main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info New movie every summer beginning 2015 confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Or, instead of making one tight film, make a whole trilogy. Is there enough back story?

2. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I was thinking the Obi-Wan film, because the casting is quicker. The films in just two years, 2015. Who's directing that??? Cool thought of a Yoda standalone!!!

What was Yoda like as a young being? I had the thought that he was almost human, and got very, very old.

3. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I wish it was on May 25th, like they've always released them (or close to that date).

4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I understand, but it certainly beats NO more SW movies, like GL was saying.

5. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Too much over-reaction to this. It is not overexposure and it is not milking the franchise. As many have said, Marvel puts out at least 2 films a year and everyone loves them. Heck, the Marvel Cinematic Universe itself puts out at least one film a year, which this idea for Star Wars seems to be based on.

I am very excited for new Star Wars films, one a year is just great news. They will be quality as well. J.J. Abrams, Michael Arndt, Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg. These aren't talentless hacks like Michael Bay or Uwe Boll. Kinberg is the only one who is questionable, at least for me, but he is fan, so that helps.

Ryus likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't know. There's a lot of talent out there, who could make a lot of great films. They need to choose the right Directors. Nolan, Jackson, Scott, Bird...get the good ones. Writers, too. Make sure, ABOVE ALL ELSE, the writing is FANTASTIC, and they will be great films!

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The key is writing. Make sure the writing is FANTASTIC.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    "I'm out of it for a little while and people start getting delusions of grandeur"

This is nothing compared to Marvel. This is one film a year through, 6 films through 2021. Episode VII in 2015, Spinoff I in 2016, Episode VIII in 2017, Spinoff II in 2018, Episode IX in 2019, Spinoff in 2020 This is more like LOTR, Peter Jackson films his movies and releases them once per year. I didn't see a drop in quality at all from that.. did you? No? Remember people, technology does advance beyond 2004. People forget that Episode III, for example, was filmed entirely by the end of 2003 and that it took until 2005 to finish the CGI. Fast forward nearly a decade years later, and people still think it takes the same amount of time to do that.. really?

Stop being sensational people and calm down.

Ryus likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Seriously, though, even if they vary wildly in quality, who cares? It's Star Wars! Every year! Assuming they actually go in-depth into the universe, it's as big as Marvel at least so you can lots of different types of movies. Not just copy & paste template over and over, do anything and everything.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Disney won't cheapen it. They bought it for $4 Billion, they want to recoup ASAP. They don't want to downgrade this asset. The evidence for this is the fact that they hired Arndt, Abrams, Kasdan...under Kathleen Kennedy and GL as creative consultant. I think there telling fans that they want to make quality.

And it's quite possible, in Disney's hand, they want to give the fans what they want, which I don't think GL was always concerned with, especially in the PT. All the better for SW fans!

Ryus likes this.
  11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    One of my worst fears regarding the upcoming movies would be Disney deciding to use the Sith as villains in all of them or at least most of them.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems a bit like overkill to me.

I would hate to see the ST churned out quickly and then suck, the PT caused enough fan disagreement as it is.

I don't mind if we get regular spin-offs, some of those are always going to be stinkers.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You've got until the 2020s to think about it. :)

14. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    I don't understand the 'overkill' argument. It's only a 2-hour movie once a year. That's nothing. How is that overkill?

A TV series typically pumps out 20+ episodes a season, but I've never heard anyone say that it's overkill to have new episodes every week.

Personally, I'd rather have a live action SW series for 6-years over movies. 120 hours of SW -vs- a paltry 12. No contest.

Ryus and kubricklynch like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't mind the idea of the spinoffs-as long as they give them as much attention to quality as the Episodes-and as long as they're not animated...

I kind of treat the spinoffs the same as if I were to read an EU book in between episode releases. If I enjoy it, great. If not, then I will not put too much stock in it.

I'm sure they'll give the ST all they've got, and that's enough for me.

16. Darth Swede

Darth Swede Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm not sure about the Marvel analogy. I don't go to the cinema thinking "Let's see another Marvel movie", I go to see (another) Spider Man or Hulk movie. So I do see the risk of over-exposure. That said, I agree that the important issue is quality, and that the line-up looks good so far. Maybe a better analogy is the Lord of the Ring movies. They came out every year, and I was looking forward to every one of them. Hope this will be the same!

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    SW is neither Marvel nor Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit, but the comparison is apt enough to make me think that this will not dilute the franchise or be overkill. As I've stated before, I've come around to not worrying about this; until recently I did in fact worry about the overkill aspect, but I no longer think the risk of that happening is very great as long as they do this right. I do hope, however, that all of the movies they make (ST episodes and spin-offs) get full attention and proper treatment; if they're going to do them, they need to do them right.

I also think I've come to the position that if the movies are coming out yearly, maybe I would prefer it if they didn't do any TV shows, whether live action or animated. I'm fine with the cancellation of TCW at this point, and instead of replacing it with another TV show it would probably be better to just put all focus on making movies. That would also reduce the chances of burnout among most fans and casual viewers; most people will probably come around to embracing yearly SW movies, but a TV show or shows on top of that may be too much.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Fly, you fools" = "Run, Luke, run"

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Ryus, eht13 and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Another note: speed and deadlines do not mean the movie will be bad, franchise flick installments churned out underneath a deadline gun were Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Aliens & X-Men: First Class. Those turned out okay, y'know?

Ryus likes this.
  20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    To be fair, so long as creating the new TV series doesn't divert resources away from the films, I don't see how it would affect the quality of the new trilogy. Disney is a megacorporation, after all, so they have the personnel and resources necessary to give all of the upcoming products the necessary attention. I am sure they will put the films first and foremost in their priorities; you can count on that.

Regarding your argument of burnout, I don't really know if this would really be the case. Unless Disney over-promotes the new show to the point of shoving it down our throats, I can see that many of the more casual fans might ignore it or give it a mere cursory glance. As a fan, you can choose whether or not you want to watch or purchase new SW material outside of the films. This applies to the novels and comics as well. I'm sure the new animated series is intended to attract mainly diehard fans and draw in a few new fans, particularly those in the younger generations. That was the original intended audience for TCW anyways, and they later made more mature episodes to attract the older fans. I'm all for having this new series concurrently with the ST, since it's meant to draw in more fans anyway. I am sure truly passionate fans of the series won't mind more SW material year in and year out, as evidenced by the responses of many on this board.

Also, another point I'd like to make regarding the new series compared to TCW. What turned many fans off about TCW was the many contradictions to existing EU that were brought up as a result of the desire for preserving the expansive scope inherent in any Star Wars media, and perhaps Lucas' own decision not to be saddled by the restriction of having to work around existing C-canon material. The greatest evidence of this is the very existence of Ahsoka Tano, never mentioned once in the films or the EU prior to the TCW film coming out in 2008. By retroactively trying to fit in a major character within a relatively brief (3-year) time period that has been tread over extensively in EU works since 2002, the TCW crew doomed itself to criticism and derision from many of those fans who wished to see the EU kept intact.

I do not think this new TV series will suffer from the same amount of disdain, for the mere fact that it's most likely going to fill in the gaps before the ST (and/or perhaps between each installment, we'll see). We will probably get to see more of the GFFA within the time period of the ST, filling in potential plot holes and leaving movie fans itching for more. Of course, the TV show and the films themselves may (I almost want to say will) trample over existing post-RotJ EU anyways, but at least you can be certain that the series will be consistent with the ST (something TCW didn't always do regarding the PT with the introduction of Ahsoka and the "resurrection" of Darth Maul).

Now, if the new animated series covers a period prior to the OT, then I retract my last statement, but it still stands that a Dark Times or pre-PT era TV series has the potential for many new and previously unseen stories that will only serve to draw in more fans rather than turning them off. Just my opinion, anyway.

eht13 likes this.
  21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Well, let's see - Avengers was last year, which means two years ago we were being treated to Iron Man 2 (not that great,) but Thor and Captain America were surprisingly entertaining. Let's not forget The Dark Knight - oh man, that was AWESOME. (NOT TDKR, which sucked, btw.) That was probably three or four years ago though - I'm not quite sure. Ten years ago we were getting the first Spiderman movie, which tons of people loved. We also got Superman Returns, which not many people loved. We got X-Men about that time as well. I can do it, easy, and I am NOT a huge comic book fan. (I am somewhat of a fan, but I own MAYBE twelve Marvel comics, and no DC.) I can name quite a few other gems that fit somewhere else into your timeline. (X-Men: First Class, I thought, was one of the best and most underrated comic book movie offerings ever.) There were a number of duds as well. Do their poor quality take away from the enjoyment I still get out of those movies I chose to add to my collection? Absolutely not.

Now, this same guy with maybe a dozen Marvel comics has over 200 Star Wars action figures in his room, a Star Wars themed desktop, tons of Star Wars merchandise, and a handful of higher ticket Star Wars offerings (I could probably hock my collection for upwards of 10K on the bay,) and I just don't get how you could be worried about oversaturation. I don't read the books. They suck. However, they DON'T take away the enjoyment I get from TCW, which I enjoy. I enjoy some of the games and some of the comics. So far, I've loved ALL of the movies. So, say they add six more movies by 2020. I love two, enjoy two, and hate two. How, oh how, can that possibly be a bad thing? Star Wars is already ubiquitous. Ask a Firefly fan if they'd like to complain about oversaturation, then we can talk. I just don't see why people think that every Star Wars needs to be an out of the park box office smash. I mean, there are only six movies now, and while I'm not one of them, I bet you may be able to find a person or two around here who have some pretty not-nice things to say about one of those six. I bet you those people still love the crap out of other Star Wars offerings.

22. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I care. I don't want quantity over quality. Less is more. The sanctity of Star Wars already took a bit of a hit with the prequels. If you release too much material, you risk over-saturating it. Before you know it, maybe 10 years from now... there's 15 Star Wars movies and all of a sudden Star Wars isn't so special anymore. Right now it's arguably the most profound American myth that's ever been put to film. I don't want a Boba Fett movie or a Yoda movie. Keep bastardizing it and it becomes just a really popular film series, like James Bond. I'm not saying I don't want any more Star Wars movies but most of all, the sanctity of it must be preserved.

If it were up to me? No spin offs. No side storys. It's time to move past these characters. Star Wars is mythology, like the books of the bible. Keep the story going every three years or for as long as you can. Imagine having an ongoing story told over 20 movies. It can span generations. It could span eons even. I wanna see movies that take place hundreds of years after Return Of The Jedi. I wanna see new heroes emerge. I wanna see new legends unfold. To me that would be amazing. But don't just churn them out every year. Make people anticipate it.

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It reminds me of how Star Wars had its roots based around film serials. Except once the epic scope was fully realized, the films took a little longer to make. But quality aside, having a killer movie to look forward to each summer does not sound bad to me.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You're joking about Ahsoka, right? If you add up the screen time of every appearance Tano's made over five seasons of TCW and the TCW feature film (in which she had a co-starring role), she's certainly had more screen time.

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    This should give you an idea of just how much work is involved in pre-production. I would be very pleasantly surprised if Episode VII is released in 2015 but surprised nonetheless.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.