main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    You've got a differnent view than me. Fans hate Caedus; fans hate the 'whiny' Jacen in the early books of NJO; fans hate Jacen for leaving; fans hate Jacen for living when Anakin didn't; fans hate Jacen for 'flow-walking', fans hate Jacen in the Swarm War....what points of his character DO fans like? The jokester? That character was unsustainable; nobody plays the fool forever, people grow up. What irks me the most is what they did to him later. I wanted to yell at everyone, 'See, you CAN question what life means and still be a hero.' They took that away; they couldn't stand a 'liberal' hero, so they killed him. Thanks for nothing.

2. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    Hello I'd like to join this FC, Jacen was a character I discovered through wookiepedia so I already knew he was going to go Darth but I liked all the parts of the character, the Sith who wants to bring order to the galaxy by force and the philosopher who was afraid of using violence and travelled the galaxy to learn different perspectives on the Force.

SiouxFan likes this.
  3. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I'd like to join as well :D I was Senator, back in the day. :p

I was absolutely heartbroken when he turns to the darkside, and mostly for some of the reasons SiouxFan touched on, in that they made him way more complex than a lot of the NJO Jedi, and then just tacked on a stereotypical story ending. I felt like it was a cope out... that and an overly convenient way to satiate the Vong prophecy (.. who even cared about that?!? You wasted a really good character!!!) =((

I loved the "whiny" Jacen because he wasn't the typical Jedi candidate; he wasn't suave, daring and reckless like his grandfather, Anakin, but he was still a good Jedi in other ways. He possessed intense compassion and empathy, as well as loyalty and love for those around him and for the Jedi cause. I could relate more to that... as much as we might want to be, not all of us are the brave stereotypical hero types, but we still have ways to contribute. I felt he was important because he represented that.

Then, Traitor, and whether you love or hate Jacen himself, you have to admit that that was an insanely awesome exploration of the Force as a concept. I thought they were going to use that to break open the way that readers, and the Jedi, thought about the Force and introduce some cool new concepts. In a way, they did, but in other ways, it seemed like they back-peddled.

4. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Welcome to the FC! Prepare to get hammered by everyone else on the boards.

5. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Haha, thanks, and that's okay. :D I still love Jacen Solo. He was my favourite when I first read the NJO books ten years ago, and well, Traitor was the only NJO book that I kept as an adult ;)

6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    You get hammered in a troll like fashion, you call me....... ;)

7. Prodigy_Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    With a name like JacensGirl I'm surprised you weren't a member already :p

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm unsure as to the reason why too.....although I need to go back and read through. [face_tee_hee]

9. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I lost my original copy, so I had to buy it again. Jacen was the only YJK person I could relate to when that series came out (15-odd years ago) and I've been a fan ever since.

10. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Yeah, same. I love animals and people underestimate me because I'm quiet :p I should finish reading Legacy of the Force... I gave up after Unseen Queen and found out the rest on the Wook.
    I'm wondering how they managed to turn even his NJO personality into a Sith :/

Also, I first registered here under this username when I was 15, thus the cheesiness :p

Prodigy_Knight likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You really should read Unseen Queen onwards, if only to see just how logical Jacen's fall is.

He doesn't do anything remotely mad until about Tempest, book 3 of LotF.

12. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    In contrast to Sinre, I've never seen the 'logical' side of Jacen's fall; although I do agree with his second comment. Trust me, you aren't really missing much by skipping LotF--only pain will it bring you.

I, too, have a huge love of animals, love to analyze, and I had a huge crush on my best friend when I was a teen--this is why I've always identified with Jacen Solo.

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Don't say that!! I'm half way through Bloodlines!! :p

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, a lot of people disagree with me and consider he was mad in Joiner King :p

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    See, I didnt read the Joiner stuff.....couldn't get my head around it!!

16. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    I just looked it up and my library only has LotF book 2, 5 and 8... and none of the Dark Nest books. Sigh. It will have to wait until I'm getting paychecks again. :p

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    :( Thats not good Jay! Mine are all on my iPad, my wonderful husband got them for me as a gift with the iPad 18 months ago...so when I finish one, I just open the next. Or I can go back and read anything as its the entire library on there. [face_love]

JacensGirl likes this.
  18. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Wow, that's so nice of him!

I'm kind of wishing I had kept my SW library. I had most of NJO, but I only kept Traitor and Unseen Queen. I actually think I donated them to the library. :p I also have the X-Wing series.

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I would NEVER part with my SW books, I will go to the grave clutching at them!! Then my kids will get rid of them! :p

JacensGirl likes this.
  20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Haven't read any of them in a while, but I think some of the seeds may have been laid in Joiner King. If not then, they were definitely, 100%, absolutely, inevitably laid by the time Swarm War came to a close. Then it all culminates in Betrayal when Lumiya seduces him into taking up the Sith banner.

21. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Ah okay, that might make sense. I might start by re-reading Unseen Queen, and then finding Joiner King.

22. Prodigy_Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    Do you guys think we'll get some hint of Jacen in the ST?

Everybody seems to agree that we'll see some version of Ben aka Luke will have a kid and some version of Jaina which would be awesome to have a female Jedi main character but I'd really like if it were some mention of a "Jacen" i.e the Solo's having twins although he'd be hard to bring in as he allready has a huge plotline in the EU see Darth Cadeus and I don't know if the ST has enough screen-time for that if Ben or Jaina is the MC.

23. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Yeah I couldn't see anything more than a very brief mention, assuming they even tried to stick to his long and complicated EU history.

24. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm hoping that they stick with Leia having twins and just swing a whole big wrecking ball through the whole damn storyline. There are very few people who are completely satisfied with anything past TUF anyway, so just burn it all down.

25. hexterah

hexterah Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2013
    Aww, I'm really glad to see this club still alive and kicking! I've been here, in and out, under the username -Tenel-Ka- for a number of years but I figured I'd start new with the new board. This is one of the first places I wanted to check when coming back and it's great to see everyone here - old and new members alike!