main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot holes in the OT that weren't plot holes until they made the PT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by KilroyMcFadden, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, if you look at what Rome did when it conquered new territories then a non-clone army makes sense. In Gaul, Germany, Britain etc. the Romans raised local legions and auxilia, and then sent them to other regions. This ensured that the young men who might become rebellious in the area being controlled were dealt with. It removes the pool of recruits of any potential rebellion.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Yeah, I changed my mind on that one

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Most of the time the Roman Army brought in Legions that had already served in the army and when they took over a certain area let the local leaders stay in a state of 'puppet' control. After a Roman force was betrayed by a local tribe of Germans and suffered a huge defeat they were a little more weary of using foreign troops. I know this changed towards the end of the Roman Empire though just because it borders were so vast they couldn't defend them.

4. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012
    It depended upon the area being taken over as to whether local rulers would be left in charge (and this was always an initial set-up - any client ruler was expected to hand over the reigns to the SPQR at some point), whether the area would be under military control, usually with the establishment of coloniae, or whether anh area would be incorporated under civic rule - municipium. What did hold, throughout conquered territories, was the establishment of locally raised legions which were then sent to other parts of the Empire. That is why you have Legio IV Hispania in Britain. Mostly they were known by the names of their cohorts, so - from Britain we find I Brittanica cR eq and I britanorum cR, I Flavius Brittonum eq, I Ulpia Britonum in Dacia,I Aelia Brittonum and III Britanorum in Raetia and Noricum, VI Brittonum in Germania Inferior etc. - and we find hundreds of inscriptions around the empire with tribal/provincial affiliations far away from their homelands..

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The relevance of the Roman Empire being, of course, that the Caesars as a rule had been trained to use the Dark Side of the Force and bend the very forces of reality to their will. :p :D

only one kenobi likes this.
  6. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012
    The relevance really being, the sense it makes to minimise the chance of rebellion by removing most of the potential rebellions, and make them a part of the machinery for implementing order in the Empire. Just as the Romans did.

7. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    I mentioned this earlier, but anyway,

Obi Wan, "That boy was our last hope"
    Yoda, "No, there is another"

They were both present at the birth yet only Yoda is aware of/has faith in Leia?

8. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013

Even before the prequels, I always thought he was just reminding Obi-Wan. Like, "Hey, don't forget about the girl."

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    From a real-world perspective...

By this point in writing, Luke and Leia were not siblings, and Yoda was not referring to Leia as "the other". According to Lucas, he had put this in to refer to the unknown hero of the ST (The original ST, not the one we're getting now) as a sort of Deus-Ex-Machina.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    It's just more evidence that Lucas had no "Master Plan" for Star Wars and was just making stuff up as we went along.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  11. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Sometimes the posts from posters defending every single aspect of the PT make me wonder if Lucasfilm hires and pays people to defend the Prequels on the internet.

12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    That can be a good and a bad thing though, right? I mean, the idea that Vader was Anakin wasn't set in stone during ANH's production, I imagine, but I think it's probably one of people's favorite plot twists of all time. (I certainly like the idea, at least). So I guess it would depend more on how it's handled?

I wish this were true. I could make a buttload of money talking about movies that I love. Sadly, though, I've never received a check in the mail. Such is life...

:_|

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I ask myself the same question about people who defend Republicans online. Then again, a lot of them probably are plants, either from GOP leadership or Fox-style news outlets, but there's no reason they can't be paid and true believers at the same time.

14. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Lewis Black sums up my beliefs about our two party system perfectly.

"The Republicans are a party of bad ideas, and the Democrats are a party of no ideas"

But, lets not discuss politics on the Star Wars forums. If you would like to, start a conversation.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Lets keep the politics to the Senate.

16. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Let's watch the personal remarks-mod

George Lucas may not have had a 'master plan' for the OT but he did have HIS plan and that seemed to work out ok in the end didn't it??

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say this thread's about done. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.