main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I actually don't know about her, she's someone I work with a lot but don't know her well enough to have her number or anything. But they've said none of the runners were severely hurt by the blasts. I go to work tomorrow so I'm hoping if she's not there, someone knows.

J_L- Yeah, I don't think they're going to get that badge just yet. 8-}

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    This week has sucked. My stepdad had his appendix out on Monday, they were prepping him for surgery when the Boston thing happened. And we just found out that my aunt, who is only 47, has lung cancer, liver cancer, colon cancer, and they think brain cancer. She has a tumour the size of a pingpong ball in her brain. She's been in the neuro ICU since Monday night, after she had a seizure in the car.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That really does suck. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I want to exchange this year for a new one. This one is defective.

TrakNar and Briannakin like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope your year gets better, Dantana. I know a few people that would like to exchange this year for a new one.

Jl, as a person with an obvious disability (moderate cerebral palsy), your story made me laugh.

I did my taxes today. Now I want a new brain. I'm SOOOO glad I waited till after exams. And tomorrow I have an dentist appointment. Bah.

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I did my taxes back on April 12, sent it in electronically, and now when i try to get info to see if they got it, it says it can't give info until 24 hours have passed... o_O I think the IRS people are on some sort of drugs.

I found this on FB... this is absolutely hilarious! Harrison Ford 'flips out!'

Iverna likes this.
  7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I worked Tax Day, 1:30-10, and for the last two years, the Post Office has been great. They have given us extensive lists of resources to help people who are doing them last-minute. It's how I was able to have a lady file taxes in Maine at 11 o'clock at night after her dad had an eventually fatal heart attack.

This year, they had NOTHING. The occasional listing would say "Tax Day: No, we're not going to stay late." So, for 8.5 hours, I had people telling me they could drive out of state if someone in Texas could be open late enough. There was one office in Chicago that was great. At 9 p.m., they got us a few offices in Los Angeles. The managers brought us cookies and candy to show appreciation for the crap we had to put up with that day.

And then, in the middle of it, the whole bombing thing. I remember the last time I had to work on my birthday. It was the day before Thanksgiving. 3 hours into my shift, I found out that my grandfather was being taken to the hospital. Later that day, I found out he had terminal prostate and lung cancer. I was very, very close to my grandfather, so I spent the rest of the day sobbing between calls and I couldn't get off of work.

Tax Day wasn't that bad. I found out about the bombings about 3:30. I knew fairly soon that most of my friends and family had checked in as okay. But I'm so at home in Boston that I can tell you three boyfriends who took me to that neighborhood on our first dates. I passed through there every weekend of the school year because I was a violinist and violist at New England Conservatory's youth division. I got my 8th grade graduation dress at the Lord and Taylor that they keep referencing. It hit way too close to home and I couldn't stop shaking until the next morning.

Since Monday, people who are my friends have been very good to me. People who are just now finding out that I'm from Boston just don't know what to say.

I keep talking about how where I'm going to settle down once I'm qualified to be a librarian is either Philadelphia or Boston. I think I gave up on not going back to Boston this week.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My tax day wasn't good. No refund check this year. We had to write a $6000 check to the IRS because Hubby decided he didn't need that IRA now that he is retired from the Army. I don't know if he knew he would have to pay a huge penalty to the IRS or not...but we did.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Blahhhh. My mom and stepdad did their taxes this evening. I went with because I needed to run to the grocery store. It wasn't worth it.

But I got my marks for this semester :) I got A-'s in all my courses.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I had a nice tax day...about a week and a half prior to that day, actually. This past Tuesday and Wednesday I got nice checks from the Feds and the state, respectively...

...now to find something to spend it on.

Briannakin:
    Grats on your As!

11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    My Tax Day involved the IE explorer crashing a lot when I went to look up something at Legacy, so I couldn't avoid the Breaking News bulletin at MSN, as the one time I changed the homepage for that specific computer, the Google Virus Attack of 2010 happened. o_O

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I had another dizzy spell today. What is weird is I was in the same exact place as I was when it happened last month...Wal-Mart. It may be a big coincidence, but I am wondering if I am allergic to something in the store.

The wind is crazy strong today. I was in the parking lot of the library and when I went to open the door the wind ripped the door open fully. Luckily I missed the car next to me by an inch.

So, I am sitting in the library and two little old ladies are doing genealogy research on the Hooker family. So they are saying, "I found three Hookers in the census. Here you can see the senior Hooker and the Hooker's children." I just thought it sounded funny.

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Jedi_Lover: You seem to have an...interesting life. ;) I'd suggest that in future you avoid Mall*Wart altogether to avoid dizziness (and Wal Martians).

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. Hooker is one of those last names no one wants. There's a famous Canadian comedian who's last name is Butt.

Also, Wal-Mart has serious health effects on people, I swear. My step-grandfather had his stroke after being in one.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    How are our fanfic writers from Boston doing? I cannot imagine one million people in lock down. It is surreal. I hope everybody is well.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Being in lockdown all day was interesting, we pretty much just stayed glued to the news.
    I live in the town beside where they were doing the intense searches and ultimately found him (I live around 4 miles away). I was supposed to go to work today, went to the T (public transit trains/subway)at my normal time and waited 20 minutes before I googled MBTA and found out it was completely shut down but not knowing why. I walk back home and one of my roommates tells me we are locked down that they had already killed someone been throwing bombs and car jacked someone else. Meanwhile, there are cops blazing up and down the main road near my house.
    So I call into work and they give me a complete guilt trip when I said I didn't feel comfortable driving out of my town that was in lockdown and through at least 2 others that were also locked down or to the town they were pretty sure he was in. I ended not going, but I have felt guilty about it all day.

You usually watch these kinds of things and it's just some random place you've never seen but to have it be in an area you drive though all the time was a little... weird.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am glad you are okay mavjade. I am glad that they are caught. I was confident that the Boston police would catch them. I was amazed at the police response. They did a great job.

The victims are in my prayers.

18. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    Ya, Watertown looked like it was under martial law. My sister goes to UMASS Dartmouth, and had to be evacuated. She took about 5 other students with her to the Cape and stayed at friend's place. If anything, the beach helped them relax from the mania (and their senior projects; which are some massive art and furniture displays). I wasn't in the the towns on lockdown, but close enough to be paranoid. I was scanning license plates for the wanted numbers when I went out for a walk, I couldn't help it!

And it's funny; when I think of Watertown, all I think of is the horrible high school soccer team they have when I played them. But their field hockey team made state, I think, so I guess things balance out ;).

Today I was glued to the news. I'm glad it's relatively over, but I'm still praying for someone in the hospital who isn't out of the woods, yet.

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I bet it did!8-}
    Just beside my house is a huge parking lot that is always filled from the hours of 8 am to 8 pm. It being completely empty and all the sirens going so frequently was so eerie, I can't imagine seeing all the swat teams and cops. (The swat team at my work the day before was creepy enough.)

I hope your friend recovers; I've been thinking about and sending positive thoughts to everyone that was injured and their families. I've seen a few patients that were involved but haven't recently worked in any of the units in my hospital where the most critical are.

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I hope your friend or family member recovers quickly. [face_praying]

Krayt-Eagle likes this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Krayt-Eagle [:D]

Krayt-Eagle likes this.
  22. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    The person/people I'm praying for is the family of a professional soccer athlete that I grew up watching as a kid. He's my hero, my idol. He embodied everything I wanted to be. He still plays (goalkeeper, like me :) ). His family was at the finish line when they decided to take a picture; everyone but his father-in-law went with them. His father-in-law was caught in the blast. It just shakes me a bit; people like that, you just don't expect them to be vulnerable. And his eight year old was there to witness it all. He's still on a vent, is fighting infection, and has his 4th surgery tomorrow.

It hasn't really hit me, 'til just now, I think. My sis and her boyfriend are home now; she went to UMASS Dartmouth (where suspect #2 was a student) and he was in lockdown in the Boston suburbs. Hearing and exchanging stories? It was rather unsettling, starting to realize how close this all was to everyone. Turns out the college evac was badly coordinated. But, honestly, what campus prepares for this? To get people out of the suspects dorm, they set off the fire alarm. You can only imagine they were then searching the place. My sister was unsettled by the news, so she decided to pack, just in case. It started with classes are cancelled, then campus is closed, followed by "Suspect Was A UMD Student, Mandatory Evacuation" and my sister was out the door. She was lucky; students didn't know it was a overnight evacuation, they thought it would be a few hours. All they had were the clothes on their backs. Some didn't have rides, some had no where to go. There were buses. Later. My sister and her classmates met at where they do their art and fabrics.

"Where's Henry?" the professor asked.

He wasn't there. They called him. He had to leave the campus, so he ran to Target. (btw, UMD is a huge campus)

I should add that Henry is a foreign exchange student. The teacher went to pick him up.

And my sister's good friend in the class said, in tears, "Colleen! Wherever you are going, I'm going with you! I just have to take my friend, and her two friends."

Her two friends were also foreign exchange students. One from Brazil, and one from New Jersey (That's how she answered me before I gave her a strange look, but I don't remember where the foreign person from New Jersey is originally from).

Uh, it was just chaos, chaos, chaos... talking about it helps. I think it's settling, for better or worse. It's funny that the last few weeks, North Korea was a big worry. This week? Not even on the radar.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Harrison Ford and Chewie back together...sort of. This is a great interview.

bellum stellarum and Iverna like this.
  24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I know someone whose knees go out every time she walks around a Walmart, so I believe it. (That, and my grandmother refuses to go into a specific Walmart because every time she goes there, something bad happens on the same day.)

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I get various intestinal issues when I visit Wal-Mart. 9/10 times, I get the runs within 20 minutes of walking in. TMI, I know. :p

DarthIshtar and I went to Mimi's Cafe on Saturday, and it was a disaster. I ordered the Cajun Chicken Alfredo, which comes with chicken, pork loin, and chicken andouille sausage. Except mine arrived with only the chicken. So I sent it back, it comes back to me minus the pork loin because they're out. So I figure, fine, whatever. I start eating, and something hard makes me start gagging, and I barely get it spit out before I start choking. It was a huge chunk of bone! Horrible. So they comped my meal and gave me a free muffin, which I joked to Ish was the least they could do after attempted murder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.