main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I adjusted some of your numbers (caveat: Wiki) using worldwide grosses, as I'm sure we'd like to compare apples to apples or to fill in values missing.

Oh, look, Star Trek V didn't have much of an impact on the bottom-line of VI! But, really, Star Trek (2009) was good -- it just wasn't really the same kind of Star Trek that existed prior, even in TNG era (no matter how bad Nemesis was). And I really don't think they will continue this with a 2.5x ROI, when they showed they could make films -- with the right characterizations and stories -- with vasty better ROI for cheaper...

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just don't understand how someone can dislike First Contact, either as a Star Trek movie or a movie in its own right. Somebody hug me.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Thanks, that's helpful. so, really, WoK is the Trek box office champion, which it deserved to be with by far the best and most Trek-like story of the series. IV is right behind it though and to be fair, it offers a very Trek-like story too, and even though it devolves into self-parody, the OS wasn't above that either.

District 9 proved it's still possible to make high end sci fi for less than $50 million, despite three decades of production inflation since TMP, and I wouldn't object to staying true to old Trek on a modest budget. Traditional values Trek doesn't translate to big summer tentpole pics.

4. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    edit: nevermind

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    ST II (OC) 8.82
    ST IV (OC) 6.33
    ST III (OC) 5.44
    ST VI (OC) 3.59
    ST VII (NG + S) 3.37
    ST VIII (NG) 3.24
    Star Trek (OC) 3.02
    ST XI (NC + N) 2.56
    ST IX (NG) 1.93
    ST V (OC) 1.91
    ST X (NG) 1.12

OC = original cast
    NG = Next Generation cast
    NG + S = Next Gen + Shatner
    NC + N) = new cast + Nimoy

Looking at ROI with dp4m's numbers, there's a pretty clear dividing line between the next gen and the original cast in terms of the profitability of the franchise. No one would ever consider rebooting Next Generation Trek, for reasons that are obvious.

But Abrams Trek is really bridging that gap between the modestly profitable and the flops. Objectively speaking, there's no reason he should be tasked with building a global general movie audience for Trek.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with almost all of that. :) However, I think traditional-Trek could translate to big summer tentpole -- just not with any of the storylines we've seen thus far (and also, TMP looked gorgeous and was well worth the money, even if too long).

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Nothing has compared to TMP in terms of showing off the Enterprise. And that plus cast nostalgia was enough to help the movie turn a modest profit.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    This conversation is getting so boring. Can we talk about Star Trek instead of business?

halibut likes this.
  9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I cant wait for this movie... The extended preview I saw during the Hobbit looked great.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The real fun this year is in original sci fi. Oblivion, After Earth, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Gravity and Ender's Game.

After that comes the franchise sci fi

Star Trek and Catching Fire

and after that comes the sci fi wannabe comic book stuff:

Iron Man 3, Man of Steel

I'm only counting on two of these movies to be any good, but will be happy if the ratio is better.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    What about Thor 2: The Dark World?

I'm looking forward to with the original stuff PacRim, Elysium and Gravity

Star Trek or else I wouldn't be in this thread.

And IM3 and MoS.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Has anyone seen "The Captains"? Turns out Patrick Stewart is as boring in real life as he was as captain Picard, and Chris Pine seems to have a good head on his shoulders. And Kate Mulgrew needs a hug even more than Coruscant.

Shatner's stock went way up with that documentary. The man is really an artistic genius. I would definitely want to fight him.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought The Captains was boring, typical Shatner ego-stroking, and I'm an actual Star Trek fan. The best part was when he and Avery Brooks appeared to be having a contest as to who could act more eccentric.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe their intent was to do some lighter fare following the heavier GEN and darker FC: effectively try to do their equivalent of TVH.

Unfortunately they completely dropped the ball in terms of plot, recycling story concepts done better on the show (which worked out so well for TMP...), burdening characters they didn't know what to do with with embarrassingly awful dialogue (so you have a romance story involving Picard as well as a fountain of youth plot- and the only thing you can do with Crusher for the movie is have her talk about her boobs for 3 seconds? [and, really, DOCTOR Crusher is going to use that term? Not the 13 year old boy that wrote the script?]) and coming up short on even technical aspects (the Microsoft flightstick on a cardboard podium controls for the Enterprise-E, the finale revolving around a set that looks like they forgot to fill in the bluescreen, etc).

Bleeding away general audience goodwill established with FC. ignoring the TV fanbase and failing to bring any cohesion to the film series (tying 7/8/9 together like 2/3/4 or even 2/3/6, for example), it ultimately ended up failing as an installment of the franchise, failing as an entry within it's own series and failing as a movie on its own standing.

A Trek film has to function as at least one of those to succeed and it failed on all three counts.

(Also the fact that the teaser trailer presented almost entirely different (and interesting) movie from the actual product didn't help either to curb "what could have been" comparisons.)

The reality is that if Nemesis had been IX, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation as there would likely have been no reboot, though they'd have moved on from the TNG cast by now.

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm excited for the space battles. Probably more than I should be but whatever. Here are some gifs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, this is a nitpick, but why did they change phasers to Star Wars lasers? What was the point of that beyond Abrams' beating us over the head with his intent?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    See, the USS Kelvin disaster gave a young engineer called, uh, Emile Blaster the resolve to develop his concept of laser weaponry and...

Lord Vivec and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think the Defiant's pulse-phaser cannons started that particular rot, way back in DS9.

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I have not .... yet. Instant queued! It sounds interesting

20. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Actually the TOS phasers had both Pulse and beam configurations.

the Klingons used pulse configured disruptors, Romulans use both beam and pulse disruptors in all series. And in the TOS phasers ere red, But the out every orifice beam spam was abrams attempt to borrow from star wars. Make Trek more general appeal.

Star Trek battles are more Submarine and Golden age of exploration style fighting, because ships have to work around "design" issues. there are supose to be reasons federation ships, romulan ships and klingon ships follow their design patterns.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm trying to remember but didn't Enterprise have phase cannons on the NX-01 as well?

I don't have a problem with the "bolt" approach but it would be nice for them to mix it up and include TNG-style phasers some times.

The fact that the TOS films tended to seemingly forget the Enterprise was armed with anything other torpedoes probably didn't help, either (I think it was V that has the only phaser firing of the films, which is effectively the same as never firing the phasers as far as audience awareness goes ;)).

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    WoK had phaser-fire between the Reliant and the Enterprise.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

Please don't mention enterprise...that era had such potential only to be drowned in the mediocraty and rehashing of Rick Berman and Brendon Brannon.

Sigh, the rehash of the saucer design, using hull plating and another version of Shields. Then the "Phase" pistols and "Phase" cannons. It boggles my mind how Paramount left those two at the helm so long when it was so obvious they had zero creativity left.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nope.

Enterprise-D had phaser emitters on her nacelle pylons. Plus, considering 3-D combat, its kind of a smart design idea to have guns that point in different directions.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Which is why almost all starfighters, except for maybe the ones from Space: Above and Beyond, only shooT forward... ::sigh ::

Ah, forgot about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.