main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I was wondering why his Twitter was suddenly so quiet...Pathetic, ESPN.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I guess I won't be getting any sports news on ESPN this morning.

Not to be insensitive, but ESPN needs to stop trying to report actual news as though it were CNN, or whatever.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, I kind of understand them covering this one given the bombings happened at a major sporting event.

That being said, I cannot abide by Trey Wingo saying the Chargers will be the Super Bowl champs on the basis of them being the opponent for the Eagles home opener.

4. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    the Chargers' window of opportunity has closed.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Since we don't have a general sports broadcasting thread, and since ESPN and ABC are under the same umbrella ...

I'd like to take this e-space to stand on my soap box and say how disappointed I am in Al Michaels. Truly, one of the best (arguably, the best) sports broadcaster of all time. Yet, accusation of DUI. That's disappointing, unacceptable, and 100% avoidable.

Hey, Al. Calling a cab isn't a miracle, but I do believe in that.

LloydChristmas and ma_petite like this.
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So ATH & PTI are off for the rest of this week because of the NFL Draft... mind you, the draft won't actually be on from 2-3pm (PST), but they need that time anyway to discuss, because you know it's not discussed enough on ESPN. [face_plain] ********!

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That's stupid. Wake me up when the NFL draft is over.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    NBA halftime.

Bill Simmons (on Nash): "He's had more epidurals than Octomom!"
    Jalen Rose: "... don't get fired, Bill."

Because, at this point, I could see ESPN being that stupid...

DarthTunick and s65horsey like this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm hoping this is something they've had in the works for awhile and just had interesting timing announcing their plans for it amidst all the coverage surrounding those three women recently freed from captivity in Cleveland.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The first time I read this, I thought you were referring to the entire city of Cleveland as the site of their captivity.

DarthIntegral and xblackout like this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thank you, I just choked on a corn dog in laughter.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I saw something about this on Twitter about a week or two ago (they started filming I guess?) and I'm pretty excited to see what comes from this! I mean...I don't really understand it myself. Why do we torture ourselves like this?

14. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    They currently have on a fashion critic from Lucky magazine talking about anything from what NBA players are wearing in post game press conferences, to headbands that the NFL players wear.

Must be a slow sports news day.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably inspired by that 80's flashback of a blazer Dwayne Wade wore to the HEAT's last press conference (though I thought what Lebron wore was worse).

I consider trotting out Mel Kiper to do a 2014 mock draft to be even more stupid though.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The only thing worse than the crazed, overblown draft coverage are the mock drafts.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

About a minute in.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Just another symptom of ESPN's addiction to the NFL (another great example: NFL 32 on The Deuce... you really need to discuss every team every single weekday?).

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So a player on a top tier NFL team (Aaron Hernadez of the Patriots for anybody who doesn't know), has been linked to a homicide, and instead of devoting at least five minutes to it (as a player with ties to a murder is a big deal, especially a player on a team like the Patriots), ESPN instead turns into the all LeBron James channel and focusing completely on Game 7 of the NBA finals.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He's also linked to shooting another man, reportedly. Separately.

21. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This doesn't look like the actions of an innocent person.

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has not been ruled out as a suspect in the execution-style murder of a semi-pro football player, law enforcement sources told ABC News on Thursday.

Sources told ABC News that the home security system at Hernandez's home, along with his cell phone, were destroyed. Police were at Hernandez's home again Thursday with another search warrant based on evidence that Hernandez "destroyed his home security system," an investigator close to the case told ABC.

The investigator and other law enforcement sources, confirmed that the security system was smashed intentionally. Hernandez's cell phone was handed over to investigators "in pieces" by his attorneys, sources added.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    to be fair, shootings and murders and such aren't really the kinds of stories that espn is qualified to cover. i'm happy if they stick to covering sports and leave the coverage of more serious matters to more reputable news sources.

DarthIntegral and DarthTunick like this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Not really an egregious misallocation of coverage, if you ask me. It's not ESPN's place to speculate about speculate about such potentially explosive criminal charges when no arrest has been made.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We should ask jasonfry for a Poynter Review take. :p

The issue is: they've constantly reported on things like this in the past, some more specious and far less damaging. Maybe this is a "new and improved" ESPN, but it's hard not to notice the geographic issue in this reporting or lack thereof...

s65horsey and Darth McClain like this.