes SkyGuy, if I remember correctly you are right. But they weren't so much machine mass produced as a guy locked in a room of components mass produced. Where a Jedi makes one or two possibly in their entire lives, they got someone to just sit around and make the things with the same components available again and again. (If I am mistaken someone save me from myself. Quick!)

JacensGirl likes this.
  15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Huh...apparently Dewie is back on the boards (in Lit, but still). Didn't realize that.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    dewback_rancher Welcome back! Even in a limited capacity we are glad to hear of your return from our resident hall monitor Skywalker :D

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Hall Monitor?o_O

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Well I don't think you want me to list you as security and get Bardan_Jusik protectivily invested in defending his job ;)

JacensGirl likes this.
  19. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
  20. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Yo all.

Sorry for the abrupt departure. The whole 'having a personal doomsday scenario for a franchise start to play out IRL' thing was a huge shock, so was kinda just focusing on other things for a while until I could absorb it all, y'know?

21. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I understand. How are you doing? [:D]

Well, I'm off to get ready for work. Hope to see you around again soon, Dewie. :)

22. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Doing pretty well. I guess I needed the time away to keep from being depressed by it all. :)

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Good to have you back in any case though.

24. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    We got a zappy-zap crystal that needs killing :p

BultarSwan likes this.
  25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.