main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will the spin-offs be shorter in length?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Star Wars fan94, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Star Wars fan94

Star Wars fan94 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 13, 2013
    Do you think that the spin-off coming after Episode VII will be shorter, like around an hour and a half long? Also, I wonder how much advertising n the spin-off will get, since it's coming out a year after Episode VII.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know why they'd be shorter.

TCW movie was only an hour and a half long and that didn't do it any good at the box office.

I personally thought the prequel movies sacrificed content to fit into a particular time frame, so I hope the ST movies and spinoffs take as much time as they need.

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Fair question, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were still 2 hours long.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It really wouldn't matter.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    They will be 12 minutes long.

6. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I think the spin-offs will have similar run times to Episode 7-9.

I also think the spin-offs will be advertised just as much as the episodes, Iron Man is getting advertised the **** out of right now. If Iron Man equals spin-off and Avengers equals Episode then Disney will keep it similar, Disney has plenty of money.

Ryus likes this.
  7. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I still find it hard to believe that they'll be able to crank-out a film every year. Still, I suppose both the spin-offs and Episodes VII-IX will be being developed, written and shot simultaneously by different teams, so perhaps the actual length of time taken to finish each film will be similar to what we're used to with the previous films.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Peter Jackson can do it and he's just one director.

9. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

That's true. I suppose it's simply the case that I'm not used to thinking of Star Wars films coming so thick and fast.

10. RebelBird631

RebelBird631 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    Just a hunch...but what happens if Disney decides in the near future to do sequels to the spin off films....like a "Boba Fett 2"..how would that fit into the timeline of Disney's newest announcement of a movie every summer alternating between Episodes 7-9 and the spin-off films?

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They'll be 69 minutes long.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I dont think it matters how long they are as long as they are well done.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Unless the studio decides to interfere and alter the length for marketing reasons they will be as long or as short as they need to be to tell their individual stories.

14. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Well we talk about films so if they follow the standard of Star Wars it will be around 2h long...Anyway there will be so much of them that for all we know it may change for each one. No one can tell yet.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's Disney. All spin-offs will appear as Pixar Shorts before each numeric Episode.

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Wouldn't be all too different from the 2003-2005 Clone Wars microseries ;)

17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Actually, seeing as they'll likely be one-offs until the ST is done, I think there's a good indicator that they may be longer. You need to craft a satisfying one and done story for a beloved character in the spin-offs, in the ST, ending on a cliffhanger that you'll pick up for another two hours in a couple years is no problem. Not to say that they'll be four hours long, but plenty of movies these days push 2:30 without suffering for it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    There's ZERO reason why they should be. I think people worry too much about running time. It's a pointless exercise. They story should be however long it takes to tell -- be it 120 minutes more or less.

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Time doesn't matter to me. Quality is. One worry I have is that they'll do a certain thing another specific disney-related studio does: Put all time/effort into your Big films *Iron man and Avengers for example* but then play too safe/not care for your solo films.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    That was always my biggest complaint with the prequel movies. The sacrfice of content to appease a 2 and 1/2 hour limit. It backfired, hopefully the sequels wont be that way. I want to be able to see the movie and know that I'm getting everything. When I read the novlization of the movie, I don't want to many if any scenes that weren't in the movie. Expanding of character thoughts yes, but complete scenes no. The prequels were so incomplete. Not only did you need to have the movies and their dvd/blue ray releases with extra content explaing the movie, but you had to go after the novel, comic books, art books, making of books just to get the full story.

ROTS has the Yoda scene in Dagobah that was not included in the movie. That was an iconic moment that needed to be in there. Then in AOTC you had the cuts and edits that killed the battle at the end. Heck, they had jedi starfighters that we never saw in fighter to fighter combat in the movie. You had to get a stupid video game to see it in action. Big loss. Then there was that scene where Ki-Mundi attacked the Trade Federation control ship that was cut. When you look at that a scene plus what they left in the movie, you can see the bad cut and edits. Then there was a lack of a space battle. How in the world was the Republic able to land their ships if the planet was blockaded by the Separatisits? They spend too much time with crappy love scenes, noir investigation, and when the time came for the punch.....naw we'll cut sometime and just show a bit.

In the TPM we never really got to see the Naboo fighters use their proton torpedoes until Anakin fired them inside the ship, yet there is a book that shows a scene where they use to torps. Not good.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the sequels erasing the bad memories of the prequels and so are many other people out there.