main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info New movie every summer beginning 2015 confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 17, 2013.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Anything other than Ahsoka, thanks. [face_plain]

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Just FYI Captain America 2 is actually going to be released in 2014.

3. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Exactly. Many of us have been consuming the books, games, TV Shows, comics, this forum, etc., for years on end. I highly doubt a few movies will burn us out.

Ryus likes this.
  4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, this kills whatever small excitement I had for the new films.

I'll hold my final judgement though.

5. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    If Disney/Marvel can pull it off, so can Disney/LucasFilm.

Ryus likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I do admit, there is something to be said about three years worth of anticipation, which we won't have anymore...

but the Harry Potter series released a film every 18 months on average-nobody got sick of those after eight movies!! Also the Lord of the rings trilogy released a movie every year, just as the Hobbit will also, over the next three years. no one ever got sick of those-in fact. anticipation was always brewing for each next movie that was to come out. It's a great way to stay relevant in a fast moving world of "onto the next!" I know I am super excited for The Desolation of Smaug!

I don't think Star Wars would be any different. Especially for younger audiences, and the general public-who don't necessarily value their speculation time...

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Re-designating as Official.

Ryus likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks Merk. Now, we are ensured that nobody will create any redundant threads on this topic.

9. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm a bit sad about this to be honest. Chocolate once every few months is nice. Chocolate every day is not so nice and it's the same with franchises. I know that people are going to jump on me and criticise me for being overly negative and even accuse me of trolling but I honestly believe that this is a bad development for the franchise. The epic quality of Star Wars is inevitably going to be diluted. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want spin-off's. I really don't. Spin-off's for me have always felt hollow and they are almost always inferior in quality to the main storyline.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow! I can't believe how many old maids are on these forums! We just got the news that SW Xmas is coming every year and all some people can do is complain. [face_dunno] It's the princess and the pea syndrome with SW fans. If a particular film doesn't look good to you, just skip it. They're only movies.

As for "overexposure" - puh-leeeze! You can't go into any mall or convenience store or department store and not be bombarded with SW merch. You can't turn on the tv or go online without finding SW everywhere. SW has already completely saturated our culture. A few well made movies ain't gonna make much of a difference.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    At first, and not that long ago, I thought about the burnout factor and that SW movies would become a lot less of an event... basically that this would dilute the franchise. But I think I've already come around on this to the point where, if they do it right, I think it could be done well and not suffer any franchise burnout or dilution. There are a lot of good posts above pointing out why that's the case, with good examples. At one point, I at least thought that we (SW fans) might not get burned out on it, but that the general public could. But those other examples make me realize that even that may not be the case.

12. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Can you not see what I'm saying? I don't want "Star Wars Xmas every year." It cheapens it. Don't believe me? Take your favourite song - the song you love most in the world. Now play it on loop over and over again and see how long it takes until you tire of it. I would agree with you that Star Wars is deep in our culture but seeing a row of Star Wars underpants in a supermarket and reading a star wars novel every now and again is not the same thing as having the movies, the very core of the star wars culture, churned out over and over again with ever diminishing returns each time. Pirates of the Caribbean 1 was great. 2 was not as great. 3 was a mess. 4 was marginally better than 3. That is the Disney way when it comes to franchises. And that wasn't even 1 film a year.

13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Being a responsible grown up I can manage ;) If I want to wait to see a SW movie, I'll wait! Ta-da! Burnout avoided, joy ensues, life goes on! This isn't going to be "on a constant loop" it's just 5 or 6 movies coming out. I think I can handle that :p Let's see: 50 years of Doctor Who, over 100 years of Sherlock Holmes, gods knows how many translations of Beowulf and the Divine Comedy and War and Peace, hundreds of thousands of Superman comics, thousands of years later we're still lovin' The Iliad and the Odyssey . . . and yet, absolutely no one is tired of these things! I think we're safe.

Darth Gumby and Ryus like this.
  14. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I wasn't sure how to take the news when I first heard it, and I still don't, but I'm going to take the wait and see approach.

15. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Which is more than, say, Satile or Ahsoka have gotten.

so? It's not like that time period has a lock on "interesting". Frankly, I'm sick of the Han/Luke/Leia era as a time period. If they insist on post-ROTJ, then they need to move to some time well after all those characters are dead and dust and start with a new cast.

The only reason they're doing Han/Luke/Leia/Yoda/Fett is because of the bean-counters in Marketing that are telling them that it's the "safe" play.

Every article I've read says "Han/Yoda/Fett" as the first three up as stand-alone/spinoffs.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Amen.

GGrievous likes this.
  17. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    So you're going to end up with half a story by only watching half the movies? That's a terrible idea. You see one or you see them all. Doctor Who is becoming stale. It is very overdone these days. Translations of Beowulf, War and Peace and the Iliad? Well it's the same story isn't it just with a different interpretation. It's not a franchise. There's no need to read every interpretation. A franchise is different. It's one story leading from another. It demands that you see the whole thing. Star Wars was great because there was a sizeable gap between each film. The franchise had a good rest. There will be no rest this time and no time for new creative ideas to be developed. The first idea will be the one they go with because, hey, there won't be time for a second idea. This will cheapen Star Wars. Nothing is free of the law of diminishing returns.

18. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Here is my logic as to why the Quantity vs Quality isn't the pitfall some may think it could be...

Different Directors, Writers, etc. Even likely very different actors.

Thus -- Quality has no reason to suffer if each unique team involved is working independently and diligently on their own projects.

Plus - the sheer bulk of product will continue building the revenue stream for each additional project.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    They Might Be Giants is my absolute favorite band, and they somehow manage to put out a great album every time. They've put out way more albums than we'll have Star Wars movies by 2020, and they still haven't gotten stale. The whole point of a franchise is that there are multiple installments - ya know, for people who want more? If that's not a business practice you like, maybe you've come to the wrong place.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    None of that please mate.

Really? Not a single dud? No? Well I'm glad to hear it.

I'm aware of what a franchise is thank you very much. I want more but in moderation. What is so bad about that? I want a little bit of more. I want one main powerful storyline that everyone works for not a thousand different spin off story lines that dilute talent and the overall story. I want a pause for breath and a time to build up excitement again. I don't more more more more more more more more more right now! Still. That is apparently what everybody else seems to want. Nevermind. I'm done arguing here.

21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    For you it might cheapen it. For me it will not. Every movie will have a chance to stand on its own merits.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I might wait to rent or buy a film instead of seeing it in the movies (although I doubt I will) that's the power of consumer choice! My point was that public appetite for great characters and classic stories doesn't diminish. DW has never been more popular, on a global scale, as it is right now. I don't rewatch episodes I don't enjoy - 'cause I have a choice! The 16 year gap didn't stop people from savaging Episode I and the 3 year gap did nothing to protect Episode II from harsh criticism. And yet...millions of people enjoy and admire those films. To me, whatever their greater values, these are still only movies. And they're movies based principally on the cheapest, most disposable cinema ever created: adventure serials from the days before television (which I happen to love!). They're hiring top talent, spending millions of dollars and planning something special. It's not like when Canon films did Superman IV. This has potential. I'm still re-reading my DH SW comics from the early 90's, you never know what's going to end up being special to you. I'll at least wait to actually see the films before I critique them or dismiss them. If Angry Birds SW and Bobble Head SW and Lego SW hasn't cheapened the series, I see no reason how a film written by an Academy Ward winning (and very talented) writer (who loves SW), directed by a decent A-List director (who also loves SW) based on a story by GL and starring the original cast "cheapens" SW . . .

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ahsoka was a main character in one film and has had an entire six season cartoon series built around her. That's enough.

No it doesn't have a lock on interesting but we've had more than a decade of almost non stop Clone Wars era coverage and frankly as much as I have enjoyed it it has become quite stale IMO. Time to move on. And I don't think Disney is playing it safe just continuing the saga in the most natural way by having the old generation (Han/Luke/Leia) hand off the baton to the next generation (new characters).

Those are rumors and haven't been confirmed by Disney. Again Bob Iger has stated the spin-offs would be about "great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga." That is all that has been confirmed as far as I know.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Not a single dud, in my opinion. There was actually a write up in the NYT last month when their latest album came out talking about how incredible it was that they had gone so long with the same band (no changes in the lineup since it's inception in the early 80s,) and they keep cranking out great album after great album. It's absolutely possible.

As for moderation. I'm not clamoring for a new movie every week. I think it all just comes down to your definition of moderation. I don't feel that a grand total of nine episodes and three spin offs in 43 years of franchise history counts as outside the bounds of moderation. I mean, think about it. You'll get exactly what you want - one main powerful storyline, that I have no doubt they'll pull in the best of the best to make. It's going to be amazing.

Then, on top of that, we'll get three movies, made by separate entities, to tide us over between episodes. Palate cleansers in between entrees, if you will. Now, let's say that you hate every single spinoff, and maybe even one of the episodes. That's still two more Star Wars movies you enjoy, that you didn't have before - and the likelihood of you liking even more is pretty dang possible.

Now, maybe I'm just easy to please. I liked all four Pirates movies, Indy IV, and even parts of Iron Man 2. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I will praise the day that I see a Star Wars movie coming out that I'm not excited about. I would love to have that much Star Wars to pick and choose from - and to me, that's only a good thing.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yo dawg, I heard you like Star Wars, so we put a Star Wars movie in a Star Wars movie so you can watch it while you watch it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.