main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    A theory that GL deliberately made horrible movies to try to get people to forget about Star Wars so that he could concentrate on what he thought of as more important movies has been floating around since Greedo shot first.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's an absurd theory

Aaronaman likes this.
  3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

I think you might need new batteries

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've heard it claimed about both trilogies (including OOT ANH).

5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Looks like layoffs at Lucasfilm aren't over yet:

----Stacy Arnold-Strider, Product Development Manager at Lucasfilm

6. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney: Become my new property. Learn to use the money-making side of product making.
    Star Wars: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me live on.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney: Henceforth you shall be known as Darth... Cancellations.

Darkslayer and Gallandro like this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I suspect that how the Disney purchase is ultimately viewed depends on whether or not Disney releases the OOT (when they can).

ARAJediMaster likes this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As long as they also release the OPT too. And as long as they're just for novelty's sake.

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    This brings up a good point I'd forgotten. Disney now owning Star Wars means it'll be harder for Lucas to constantly change and ruin the OT. Will this result in us getting the OOT? Who knows? We're definitely more likely than we were before.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The changes to the movies bug me.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's not as simple as that. Less likely, if anything.

No more changes - yes. A full-blown, expensive OOT restoration, I doubt it.

14. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. I think a restored OOT is more likley under Disney then under Lucas. Dude just inexplicably did not seem to like the Wars all that much. Wanted it to be more humorous or whatever you call the end result of the mangling he gave that film the 3ish times he took a whack at that thing in the last decade and s half.

When you come right fown to it, he's the only person that turned in an alternative edit of that flick that doesn't seem to be a fan. :(

Darth_Pevra and Heero_Yuy like this.
  15. Howard the Duck

Howard the Duck Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2012
    That's a pretty hilarious point to be making, and it kinda makes sense!

16. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Disney would still make money off 3D re-releases. Fox just takes a distributor fee. All the rest of the money would go to Lucasfilm (i.e. Disney). Obviously, they would prefer to get all the money, but making fans wait until 2020 (when Fox loses right to all the films except ANH) to see the PT and OT on the big screen again will just piss off lots of people.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    So why do you think they pulled the plug on the rest of the 3D movies?

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Lack of interest, perhaps?

19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I guess they really want to look forward right now. It's where the franchises main strength is centered. It's best to leave the PT in the past for now. Maybe that's it.

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    While it seems Disney isn't exactly crazy about the PT, re-releasing the Saga in 3D would end with the original trilogy, and build sufficient hype for IX. I still don't get it.

darth ladnar likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Perhaps with a movie every year they think it might be overkill. I would love to see them in 3D, too.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You mean, like they will be doing from 2015 onwards?

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess Disney wants original content.

24. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's a worry I have about Disney's takeover of SW that I don't believe has been addressed on this thread yet. I think it's inevitable that Disney will run the franchise into the ground, and I'd hate to see that happen.

I agree with Jerry Seinfeld. You have to go out on a high note. For me, ROTS was that high note. It along with TESB are the only films that I never seem to tire watching. (Typically I don't like to see a film more than once or twice.) ROTS also seems to be a high note for fans of the Saga. On a poll in the Saga Forum, the ROTS is in a close 2nd behind the TESB; then, there's a big gap and ANH and ROTJ are near each other at 3rd and 4th; then there's another big gap and TPM and ATOC are at the bottom. ROTS is only prequel to be more highly rated than a OT film on rottentomates (higher than ROTJ) and despite all the anti-prequel hate, ROTS's imdb rating is higher than almost all the Bond films and almost all non-Nolan directed comic books films. So, for fans and for the general public, ROTS is thought to be a strong entry, and it left the Saga on a high note.

Now these next films may be good or they may not, but you KNOW that Disney will keep trying to squeezing the juice out of SW until the juice runs dry, so inevitably, SW will end on a low note. Or even worse, in an attempt to resuscitate a dying franchise, they might even reboot the OT (I'm so glad SW doesn't deal with time travel. That will prevent a Star Trek like wipe-away-the-past reboot at least.) I am skeptical about the ST since I can't see where they will go given that ROTJ wraps up so many storylines, but I would hate for SW to become like the Star Trek franchise as it limped along with mediocre installments until virtually no one cared about it and those who did care about it only did so b/c they hated where it had taken Trek. So, really, does anyone here think that Disney's run as SW's owner won't most likely end up going down just this path?

One other thing I'd like to mention. Disney makes a lot of stinkers too. I'm not crazy about all the Marvel films, but they're still pretty good. However, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise had 1 pretty good installment out of 4 IMHO, and they're making a 3rd Tron movie and 3rd National Treasure after already after making 2 mediocre/bad films in those series IMHO. For every Wall-E, there's a Mars Needs Moms or a Jungle Book 2. The point is Disney will make crappy films if they think they'll earn a buck.

25. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    A lot of people are saying that Disney will more than likely 'kill' Star Wars off by releasing new films and what ever else they do but surely if the first film isn't that great, I'm actually looking forward to it because Disney has a lot riding on the deal so it'll be fantastic, I'll just put it down to teething troubles and wait for the next instalment.

Even if by some terrible twist of fate the latest SW movies are flops they'll never take away how great and how much I enjoyed the OT/PT! Disney will only ruin SW if you're small minded enough to let them.

darthbarracuda and Sean Sinclair like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.