main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney dare remake the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Why fix something that ain't broke?

kainee and Son of a Bith like this.
  2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Perhaps someday, loooooooong after the ST and any other spin off movies are done

4. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    They could soooooo remake the prequels.

With someone who could actually write dialogue, actors who could act, and a director who would LET them.

We can only dream.

Olivia493 likes this.
  5. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Got any links?=P~

6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Not allowed to link fan edits without getting ban/locked. :(

7. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The way I see it, Star Wars is a very different film when compared to other big film franchises like any of the superhero films, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and James Bond. All of those franchises have been rebooted/retold or have the potential to be rebooted in the future.

Star Wars is different, because unlike any of those other franchises, it began as a film. It's not based on a book or a comic book or anything like that. Star Wars in its most original form is a film, while most other big film franchises in their most original forms are books or comic books.

To me, thats what makes Star Wars different and thats what makes the films untouchable when it comes to the potential for a remake or a reboot. Rather than being replaced with an entirely new version, at most Star Wars is given the Special Edition treatment. The Special Editions are pretty much the closest we'll get to a remake.

Rather than remakes and reboots, Star Wars should be (and will be) expanded upon with new episodes and side-stories (non-saga films and TV shows). But never going back and remaking the OT. There would be no point, as every other piece of star wars media goes to such lengths to tie in with the OT.

---

On the subject of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, as examples, those are franchises that did an incredible job making movies that just might be the quintessential film versions of those stories. However, given that the books are the real end-all telling of the stories, there is always room for future adaptations. In fact, as much as I like the Harry Potter films, I think the story could easily be retold in the future either as a live action film or as an animated series. There was just so much cut from the books that could be included in a reboot/remake series.

James Bond is another prime example. The film series is fantastic, but I'd imagine a rebooted franchise that adapts every novel, in order, would be a really exciting film series. It may take 100 years to happen, but its a viable option.

8. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    I hope not cause the OT is the best and no need for a remake or a reboot. It is fine the way it is.

9. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    A guy can only hope.

10. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    The remaking old movies trend is getting old. People need to come up with fresh ideas instead of relying on old ones.

Revious Nugo and Zane the Reaper like this.
  11. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    2 cents: Hopefully, no, and hopefully we'll never see a "special edition" again either.

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2013
    Disney is not afraid to reboot a classic, as they have with some of thier own. I could see part of thier plan to reboot SW trilogy in the future, say 10-15 years time, to re-energize the franchise for new generational market. It might be stipulated in the contract with Lucas, that the original trilogy would never be infringed upon or remade, that's possible.

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't think a star wars remake will ever happen. You can't remake something so big.

14. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm sure at some point in the future they will all be remade. Anything is possible in the land of Hollywood. Money runs the show.

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd love to see them remake the classic trilogy but in another format. Leave the films (that is, the various editions) as is. I'd love to see them do a trilogy of games that follow the journey of Luke Skywalker.

16. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    George Lucas has said that he'd never re-release the original theatrical versions of the OT because they don't represent his vision and they're basically like first drafts as far as he's concerned. Now I wonder whether Disney, which doesn't have any emotional investment in the issue the way George does, might at some point release a "Limited Archival Edition" of the original versions for the simple reason that Disney like money?

I have no particular stake in the Special Editions vs Originals debate - I got into Star Wars in the DVD era so the Special Editions are what I'm used to - but it's an interesting question.

17. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Anything is possible with Disney.

BigAl6ft6 and Seagoat like this.
  18. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Why spend $100m each remaking them when they can get free money releasing the 4k Super Bluray versions in 5-10 years time?

19. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Disney, please remake the films and make them ten times better and more exciting and shocking.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Order66

Order66 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    At some point SW will go into the public domain so anyone will be able to remake Star Wars. At that point, Disney will undoubtedly re-boot SW because they don't have to worry about any of the details. They can change plot points, keep costumes and ship designs. Others who re-do SW will have to reconceptualize everything except the plot. Why wouldn't Disney want to eventually make money from a re-boot? It gets to keep its cake and eat it too.

Public domain wouldn't kick in for something like 50 after the death of Lucas. (though I always read conflicting dates when it comes to conglomerates like Disney)

Whether anyone likes/loves/hates the re-boot...well, that's a different issue.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  21. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    They won't remake the OT, but they will make movies set in that era with different actors playing the same characters (the ST type of reboot).
    I can see them making a Solo (solo) movie with an actor in his twenties playing young Solo. Make it a flashback story and they can have Ford in the prologue/epilogue (a passing of the torch, so to speak). If the replacement Solo is well received by fans, then they can make Episodes 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 with all the roles recast. This will happen.

22. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    GL may have written it into the purchasing agreement that the films can't be remade.

From what I've heard, it seem to be dictated contractually that the new films have to follow his outlines, so I would presume that GL made sure not to overlook a big thing like never re-making the first 6 films. He probably also has it written in that they can't release versions of the orginal Saga films that he doesn't approve of, like the Han shot 1st version of SW.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please, no reboot or remake of ANY of the six existing SW movies.

[​IMG]

Revious Nugo and kainee like this.
  24. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    I concur. Certain 'protection' will be included in the contract. I would be surprised if the contract states that there cannot be a reboot. However, I would expect that it would state that there cannot be a reboot for a specified number of years, and if there is a reboot, characters and plot points must be retained.

This is all conjecture though, I guess we will just have to wait and see

kainee likes this.
  25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The horror just thinking about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.