main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Seriously...good old family drama.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's even juicier when you realize she's hired the late Johnny Cochran's firm.

3. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
  4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
  5. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    It's the SEC so not much, if anything, is going to happen. The changeing grades I believe, but the paying players paltry sums of money to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars in the NFL seems too far-fetched to me.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saban, 5.62 mil/year.

Highest paid coach now, more than Mack.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Darthkat76 likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well ... It does add just a tiny bit of stability/hope we might soon be done with realignment.

9. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    GO VOLS!!!

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Had no idea there was a fellow UT fan on the boards. Awesome! Hoping for big things with Butch, but it looks like we will be without half our running attack- Lane looks like he's done himself in.

(And my user just indicates mine and my entire family's basketball allegiance.)

Cheers.

11. Lord Revan

Apr 15, 2013
    I doubted there would be anymore on here lol. I think Butch is a better coach than Dooley for sure, and he is killing it recruiting right now. Hopefully he can hold the class together when we struggle (which we are going to) in the fall.

Yeah, I dunno what's going on with Lane. They say the redshirt freshman Alden Hill is looking really good in practice and is splitting 1st team reps with Neal. RB depth is horrendous, though.

12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Big 10 dumps Leaders and Legends division names (will now be East and West) with the following in each division:

East - Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and Rutgers.

West - Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin — plus Purdue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ders-division-names-way-154226859--ncaaf.html

Also, the Big Ten will start a nine-game conference schedule beginning in 2016.

Weird how Indiana is split up with Indiana in the East and Purdue in the West, why didn't they just split up Michigan and Michigan State, then you could have had both Indiana's (which are more East then Michigan in the Eastern division?

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because they want Michigan and Michigan State playing each other every year. It's a more significant rivalry than Indiana/Purdue.

Anyway, those divisions don't quite seem balanced, but it gives Wisconsin an easier road to the Big Ten Championship every year, so I'll take it.

ma_petite likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Rx, that simply isn't true. Both TSUN and Sparty are further easy than either of the Indiana schools. The B1G got it right. On pure geography, the seven eastern most schools are in the East, and the seven western most schools are in the West. It just makes sense.

Now, we can get some really meaningful games the Saturday after Thanksgiving, with a spur in the B1G title game on the line, as well as probable been in the semifinals.

ma_petite likes this.
  15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Alright, I messed up in thinking that Indiana was more east then Michigan; still when the Big Ten adds two or more schools (like Virginia, NC, Georgia Tech and then either ND or Duke), then I'm sure that Indiana will shift west, but what really is interesting is that Atlanta (where Georgia Tech resides) is actually more west than either of the Michigan schools, so I would guess that then the divisions might be like:

East - Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia, NC, Duke, and then save a spot for BC or some other eastern school.

West - Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Georgia Tech, and then save a spot for ND (if they ever decide to join).

16. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Sorry for double post, but actually once you get to 16 and above, then changing divisions to a pod system will more than likely happen. If so, then maybe the Big Ten is broken down as such at 16:

West - Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Central - Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue

North - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State

East - Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, Georgia Tech

Now, if NC and Duke arrive and you get to 18 then they will probably change it to the Southeast Division and have NC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia

West - Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern

Northeast - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Purdue

For 20 and above, then it all depends on who else they might add: Boston College, Notre Dame, UConn, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisville, etc.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think I'm obligated to criticize the Tennessee talk, on the grounds of rivalry.

Also glad to see the big whatever get rid of those horrible leaders and legends names.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I just want them to get to 20, so they can rebrand it as the Big Tens

(Kidding)

Lowbacca_1977 and ma_petite like this.
  19. Lord Revan

Apr 15, 2013
    who is your team?

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm currently at Vanderbilt, and so in theory am supposed to care more about that.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice. I think it may be the one SEC school where you can slide on "caring about" football (but now not on basketball) just because you're the shark in the minnow pond, academically. If Franklin keeps winning, that may not be true in a few years. Resisting the tidal wave of SEC football frenzy that is, not your academic standing.

Ive always liked Vandy more than UK.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, my adopted team previously, both due to family, and due to my undergrad being somewhere that didn't have a football team, is UCLA, and that has stuck while I'm down here, as I'm not, overall, a fan of the SEC. So last season, I actually managed to go to an equal number of UCLA and Vanderbilt games (3 each).

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice, I like the Bruins too. I believe they play a home/away series Memphis in the next few years for an out of conference game, if that's close to where you are.

Speaking of out of conference games, I wonder if UT and Southern Cal are going to stick to the verbal agreement that Mike Hamilton made for 2021-22. Always struck me as very weird that we'd be planning out-of-conference games 12 years in advance (at the time).

24. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's a big deal, especially in the case of Florida State. Good for the ACC, smart move.