main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Jack Kirby's Fourth World & Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by powersRweak, Apr 18, 2013.

1. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    Anybody read this comic book series or is familiar with it and it's similarities to Star Wars?
    I thought this was quite interesting as i'd never heard the comparison before - this is from an article by Jonathon Ross in The Times (UK);

"I’m trying not to get too nerdy on you here, but in Jack Kirby’s Fourth World stories published by DC between 1970 and 1973 we meet a bunch of characters who draw much of their power from an invisible Universe-wide power called The Source, while a bunch of Gods battle to save us from the Dark Side — represented a tad literally by the villainous Darkseid, who bears more than a passing resemblance to Darth Vader. Oh, and in a bombshell revelation near the end of the series he turns out to be the father of the main hero. The first Star Wars movie came out four years later".
    (Not provided link to main article as it's a pay site and is an article about Star Trek anyway. :()

Looking over the few mentions there are on the net about the connection, there is also a character named Mark Moonrider.

Jack Kirby is an influence on Star Wars, because comic books are .The direct comparison may be nothing more than coincidence but every other blockbuster movie is co-conceived by Kirby so why not Star Wars?
    This is a link to an interview with Mark Hamill where they mention it but don't discuss it. :)
    http://twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/28hamill.html

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Awesome interview! That's really cool that Mark met Kirby and some of the other comic greats!

I never made that connection(except for Darkseid and Dark Side) until I read Kirby: King of Comics by Mark Evanier. The book also mentions how Captain Victory was Kirby's answer to Star Wars (hoping Image eventually collects that book, so I can read it).

powersRweak likes this.
  3. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Arawn_Fenn and powersRweak like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Discuss the post -mod edit

5. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    Just ordered King of Comics, thanks for the heads up, it looks really good. I'm a part time comic book fan nowadays but I love anything like this, cheers.

Interesting read. I really liked the Fantastic Four comparison and even if it is somewhat tenuous, it's neat.
    His take on Campbell as an out of touch intellectual and Lucas as a plagiarist pseud seems a stretch though, but now I'm talking about things I know even less about :) (edit: also I am exaggerating a little)

What doe's "double sigh" mean anyway?

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  6. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Ha! I was curious if the King ever drew anything Star Wars related, so I googled it. Pretty cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

powersRweak and Arawn_Fenn like this.