main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Am I the only one who thinks Matt Lanter instead of Hayden when I think of Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kev Snowmane, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I prefer Matt's version of Anakin, however a lot of that is due to the writing of the character. I prefer the more adult version of the character. I like the CW version of Anakin much more. I'm fine with Hayden as an actor though.

2. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I appreciate both. Ian McDiarmid says Anakin is 'pschologically damaged' irretrievably by the end of ROTS, and it is Palpatine that keeps affecting his sanity the most.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    "Am I the only one" statements are a waste of time. There are 7 billion people on this planet. The chances of you being the only anything are effectively zero.

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    THIS! He's the only Matt I think of when I think of Anakin...Lanter no, just no.

5. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    Matt Lanter was good, but I reckon Hayden could have done the voice for Anakin just as well. He'd have had more free reign in the animated movies than in the live-action movies. Is it me, or do the two even look something alike?

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Though I prefer the writing of TCW Anakin, when I "think" of Anakin in my mind, ROTS Hayden is who appears.

Seerow likes this.
  7. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I definitely like them both for different reasons.

8. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Haynakin is more appropriate for the story; Mattakin is way cooler.

Seerow likes this.
  9. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Hayden trying to do "pissed off" comes off as a whiny brat (I think a lot of it is his voice just doesn't work for that emotion). Matt pulls off "pissed off" Anakin with aplomb.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Angry Lanter Anakin is just Batman.

Neither is particularly great.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Word association: JEJ = Vader, Hayden = Anakin and Lanter = cartoon.

CT-867-5309 and GGrievous like this.
  13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It probably does help Lanter got way more screentime and got to play the heroic Anakin that Obi-wan describes. Hayden's Anakin didn't do anything memorable like that besides slaughtering raiders and little kids. Oh and whining about being held back by Obi-wan.

07jonesj likes this.
  14. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Honestly, I can't stand Matt Lanter period.

AvadaKenobi likes this.
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll agree with that.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly.

Lanter got to play the Anakin that we should have seen in the prequels, and might have, if there were fewer time limitations and so much focus on showing his "dark side."

Christian Bale's gravely Batman voice annoyed me a lot more than Lanter's angry Anakin voice, although I can see some similarities. (And I love Bale's Batman.)

Darth_Quintonis, 07jonesj and Seerow like this.
  17. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Looking back at Hayden's performance in the prequels in comparison to Lanter's voicing of the character, I feel like Hayden never put in much effort in playing Anakin. Before TCW, if you were to ask me if I liked Anakin Skywalker, I wouldn't know whether to say yes or no. My ambivalence to the character made me alternate between both answers. After TCW, I can honestly say without any hesitation that I really like Anakin Skywalker. Don't get me wrong, he has annoyed me in the series a couple times but Hayden's Anakin appalled me.

18. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I love Matt Lanter compared to Hayden, he really made the character interesting. I understand that ROTS Anakin is supposed to be more villainous, but there were times when Clone Wars Anakin had morally questionable moments as well. This must be an incredibly complicated character to act as, the galaxy’s greatest hero that eventually turns into an equally badass villain.

Seerow likes this.
  19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We should totally all put on Matt Lanter avatars next. =b

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Ditto. I remember wanting to brake my PC screen after a season 2 marathon...What made it worse was finding out that Lanter didn't act, but used his regular voice when listening to interviews...the fact he was asked to do Han/Luke voice for the audition did not help to warm up to him.

GGrievous likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.