main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info New movie every summer beginning 2015 confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 17, 2013.

1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    ...and in other shocking news the sky is blue, water is wet and the pope is a catholic!

TreborSabreon and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The continuity will be ok cause the early spinoffs will be prequels .....& Christmas comes once a year & I like Christmas so we should be fine with a Star Wars movie every year......

3. jnrssa

jnrssa Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2013
    I am both ecstatic but skeptical

4. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Holiday Special for every Christmas!

6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I really hope the plan isn't episodic films past Episode 9, two years later. The trilogy aspect of the series is very important, and while I don't doubt that 7-9 are mapped out, I'd hate to see a 10-12 trilogy thrown together so soon. Also, while episodic movies are the most important commodity of the Star Wars franchise, but they shouldn't be extended into James Bond proportions.

I want to see an episode 9, but I don't want an episode 20. What made the Saga so strong (as it was when it was a six film saga at the time of the Blu-Ray release) was that it was a small, but strong and incredibly detailed series of six films. While I'll gladly accept a 9 or 12 film saga, I really hope they don't go for an episode 13-15 trilogy and onwards. By that point they'll be stretching out the numbered films to comical proportions (Friday the 13th, anyone?), and will be overshooting the known plans that GL had.

Really, following episode 9 or 12, I want to see simply spin-offs or the creation of a while new Saga with a different name. Taking movie serials as an example, Dick Tracy had a 15 episode serial entitled "Dick Tracy", and each episode had its own subtitle. After episode 15, they ended it and came back with Dick Tracy Returns, another 15 episode serial.

So why not let Star Wars exist as a 9-12 episode series and then release something like "Star Wars Old Republic Episode I - (insert subtitle here)" and continue that for 9 to 12 episodes?

That way the original Saga is contained, and finished, and we could move onto a whole new Saga with a fresh numbering system and avoid continuing onwards into the future of the original Saga.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Did the other films have good continuity?

It all got retconned as Obi-Wan being the biggest liar in history, Luke just not knowing that he was hot for his sister, Chewie suddenly disliking the Jedi after giving Yoda a lift, and Leia remembering her mother.....when she wasn't even born yet.

Ryus and fishtailsam like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Thank you

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank Patton Oswalt.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well put. Agreed on all counts.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Whether you like it or not, she's become a much beloved supporting character, and an important one. Her story deserves a resolution, and would be far more interesting than watching a geriatric Ford, Hammil, and Fisher hobble around like they aren't retirement age. Even Star Trek had to admit at some point that the era of Kirk and crew was over and move on to other casts (until Reboot Abrams got hold of the franchise anyways).

13. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    So what happened to her then? She's as much a main cast member now as any of the "Big Eight". Where's her story resolution?

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If we get to choose between Ahsoka or Chewbacca having been killed offscreen by a planet, my vote is for planetary Wookicide.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Yes Chorus, we all know you're an Ahsoka hater....:rolleyes:

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    We were discussing the "importance' of one possible EU scenario over another. I understand your placing Ahsoka in nearly equal importance with the "Big 8". Well... actually... I cannot fathom it, but the point remains...

17. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Here we go the Marvel way. So much for the mythic and unique Star Wars universe who will be reduced to that standard. Disney does not even bother to wait for the Episode 7,8 and 9 to be released, they'll sift the money out of it right away with all kind of spin-offs. I am very skeptical about all this. Obviously I like Star Wars films, but one movie a year is too much. Quality will be lost in the process, this is inevitable. I am afraid this does not bode well for the futur of Star Wars. It sort of eliminate all the mythic side of it, all the special 'tenure' the Star Wars universe and it's fans enjoyed. It is reduced to a standard of money-making. We flood the audience with as much film as possible because they pay for it and when they won't then we will stop for a while.

I begin to think that Disney does not really understand what Star Wars means for the fans and the status it has build over the years as a franchise. Star Wars under Lucas hasn't fallen into this trap of overconsomption of film making. It didn't go the Marvel way.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is kinda similar to the announcement back in '08 that Activision would release a James Bond game every year. That didn't really go as planned since QoS underperformed.

19. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Maybe but I think it's fair to say that Disney has the means and ressources to go as planned. They did it with Marvel so I don't see why they can't do it with SW if they want to. But as I said it might also reflect on the quality of some of these films. That's the mentality with which they approach the Star Wars universe and I personally believe that it is not a good one for this franchise.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I agree about the mythic aura of the films likely being lost, but I was thinking this as soon as Abrams was announced as director. Or heck, as soon as Lucas announced his decision to sell. I'm not complaining too much, though. I don't do superhero films, so the ongoing new film in the same universe a year concept will be new to me. Worst case scenario Star Wars turns into a fun but empty throwaway to tide me over until the next Cameron or Wachowski spectacle. And there's always hope that Disney sneaks in something like the Underworld concept in between the standard Abrams-style fare.

21. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    My initial thought was similar to this, but the more I think about it the more I am ok with it. I am a pretty big comic fan and there are movies that I love from DC and Marvel, some OK ones, and some bad ones. The thing that makes comic book movies so cool these days is that you can take or leave them but the big ones (like The Avengers) are still the big draw. I never saw The Incredible Hulk again after the first viewing, but seeing him kick ass in The Avengers was a blast. It didn't ruin the character that I didn't like his standalone film.

As much as I treasure Star Wars I will only get REALLY EXCITED about the numbered entries, just as I always have. Just as there are those who only view Star Wars as the OT, the cool thing about such a big Universe is the possibilities it presents. You don't have to like everything, nor should you. As long as they know the Episodes are sacred and treat them as such moving forward, I consider the standalones nice distractions while I wait for the main course at this point.

22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Finally I don't feel so alone on TFN. This is how I feel about the whole deal (well except I'm not a fan of Cameron or Wachowski). I also never felt "right" about the buyout from the start and all the recent cutbacks and cancellations didn't help my "feel good feeling" either. I too am not a comic book hero movie fan. I mean 1989 Batman was awesome. I was cool with the "first" Spiderman. I'll even give it up for X-men one and two. And probably the last comic book movie that really had me was Ironman. Now granted I named a LOT of comic book movies, but since 1989, there has been at least a 100, and that is over saturation.

Again I say "quantity" is not "quality". Just because there is a million comic book movies doesn't make them great, or MEMORABLE. Seriously, without google or IMDB, name the last comicbook block buster two years ago? Or three? Or 10? You can't. Why? Because they are NOT memorable..

Whether you hate the PT or not, you can remember EVERY SW film and what year it came out. You can probably describe in detail the anticipation, the camping out (if you did that) when you saw it. 77, 80, 83, 99 ,02, 05 (08 for TCW fans). That was off the top of my head. If you asked me what year and what was going on when I saw a comic book movie, I couldn't tell you without looking it up.

SW is on a HIGHER level then just a comic book movie. SW has been ingrained in our society, our pop culture. Go any where in the world and say in a deep voice "I AM YOUR FATHER" and EVERYONE knows what you are talking about. Talk backwards and you'll be called Yoda. You mention a line from Spiderman 2, and only another hard core nerd will know what the hell you are talking about.

Disney has a tall order to make future Star Wars films have that type of impact. The Marvel series hasn't. Hell Disney's OWN movies haven't had that kind of impact. Don't get me wrong, they can have an artistic German filmmaker film a rotting animal corpse for 2 hours, slap the name Star Wars on it and it will make millions, but it won;t have lasting appeal.

Long story short is Disney is guaranteed to make $$$$$$$$ with the Star Wars name, but it's not just about the money, it's will they make an lasting impressions with the films? I don't think so..

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I wonder if this means JJ is directing the entire the entire trilogy.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I wonder if they'll make a Han Solo trilogy?

25. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Really? I'm thinking that he'll do the Jackson thing and continuously film through the whole trilogy. I don't know how they turn directors around in such short time. I don't work in the movies, so I'm just guessing.