main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thrift Store Gold! Hit the absolute Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJimmer, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I've been pretty nostalgic for the New Republic era lately. I've been browsing through a lot of the novels for a Wook project. Good times.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I see tons of Star Wars novels at Thrift shops, and have bought a few over the years. I got the original versions of Han Solo & The Lost Legacy as well as Han Solo's Revenge at one a couple eyars back. That original retro art is cool.

Got a couple Adventure Journals there as well.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I found a first-edition Han Solo at Star's End hardcover at a flea market once. Holla.

Robimus and DarthJimmer like this.
  4. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    Since I've had such good luck lately I checked out a new thrift store while waiting for my brothers doctors appointment to be over. Scored 8 more books! Four are duplicates but these were in such perfect shape and the whole haul was $3.71 that I went for it. I got two in the x-wing that I needed. Remember when I said I had some YA unlisted? Its basically the movies adaptations for young adults. I got ROTJ to finish that. As well as a Young Jedi Knights, which I kinda wanted for the hell of it anyways..here's what I got:

X-Wing Wedge's Gamble Book 2 - Michael A. Stackpole
    X-Wing The Kryptos Trap Book 3
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy, Champions Of The Force, Volume 3 (Duplicate) - Kevin J. Anderson
    Young Jedi Knights Heirs Of The Force - Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
    Return Of The Jedi - Ryder Windham
    Children Of The Jedi - Barbara Hambly (Duplicate)
    Dark Force Rising Vol 2 of The Thrawn Trilogy (Duplicate)
    The Last Command Vol 3 of The Thrawn Trilogy (Duplicate)

With this luck at this rate I'll have them all in no time! So glad to hear stories of everyone else's luck as well, keep it coming.

5. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Hardcover with signature? Awesome find.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Thrift store gold? I see tons of SW books that I already own at Goodwill all the time. The only time I ever found gold, and was sadly defeated by a maxed out credit card and no cash, was when I found a Millenium Falcon, and A-Wing and a B-Wing at a Goodwill.

7. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Come on, man. I didn't say you needed to be impressed or anything. I was excited. If you don't think 50 books at one time for like $35 bucks, the price of three, and are mostly completed collections that are thought of to be some of the best of all time, when I'm specifically going to the store looking for them after someone asked me to go even though I had planned to isn't pretty awesome...the I don't know what to tell you. My point here wasn't to brag, I wanted to hear about other peoples finds and wanted share my excitement with people that actually share my interest.

I myself (and I think by the reactions from some, others might agree) that this particularly lucky haul was definitely thrift store gold. If only by quantity, price, personal value, and even worth in the long run. I totally agree with you that a few books that I already have (like my last post) doesn't qualify. Maybe that's all you read? You're welcome to your opinion. And I know you weren't making a big deal, I was just surprised by the reaction. I'm just here doing what we all are, spreading the love of star wars.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Ok using the Del Ray timeline, my collection (seperate lists for books I have but still need to read and books I am currently reading.)

The Old Republic: Revan
    The Old Republic: Deceived
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul : Shadow Hunter (with Darth Maul: Sabotteur included)
    The Phantom Menace novel
    Rogue Planet
    The Clone Wars: No Prisoners
    Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Coruscant Nights 1: Jedi Twilight
    Coruscant Nights 2: Street of Shadows
    Coruscant Nights 3: Patterns of the Force
    The Last Jedi (kindle)
    The Force Unleashed 2
    Death Star
    Shadows of the Empire (kindle)
    Return of the Jedi Novel
    The Truce at Bakura
    X- Wing: Rogue Squadron
    The Courtship of Princess Leia

The Thrawn thrilogy

Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command

The Jedi Academy trilogy

Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force
    Darksaber
    The Crystal Star
    Black Fleet Crisis 1: Before the Storm
    The New Rebellion (hardback)
    The Corellian Trilogy 1: Ambush at Corellia

The New Jedi Order

Vector Prime
    Dark Tide 1: Onslaught
    Dark Tide 2: Ruin
    Agent's of Chaos 1: Hero's Trial

Books I am currently reading (will be added to the main list once read)

Tales From Jabba's Palace
    X- Wing: Wedge's Gamble

Books I have but still need to read

X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
    X-Wing: The Bacta War
    X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
    X-Wing: Iron Fist
    X-Wing: Solo Command
    X-Wing: Isard's Revenge

The New Jedi Order
    Agent's of Chaos 2: Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Edge of Victory 1: Coquest
    Edge of Victory 2: Rebirth
    Star by Star

Short Stories
    The Hive (kindle)

DarthJimmer likes this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I've literally gone into Goodwill and seen pretty much everything you posted. It's great, but it's not what I'd call gold. Besides, it was a light hearted post... don't trip. I'm saying, the books are cool and all... but I found Hasbro '97 Millennium Falcon, A-Wing and a B-Wing(all in-box) in the same thrift store at the same time... for next to nothing, and I had no cash and my credit card was maxed out. That, to me, was a huge loss. Where as the books, every time I went to Goodwill for the last few years that's what I've seen.

You want more gold? Get out to flea markets. I'm in the Philly area, and the R5 Productions Punk Rock Flea Market usually has a ton of good stuff. I didn't pick it up, but they had Power of the Force Dagobah Luke and Yoda at one vender both mint on card for $2/ea. I waxed nostalgic about how I was a chump kid when those came out and desperate to get my hands on them when my local Kay B didn't have them and bought 'em from a scalper for $15/ea. I should have picked them up right then, but I'm sort of out of the collecting game. I went to the flea market in Shipshewana, IN a few years ago and picked up a mass market paperback edition of the Marvel Comics adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back for a few cents. I got the ESB score on vinyl and I think an ROTJ story record on vinyl. I also found a vintage, '77, Darth Vader action figure carrying case. And sort of unrelated, but also cool, same vendor that had that carrying case had a big plush ET.

10. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    You've seen everything I posted all at once at a store though, man? If you have, that's awesome. I still thinks its a great haul. It's about the quantity, quality, and personal value. Its whatever haha Plus this is the Literature section, Of course my thread was going to be about books. I'm totally aware of Flea Markets and the possibility of everything you're talking about..That's not what my post was about.

Also, I'm glad that every time I go there's like at least three new books for me to grab. That's awesome! I don't consider that gold either. No worries though I wont keep repeating everything I said, since you kind of ignored all of it anyways since you keep stating how a few books isn't gold to you. haha I appreciate your personal value/interest in the things you stated ( '97 Millennium Falcon etc.), but you obviously cant about books.

p.s. Let's agree to disagree, We've both stated our opinions multiple times. Not to mention, who cares if it is or isn't? It was just an on the fly title while excited, and everyone else seemed to be more positive...

11. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Awesome, man! Our collection is very very similar it seems.

12. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah loads of people trade in the Bantam novels. So that's why I have a lot of them. Lucky you getting a load of them at once.

13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Wow this thread makes me nostalgic... I'll have to dig out all those SW RPG materials from my dad's cellar sometime, especially the Adventure Journals.
    I used to have most of the Bantam novels in German, but then I gave them all away to a boy who probably felt pretty much like you did at the thrift store... and I'm happy with the decision. When I want to re-read old stuff now, I want to read it in English anyway, so I just get the ebooks.
    The only thing I kept and intend to hold on to is the WEG material and the whole of the NJO (which I got from Amazon for roundabout 10 cent a book, plus shipping costs).

14. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I also have the junior novel of the Clone Wars movie, Clone Wars: Breakout Squad and the first 3 Rebel Force books. I've read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor too. Pretty good book.

BTW DarthJimmer you should see if you can get Shadows of the Empire too. It's an awesome book. It's on Kindle if you cant find it in your second hand book store.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I remember those days, those golden days of just getting into the EU and going to a used bookstore and loading up. Oh, man, what a blast. Anything seemed possible then. I wasn't the cynical "personal canon" guy I am now.

I must say that even at an average of sixty-six cents, you've paid way, way, way too much for The Crystal Star. :p

EDIT: I also was a novel guy over a comics guy for a really long time. I highly recommend the KOTOR comic series (John Jackson Miller's series, not the other godawful Kevin J. Anderson one) and Jedi vs. Sith as being the best places to start in the comics. Also, a little trade paperback called Redemption; some people will tell you that you need to read all the stories that lead up to it. Untrue, because they suck. You'll understand Redemption just fine totally out of context, I think.

Once you get a foundation laid and you're ready to have your mind blown, start checking out the Star Wars Tales trades. I think they are six of them, collecting all the short comics from the Star Wars Tales series. They run a gamut from absolutely brilliantly tragic to thought provoking to desperately, awe-inspiringly stupid to hilariously funny. Digging through all the crap is half of the fun; and then you stumble on something like A Death Star is Born or Nomad and you forgive Fett Club and Melvin Fett and all that stuff. But it forms a picture. The good stuff wouldn't be half as good without the totally off the wall crap. Inconsistent as they are, I kind of think the Star Wars Tales trades are one of the most essential parts of any EU comic library. They're just so . . . unbelievable.

16. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Wish I had more comics. My parents dont approve of me getting comics because I just go through them really quickly and because of the price. The Omnibus are 20 quid over here in the Uk they're a lot cheaper on my kindle but still. I only have the Chewbacca TPB, Clone Wars Adventures Volume 1 , Clone Wars Sith Hunters and Slaves of the Republic and Shipyards of Doom via Star Wars Comic Uk. I got Sith Hunters quite recently though so I'm making progress I geuss.

17. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Got Children of the Jedi and Bounty Hunter Wars 1: The Mandalorian Armor today. I think my reading plan now is finish Tales From Jabba's Palace, read the rest of the X-Wing series then the NJo books I still need to read then the 2 new books I got.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You can often get them cheaper or near a tenner on Amazon UK. Availability of particular volumes is hit and miss, but nine times out of ten the second hand stuff are good as new.

And tell your parents that comics are cheaper than fags and alcohol, and unlike either of those they can be used more than once. :p

19. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah on ebay they're like £3. I really want the Rise of the Sith omnibus and Clone Wars Omnibus.

20. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    That's awesome! Congrats on a true treasure find my friend.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So that's where those things were hiding.

22. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I guess that means I paid way, way, way, way, way, way, way,way, way, way, way, way, way, way,way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, etc. too much when I bought it a couple months ago for full price at Barnes and Noble.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bah, don't listen to these nonbelievers. The great Waru will reward you for your handsome contribution toward spreading the truth of his Church's gospel, so in the long run you'll be the winner.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    There is this great used book store in my area I love to go to at least once a week that has this never ending sale going on for 5 dollar hardbacks and almost always 2.75 for paperbacks. They have a section solely for Star Wars books and usually in fantastic condition. They have more paperbacks than hardbacks but I'm attempting to see how many hardbacks and so far they have had good stuff, it changes every week. I got the first Darth Bane, Heir to the Empire, and a few of the Legacy of the Force books in amazing hardcover condition. I'd probably have more if I was going just for paperbacks but Star Wars isn't all I buy when I go there so I try to limit myself to one Star Wars book a trip.

DarthJimmer likes this.
  25. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    Stoked on the Kenner 1981 Millennium Falcon, complete with the figures. It's used and out of the box from the thrift stores, but for $20..I don't care. So what's this thing worth..can anyone please tell me? I also got a copy of LOTF Betrayal Hardcover.