main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Thank's dew! I'll try to get my fingers in them :)

As for optimism, I go for the Solo approach. Maybe Darth Vader's on the ship, but let's not get jittery.

2. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Hey, even our poster boy for hope in Star Wars brooded now and again.

See: Luke in ROTJ.

I take the Luke approach when faced with something huge. Brood for a bit then find hope and go on from there. :cool:

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The attitude that sayus the only way to get ahead is to look for yourself at all costs, do nothing for no one and basically be a complete bastard! Bu hey, you'll be a success!

And I'd say nope, not Superman/Batman - recently re-read them and they didn't work anywhere near as well. My Superman recommendations would be:

Birthright by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu

Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  4. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Really? Huh, different tastes I suppose.

The entire premise of the Superman/Batman books is "Take two guys who are as different as night and day yet are somehow best friends, throw them in situations, watch them bounce off of each other". I suppose that might not be some people's cup of tea, but for me the ensuing humor is well worth everything else.

Batman: *while he and Superman are surrounded by 80% of DC's villain lineup at once* I suppose telling you to leave is out of the question?
    Superman: Yep.
    Batman: Your funeral.
    Superman: Already had one.

I mean, you guys know me. I like Starfighters of Adumar so much almost entirely on the weight of the humor. So lines like the above just make me love the book. :p

instantdeath likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For me I don't really buy the way Loeb structures it as an absolute dichotomy between the two. I don't think it is as simple a relationship as that. Plus I'm not really a fan of the brooding Bat in the wake of Morrison's re-invention of the character in his Bat-epic.

Still, have to give Public Enemies points for getting rid of the idiotic notion of Luthor as President!

6. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I didn't read it so much as an absolute dichotomy so much as acknowledging that the characters are, in fact, very different people... while at the same time having so much in common.

Again, suppose it's a taste thing. To each his own, right? ;)

Besides, I haven't actually been able to read any of the stories you mentioned, as I'm limited to what my local library has at any one time. [face_blush]

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, in my case, changing tastes! It's a decade between when I first read it and when I re-read it, your outlook changes.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    As someone who's only been reading comics for a little over a year (not counting Star Wars comics), Comixology is a god send, even if it can get expensive. Marvel Unlimited has also been a great resource, but that doesn't really apply here.

I haven't read Morrison's Batman yet, but personally I've got no problem with portraying a "brooding" Bat. Personally, I'm still skeptical at the very idea of acknowledging some of those ridiculous silver age Batman stories :rolleyes:

I do feel Luke and Superman are similar characters, in a lot of ways. Staunch idealists, similar backgrounds, both incredibly powerful, to the point where they're sometimes criticized as too powerful to write well, when in actuality all it requires is a little creativity. The best Superman stories, I've found, are not the ones where the writer is just throwing super powerful threats at him. It's the stories that examine who Superman is, and why he does what he does, and what makes him inspirational. That's what I like to see in a Luke story; sure, him stomping people is great, but we come for the character. A story of Luke inspiring other characters is just as good as one focusing on Luke himself.

9. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I read them more frequently than that, and actually enjoy it more as time goes on, given it injected humor in a comic book industry that is now more known for its idiocy than being cleverly written, y'know?

Anyway, to tie it back to Luke, he's another character I love more and more as time goes on. Sometimes it seems like we're in a resurgence of the 90's anti hero craze...

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, not anti-hero Dew, just xxxxxttttrrrreeeeeMMMMEEE!

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually feel we're reverting away from that, in a lot of ways. In comics especially, look at Waid's current run on Daredevil; for the first time in decades, the dude is actually smiling. I love dark Daredevil, but I also think Waid's more fun take is great. And of course, The Avengers set box office records, and that makes no attempt at being a serious, Nolanesque superhero movie. It's just fun, from beginning to end.

I don't really think it leans to overtly in one direction or the other. Sure, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are both wildly popular now, but I do think the stigma that entertainment has to be dark and solemn to have depth is quickly dying. I love stuff like that, but it can't all be that. There seems to be a kind of balance, and I hope that continues. The Star Wars sequels, particularly after the PT, need to be fun.

kataja likes this.
  12. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm all for fun movies!

Actually, glad you mentioned The Avengers, as it's currently my favorite live-action superhero flick simply because it's just fun from start to finish. It operates almost entirely on fun and awesomeness in a great mix, and there's humor throughout.

Also, on that note @ fun... was anyone else a fan of Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

Loved that show. Also, as an Aquaman fan (I find he's criminally underrated!), B:TBATB Aquaman is BEST Aquaman!

"OUTRAGEOUS!"

He was indeed.

Here's hoping the next SW movies are at least fun if nothing else!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, that annoys me too. Especially when Nolanites talk about how deep the new Batman movies are. Sure they are a bit different than the conventional comic book movies but something like Monty Pythons "Meaning of Life" is imo deeper despite being funny and not dour.

kataja likes this.
  14. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    FINALLY! Someone else who doesn't fangasm at the mention of the Nolan films!

Even for Batman it felt too gritty and grim and depressing. Also, I nearly ralphed in the theater at The Dark Knight's look for Two Face.

You have no idea how lonely I feel in this opinion! [:D]

kataja likes this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've heard great things about Geoff Johns Aquaman series, but have yet to check it out.

Also, Dew, watch Firefly if you haven't. I can't imagine you not being a fan of that.

16. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I will try to find time for it yeah.

I've hit my stride at being optimistic for the future of Star Wars now. See? Just give me time and my optimism always wins. It may take time, but it always wins. :D

kataja likes this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Luckily (or rather, tragically) it's not a huge time investment, only 14 episodes and a movie. It's very heavily influenced by Star Wars in more ways than one, some much more obvious than others. If you like Han Solo at all, I imagine you'll really enjoy it.

18. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Sweet. Han was always my brother's favorite character growing up (fraternal twin bros, naturally one was Han the other was Luke, lol). So I've got a lot of nostalgia attached to the character.

Also, this music is perfect for getting one back into the spirit of the franchise.

Couple that with looking at my avatar and well, I'm ready for what comes. Good or bad, I'll hope for good until and unless proven wrong!

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Farscape is even more like Star Wars and also awesome sauce. John Crichton is a hero that reminds me of Luke in some respects. He is also idealistic, a fish out of water, has good people skills and is an all around swell guy (even if he becomes a bit insane later, but that only enhances his appeal).

[:D]

Don't get me wrong, I liked Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but for me they were only "nice movies", nothing to get excited about. Christian Bale was imo miscast, Michael Keaton did a much better job at delivering an actually interesting Batman (which is kind of the most important part of a Batman movie, not the bad guy).

What I also disliked was the over the top philosophical monologues as that isn't very "realistic". In real life people don't talk like that.

Dark Knight Rises was way too dark. Everything so glum. Why would I care about the characters if they all bore me? Sheesh!

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Farscape's a lot of fun and, in Scorpius, has a villain who is a real heir to Vader!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I actually admit to having watched Farscape for a while when it was on, I think, Sci Fi?

Never got to see the end, just the real beginning of it. I loved it as I recall. XD

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It got to 4 Seasons and a Miniseries. Season 3 is imo the best.

There's also comics, but they disappointed me. Aeryn Sun as religious person? No thanks.

I love Scorpius and fortunately they are different enough that they don't feel like expies of one another. :cool:

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    When it comes to Batman and Superman, i always remember a line from Justice League: Unlimited, the episode is 'Hereafter:

To me, that's their relationship. And I think Luke and Superman would get along great. Granted Supes could flick his finger and reduce about 95% of Sith lords to a red mist... :p

24. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    one of the weirder ideas added to continuity, it's right up there with Luke falling in love with Callista, a ghost in the machine, and the Waru incident. Was there any reasoning to why he didn't wear his original robes ?

well Abeloth already consumed her body, she was dead already technically. The problem is that her Force spirit was trapped in the DS entity and could not become one with the Force. What Luke did was simply freed her from the prison of Abeloth and it was a equally nice scene for Luke as well as closure for Luke and Callista's relationship. Although I really would have prefer some closure scenes between Luke and Mara, but then again we never got that single novel that focuses on Luke, Ben, and co. coping with their lost.

enter hopefully the ST clean slate :D

Luke having a family is important(Mara!!!!), building back the Order is important, being powerful(time to see what a Skywalker in action can really do, see DE, BFC, TUF, DNT, SotP, etc), resourceful, wise, optimistic/idealist weathered by experience and retain his morals are equally important.

I think GL pretty much let the cat out of the bag, but I'm sure Disney will release the news once they get the entire original cast are on contract. Now time for Hamill to hit the gym :p

you know I would comment as these three are my favorite characters :p also same goes for Jon Snow who share similar traits between all of them. As mention before, all of these characters set up a high ideal and inspire people to action.

I have taught you well apprentice, now wait til the Cap sequel arrives, watch Avengers in the mean time. :cool: For Superman I would recommend the 1978 movie, there is something just charming/awesome about how Christopher Reeve portrays him, he's cheerful 90 % of the time unless Lois or people are in danger. He reminds me of Hamill in OT as he's selfless and putting others before his own welfare. The 1978 film though has some major faults but it's easily overlooked with Reeve's performance. Next I would suggest is the 90's Superman animated series/Justice League series....such episodes like "For the Man Who Has Everything." are emotionally moving and can entertain both kids and adults. There are a bunch of episodes where Superman shines Lastly I hear the book Birthright written by Mark Waid(picture Tom Taylor)who has written both Superman and Cap before and goes into the modern take of of Superman origins.

I would say Christoper Reeve might fill that role for you, since both he and Hamill have been typecast into the role of the ideal hero. Interesting enough both were in the same film too, Village of the Damned.

that's the spirit :)

25. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Oh man YES the DCAU for good Superman writing! It's also great for everyone-whose-name-is-not-Hawkman.

That's probably my biggest beef with the DCAU- they turn Hawkman from the one guy who's more grim and ruthless than Batman into some sort of delusional stalker. I mean, that is just incredibly disrespectful to the character, and I've read Justice Society of America comics and it's just a big "Whaaaaat." moment for anyone resembling a Hawkman fan.

Still, it's at least 90% pure undiluted awesomeness. Just ignore the bad parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.