main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Imagining a 'Clone Wars' trilogy set between II and III

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ANAKINSKYWEEZER, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Clone Wars I: Veil of the Shroud:

Focus on the jedi struggling in their roles and positions in this newly forming war. I do not want to just turn the cartoons and other sources into 3 live-action films. I would re-edit some of the stories and events to fit whatever I felt like was the better story.

I want the first film to start were the Attack of the Clones stopped at because I feel like they did not talk a lot about whether or not the jedi really want to fight in the war or not.

I want to see struggle and debate in the jedi council and other jedi. I want to see differing point of views on what the jedi should do as the war first begins. I want to see some jedi disobey the jedi council or leave the jedi order. Three 2 hour films means only 6 hours. So, good luck with the film editors. Like what do you edit out of the films? I want them to show the fall of jedi Krell who had four light sabers with his four arms. I may not let him die like he did in TCW.

These 3 or more hypothetical live-action films would have the original PT cast in them and others playing the new characters.

I want to go back and forth through certain story lines and character developments throughout the 3 or more Clone Wars films.

Show the fall of Anakin and show show him with Sidious and others as often as you can. I would try to spend as much time as I can with the 3 or more films being mostly about him. I would try to make him look like he does in the 5 seasons of TCW, as a hero, and not simply just as a struggling kid as seen in the PT.

Yoda and others have to be trying to find Sidious. They don't know his name yet but they know that the sith are out there somewhere and we got to see the jedi struggling to figure out these things.

We may want to see Ahsoka train the younglings a little. I would film it but then I may have to edit it out in post-production of the films.

The film would begin with Anakin questioning the council, "Windu, I thought we were peace keepers, not soldiers. Why are we fighting?" Then have him storm off mad as the council make awkward faces at each other. Then cut to the Walking Dead introduction song. I am kidding about the Walking Dead part, but I said it to make a point that the film should begin with something extremely disturbing or shocking or something.

In order to calm down and distract Anakin, they give him Ahsoka as an apprentice. I get this idea from the fact that in the last episode of TCW, they try calming down and distracting Ahsoka by allowing her to come back to the order and promoting her to knighthood. I would also show that in the films too somewhere. I guess they have to knight Anakin first and then give him Ahsoka.

These films could spend a bunch of time with just Anakin and Ahsoka, and every once in a while Anakin and Kenobi.... and sometimes a threesome....

Inter-Quels: or interludes:

These films may fall more into the category of spin-off films, that is if it becomes too off-based with the main story line of the 6 canon films of Star Wars. These films can be considered as inter-quels (instead of prequels or sequels, meaning in between episodes) if they can spend most their time focusing on Anakin and maybe a little bit of time on a few other things too. There might not be enough time to talk about the formation of the Rebel Alliance here maybe in these interludes or interquels. Or the formation or back-story of Grevious.

Clone Wars I: Veil of the Shroud:

Anakin is knighted and given Ahsoka to train.

Yoda, Kenobi, & Windu try to figure out where the sith are and about why is there a clone army, really.

The jedi council and other jedi struggle with their roles in being generals/soldiers in this war and/or being peace keepers too.

Anakin & Sidious dialog and interaction to show Anakin struggling more.

Anakin fighting Ventress. Maybe get Maul into this first film. I am not sure if these films should just be non-stop fighting. But at the same time, you don't want them to just be about Anakin having a monologue about his struggles.

Maul kills the Girl Friend of Kenobi. Show these conflicts. Show the part where Anakin thought Kenobi was dead but then finds out the council did that behind his back adding more distrust in Anakin.

Clone Wars II: Darkness Awakens:

Have Yoda fight Sidious. But have Yoda not know that Sidious is Palpatine. Or do something exciting.

Ahsoka is framed and Banished from the order. I want to see this arch in these live-action films.

That is where the TCW ends so far. I would show this part in the 2nd film and then make up stuff for the 3rd film.

I do want to get some pirates in here.

Please show Kenobi fighting Maul and struggling because Maul killed his master.

Show Maul crazy at first. Show the night sisters and Talzin and the brother of Maul.

There might not be enough time for Jabba the Hutt and some of the less exciting TCW archs to be in the films.

There might not be time to have any of R2D2, C3PO or maybe even Padme.

Do show the Clone Troopers killing jedi sometimes because I think I saw a preview of season 6 of TCW where a Clone Trooper kills a jedi. Because I think Sidious starts doing manual individual Order 66 assassinations of the jedi. Show that. Show how people begin to hate the jedi. Show jedi killing other jedi. Yoda says many things are clouded by the dark side. Show the clouds and the struggles and the conflicts in these films.

If they cannot make live action films of these then just make animated versions of these films and release them in the big screen. That is what Disney should do. I would watch 12 animated films just about the Clone Wars alone. To me, that is the most interesting part of the Star Wars universe because at that point of the story, anything can happen. During the Clone Wars, Sidious may win or the jedi may win. Well, Sidious does end up winning, but hypothetically anybody could have won. At any time, Sidious could have been caught.

Show Sidious almost getting caught in these films.

Show Anakin hating Maul and fighting Maul with Kenobi and Ahsoka.

Show them on that secret planet with the Father, Son, and Daughter where Anakin sees his future..... but I am not sure if the film should show Anakin learning about Vader or not..... because isn't that suppose to be a surprise for first time viewers?

I do want to see Dooku fighting people......

Clone Wars III: Destruction:

Do show Maul taking over that one planet that he does in TCW.

The end of the film can have them kidnapping Palpatine (Sidious).

Maybe show some more Grevious and Dooku.

Ahsoka falls to the dark side. Kenobi kills Ahsoka in front of Anakin.

This adds tension between Kenobi and Anakin.

Anakin really wanted to save Ahsoka but Kenobi kind of did what he had to do.

Then Anakin kills Maul and Ventress and Krell at the same time out of pure dark side rage.

Or have Anakin kill some of these people or other like bad people in each of the films.

Have some crazy duels at the end of each of the films like they did in the Karate Kid films.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Original Oatmeal
    While I appreciate your effort, I don't think they should further disregard the extensive Clone Wars-era EU that already exists in a hypothetical TCW inter-quel set of films. One reason that so many people dislike TCW is because it tended to overwrite large swathes of existing EU, or at the very least squeeze a large number of events into a smaller time period, i.e. Anakin's pre-knighting adventures during the early part of the war prior to getting Ahsoka as his Padawan. Tarkas already did a good job of putting the story of three films together just using footage from TCW (and nothing more outside of minor transitions between events). That should be sufficient to tell the story of the heroism of Anakin Skywalker during the war.

No need to further muddle things by adding more crazy stories like Yoda confronting Sidious prior to RotS or Obi-Wan killing a Dark Side-turned Ahsoka. That is something that I find difficult for Anakin to get over, and thus can't be reconciled with his demeanor toward Kenobi during the early part of RotS.

While adding Maul would be a fun little diversion, particularly since those episodes with him were some of the best TCW has offered to date (IMO), it would sadly be largely irrelevant to the greater story of Anakin Skywalker and I doubt it can be convincingly fit into the 3-movie format necessary to tell the tell of the rise and fall of Anakin (the Maul arcs focus much more on Obi-Wan and Maul's scheme of sowing chaos in the Outer Rim). Thus, I don't see how Maul's story can be told here, as the only real relevance it has to RotS was to explain how Sidious realized that Anakin could be saved after being maimed and severely burned on Mustafar after the latter's duel with Obi-Wan.

Forgive me, but I laughed at this. I get your meaning, but people can easily take this the wrong way, and it's not a pretty picture...

In Labyrinth of Evil, the Jedi come rather close to discovering the identity of Darth Sidious, forcing him to accelerate his plans to conclude the war by having Grievous launch the invasion of Coruscant to kidnap Chancellor Palpatine. I know many folks here would agree that an animated version of LoE (true to the novel as opposed to the microseries version) would be awesome. Indeed, I think that incorporating parts of LoE to the third film of a hypothetical inter-quel trilogy, specifically the invasion and General Grievous kicking ass, would be a great idea that can help to further strengthen the PT.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  3. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    Clone Wars 1 can be about the jedi getting a funny feeling about the Clone Troopers who kill jedi.

Clone Wars 2 can show jedi killing jedi.

Clone Wars 3 can show Palpatine being kidnapped.

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Probably not for all because I won't be editing them all down like that, but I will probably get around to ranting about it more sooner or later.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    ANAKINSKYWEEZER are you still around these parts? I'm back after being gone a little while and I'd like to pick up this conversation if you're still around. I'm about to do a watch-through of the first film in my TCW Trilogy: Cat & Mouse, The Hidden Enemy, The New Padawan, Landing at Point Rain, Weapons Factory, Legacy of Terror, and Brain Invaders. When I first planned this I was going to take out a lot of the Ahsoka/Barriss stuff in the S2 arc I used, but now with the way S5 ended it makes sense to leave everything in. Just gotta make sure there's some not-too-awkward way to transition between The New Padawan and Landing at Point Rain. And I'm still not 100% about using Padawan Lost to end Ep. I and Wookiee Hunt to start Ep. II.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Uhhh what?

7. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm still hanging in there...I'd love to see what you come up with!

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So another version of the Clone Wars? Oh joy. A live-action movie could be cool but enough already.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Cool. :cool:
    There are different ideas floating around this thread. Some people are just throwing out original ideas. I'm talking about making a trilogy of fan-edit films out of existing TCW episodes.

10. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I can't believe that I've only just found this thread. Some awesome ideas here. I've been doing exactly the same thing over the past few months.
    However, I've been unable to condense what I want into one trilogy, so I've adopted a 2 trilogy policy, especially with the bonus material highly likely to comprise at least one film on its own. The boundary between the trilogies will be the midpoint of season three where the main character models were updated.

My outlines so far:

Episode 1:
    Cat and mouse
    Hidden enemy - heavily edited to remove the "clone traitor" storyline, which doesn't sit well with me this early in the war - I may add it into the order 66 arc for episode 6.
    Cone wars Movie - I still haven't decided how much of this to edit out. Like others here, I'm contemplating removing the Jabba storyline.
    Geonosis Arc

Episode 2
    Bombad Jedi - Jar Jar heavily edited
    Cloak of Darkness
    Lair of Grievous - heavily edited so that is serves as an introduction of Grievous as an unknown entity (which will be referenced in the opening crawl)
    The Mandalore trilogy will be intercut with the above three episodes.
    Rising Malevolence
    Shadow of Malevolence
    Destroy Malevolence

Episode 3
    Downfall of a droid
    Clone cadets
    Duel of the Droids
    Holcocron Heist
    Cargo of Doom
    Children of the Force
    Rookies
    ARC Troopers

Even with three films there are still some episodes that I'd love to include, such as the Ryloth arc, Hostage Crisis, assassin and Defenders of Peace. I think there is enough material for 4 films just in the opening half.

I've actually started with episode 3, because I have a more finalised version of it in my mind. So far I have cut together the droid and clones arcs. I'm going to do a viewing tonight (when Final Cut Pro actually finishes rendering it) and then cut in the holocron hunters arc.

I've not even started to think about the second trilogy yet, because it is going to be heavily influenced by the bonus footage. The one thing I have been contemplating is how I can use the Mortice trilogy. I want it to have the feeling of being Anakin's Jedi Trial, however, for this to work I really need to edit Ahsoka out.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    smudger9 Cool! I'm really excited to have another person working on a project like this here on the boards. And it's especially cool that you're already working on editing yours together. I'm probably gonna have all my ideas finalized so I know exactly what I want before I go to actually edit everything together. For me, it's a long-term project. The only difference between what we're doing I think is that I'm only doing one trilogy to complete GL's pre-ESB idea that the set of prequels could follow a Prologue / Clone Wars Trilogy / Epilogue structure and you seem to be doing a series of Clone Wars trilogies. Can't wait to see and hear more about what you've got in mind, and maybe ANAKINSKYWEEZER will chime in too.

12. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I was going to get my ideas down on paper first too, but I decided to edit the episodes into scenes and then play around with them.
    Mine is also a long-term project, with a deadline of being finished by the time Rebels starts, although that depends heavily on when we get the bonus footage.

As well as editing the episodes into films, I'm also cutting a lot of stuff, such as battledroid slapstick and Ahsoka's early childish dialogue (Sky Guy etc).

I'll keep you updated as I go along. I've just watched my edited version of DOAD/DOTD/CC/R/AT and it's not too bad for a first cut. I'll then shelve episode 3 until I decide what other arc to add as the second act.

My next job is to edit the first Mandalore arc together, which shouldn't take too long. My only uncertainty is whether Anakin is going to be part of the arc or whether he will be elsewhere with Ahsoka.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    smudger9 Cool. Do you know how many trilogies you're gonna do? I'd really like to see how your Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous edit turns out. I didn't include any of those because they don't do much of anything for Anakin and Obi-Wan's story, but I love the second two episodes and would really like to see the first edited down to something tolerable so it fits with the rest. I usually just watch the CoD and LoG because I hate BB so much, having that introduction would be cool.

I think DOAD and DOTD are really taken for granted in terms of battle scenes - or at least I took them for granted that way. Every time I rewatch them I'm surprised how much action there is and how much that redeems how little I'm psyched for the plot.

Speaking of cutting stuff out for full effect, please check out my detailed minute-by-minute breakdown on the previous page of this thread of how I'm going to edit the S3 Citadel arc. I edit out all the stuff that makes Sobeck look impotent and think I do a pretty good job of making him a threatening villain with what I leave in.
    I also make it more focused on Anakin/Obi-Wan/Tarkin, and I edit it to make it look like Plo Koon really did go against Anakin and tell Ahsoka to go on the mission after Anakin told her not to which works perfectly not just to take the focus off Ahsoka but also because after the Citadel arc edit in that film of my Clone Wars Trilogy comes the S4 Rako Hardeen arc where the Anakin/Jedi Council intrigue ratchets up even more.

In addition to my Clone Wars Trilogy which focuses on Obi-Wan and Anakin and the evolving relationship between Anakin, the Jedi, and Palpatine, I'm also going to do a Dark Side Trilogy which is going to require a lot less editing and basically comprise all the Savage Opress/Darth Maul episodes and some other Ventress and Death Watch stuff so that those parts of the Savage/Maul story are given proper context. That's a more vague idea right now, but like I said, it won't require nearly as much editing. But I think of this more as a side-story than as part of the Star Wars saga proper.

14. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Man, I remember those days. A lot of people complaining about how Star Wars is being simplified for kids and a lot of apologist saying that it's the right thing to do.

Took a few years, but I think we've made a good choice liking the new show.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    ANAKINSKYWEEZER and anyone else interested:

I recently wrote down my second-by-second edit of The Mandalore Plot to see how short I could get it and I got it down to 12 minutes. I decided to put The Mandalore Plot in between the Christophsis Trilogy and the Geonosis Trilogy for the first film of my Clone Wars Trilogy, Episode I: Brothers on the Battlefront. The New Padawan ends with Anakin and Ahsoka departing together and then Obi-Wan departing alone in a Jedi Starfighter. My edit of The Mandalore Plot begins with Obi-Wan in the very same ship landing on Mandalore. There's some Jedi/Mandalorian history and Obi-Wan fights Death Watch (as little as necessary of everything else is left in just to make sure it all still makes sense and isn't jumping around too much). Then Landing at Point Rain begins with Obi-Wan on the bridge of a ship with Ki Adi Mundi and then Anakin and Ahsoka come back into the story together, talking about where they've been recently. It should all work pretty smoothly.

Soon I'll be posting the edit of the film, which will include the second-by-second breakdown of The Mandalore Plot along with everything else (I decided to edit down The Hidden Enemy's clone-only parts considerably, making time-room in the film for TMP without making it outlandlishly long).

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a feeling I'm gonna have to rethink some of this stuff after I see all "The Lost Missions" bonus content material, but I just came across a picture of GL's actual note plotting out a possible sequence for the Star Wars films that included the "Clone Wars Trilogy" among what was then planned to be a series of 12 films. From 1977 or 1978, courtesy of http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/completehistoryofthesequeltrilogy.html :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see at this point the original Star Wars film was pegged as "Episode Six" of 12 and the prequels were to be a set of five films, consisting of a prologue, a "Clone Wars Trilogy" (which would have been Episode II, Episode III, and Episode IV), and an epilogue.

I've said it in here before, but now you get to see it in GL's own handwriting! I confess to having drooled a bit.

Are you still around ANAKINSKYWEEZER ???

17. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

Feb 18, 2003
    Haha, I was just planning to bump this thread today before I saw your post! I am curious to see what you come up with once the Lost Missions are released. It looks like there's going to be a lot of juicy storylines worthy of inclusion in a fictitious Clone Wars film series.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    ANAKINSKYWEEZER it's really the only thing that sucks about getting more TCW. I had thought about this so much that I finally had settled on ideas I liked. I had three films, none much longer than any of the actual SW films, and I felt I had used all the perfect parts to fill holes in the PT and still had a good story arc in its own right. I think you're right based on the spoilers I've allowed myself to see which have been very few that there will be more major stuff in the PT-improvement/salvage category in "The Lost Missions" so I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do at this point.

19. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

Feb 18, 2003
    Dark Lord Tarkas, have you been reading any of the spoilers for the Lost Missions that have aired in Germany or are you waiting until they premiere here in the U.S. on Friday?

20. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I think would be interesting is if people could narrow down TCW series to 22 episodes, which would translate to a full season which in turn is a little over the runtime of three Star Wars movies (140 mins is a normal running time of a Prequel film, multiplied by 3 = 7 hours. 22 episodes at 20 mins each = a little over 7 hours)

So you'd have:
    PT = 3 movies totaling 7 hours
    TCW = 22 episodes totaling 7.3 hours
    OT = 3 movies totaling 6.5 hours

Here's my episode selection. I went the extra mile and broke the 22 episodes into three groupings which could translate to the equivalent of a SW Episode:

The New Padawan (first episode of The Clone Wars film)
    Clone Cadets
    Rookies
    Arc Troopers
    Overlords
    Altar of Mortis
    Ghosts of Mortis

The Citadel
    Counterattack
    Citadel Rescue
    Sabotage
    The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
    To Catch a Jedi
    The Wrong Jedi

The Unknown
    Conspiracy
    Fugitive
    Orders
    The Lost One
    Voices
    Destiny
    Sacrifice

I figure it covers Ahsoka's arc reasonably well. We see her introduced, see her visions on Mortis (which ties in with the final four episodes), Anakin getting buddy buddy with Tarkin, and we see her departure. Meanwhile, we also get a majority of the Domino Squad arc - I'd like to include Krell episodes, but I already maxed out my 22 episode limit. So the 22 episodes mainly focus on Ashoka, Domino Squad, and the Mortis events.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I've been doing everything I can to stay away from spoilers since they started airing and skipped the last few trailers as well. Though I still had a couple really minor/broad things spoiled, nothing detailed. But yeah I'm staying no spoilers all the way now.

Darth_Harmon are all the episodes in your third film from The Lost Missions? Please no spoilers if so!

22. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

Feb 18, 2003
  23. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    I would focus on the episodes with Anakin. The second focus would be on Kenobi. 3rd focus would be on Yoda. The 4th would be on Sidious. On one hand, you could have a trilogy focused on things that the prequels focused on and yet on the other hand you may want the trilogy focus on Ahsoka, Maul, Tarkins, or other unique things

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes I have seen them all and I am happy to report that I don't think they're going to change the trilogy I have planned out at all. The main point of this whole project for me is to fix the potrayal of Anakin Skywalker the PT completely botched. As much as I couldn't possibly love the Yoda/Whills arc more and the Order 66 arc does a great job of finally completely filling in another back story that the PT completely botched (referring to Darth Tyranus posing as Sifo-Dyas to get the clone army started more than Order 66 details), neither directly impacts Anakin Skywalker's personal story much at all.

The Clovis trilogy gets into his personal story, but I think those episodes are pretty bad. Frankly the romance between Anakin and Padme is one the absolute least interesting things to me about his life, and as poorly as it was portrayed in the PT, I honestly don't think it was portrayed much better here. To me it's much more important to show Anakin's relationship with the Jedi Council and also Obi-Wan Kenobi specifically. Also, Clovis trilogy shows Anakin getting angry for really stupid reasons which the PT already does heavily which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from, whereas the slavers arc and Rako Hardeen arc show him getting angry for much more understandable and nuanced if not completely justified reasons. In short, I want my trilogy to make Anakin more compelling which I don't think the Clovis arc does at all, and the episodes I picked actually do.

So this is perhaps a good time to start posting more about this again. Here's the basic structure:

Clone Wars Episode I: Brothers on the Battlefront

Cat & Mouse
    The Hidden Enemy (edited to follow Anakin and Obi-Wan the whole time, skipping the parts where it's all clones)
    The New Padawan (all scenes and dialogue where the kidnapping of Jabba's son is discussed edited out, can be done smoothly)
    The Mandalore Plot (severely edited down, details on the how and why of this coming soon)
    Landing at Point Rain
    Weapons Factory
    Legacy of Terror
    Brain Invaders

Clone Wars Episode II: A Brother Betrayed

The Zillo Beast
    The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    Citadel arc edit (approximately 40-min. fan-edit explained in a second-by-second breakdown already posted on page 2 of this thread)
    Deception
    Friends and Enemies
    The Box (most of this edited out, only including the Anakin/Yoda conversation and necessary transitions, est. 5 min.)
    Crisis on Naboo

Clone Wars Episode III: Faith in the Jedi

Kidnapped
    Slaves of the Republic
    Escape From Kadavo
    Overlords
    Sabotage
    The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
    To Catch a Jedi
    The Wrong Jed

New title for the second just came to me now and put a slight twist on your idea for the third. Last time I had Padawan Lost at the end of Ep. I and Wookiee Hunt at the beginning of Ep. II but I'm rethinking that now. I never wanted a cliffhanger between films as I've said previously, so I'd only do it if I could edit down enough to fit it all at the end of Ep. I, but even then I realized I'm cramming two stories where Ahsoka is lost and we see how the search for her impacts Anakin right next to each other which while nice for contrast probably doesn't have the smoothest story flow, so at this point even if I could edit it down to be short enough I probably wouldn't want to use it. What do you think about that?

Have you seen all the new episodes? What do you think about using them for a project like this?

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When we get that 3rd Clone Wars series we will have our CW trilogy.