main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah...even I know the difference between DC and Marvel... :p

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    No, see, calling the heroes "parallel universe" heroes is misleading - the crazy universe where Kal-El goes nuts and completely off the deep end is the parallel, the one where everyone's pretty sane and normal is the normal one. Like that JL episode where they meet the Justice Lord versions of themselves and gradually convince them - starting with Batman, duh, because he's the best - that they're going too far.

By far the biggest mistake of the game's plot (which is better than the tie-in comic's plot and writing, but that's a pretty easy thing to do) is that there are two Batmans in the same universe - not two guys wearing two batsuits, two of the exact same Batman - and the story doesn't immediately resolve. No one bothers to think, "Crap, there are two of them now." Plus, Batman being held prisoner is like the oldest trick in the JL book. How do you stop the Justice League from just wrecking your stuff? Incapacitate Batman. Grant Morrison even writes Batman playing with full God Mode and uses that trope, and even then it's just a matter of time before Batman escapes and messes stuff up royally for the villains.

But still, glad they got the voice cast from the DCAU (although Hamill would've been nice to see as Joker again) to voice everyone. Fun fact: Jayne is GL and Wash is GA, and they don't seem to get any awesome buddy cop moments. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ramza likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, think of it this way - it's definitive evidence of your point. :p

4. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I know what the difference is! I just get confused at times :p Especially with the string of both Marvel and DC movies.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Because DC hates their best superhero team.
    [​IMG]

Edit: And on a related note, today marks 75 years of my favorite superhero - Superman! Presumably he should be really old now, though hopefully not sporting John Byrne's.... interesting decision with regards to old!Supes hairdo.

[​IMG]

Penguinator likes this.
  6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Hey, I like Injustice.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think it's a fun, well-presented game, but it doesn't change the fact that the narrative is a hilarious mess :p

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which is impressive considering they brought two of DC's best writers on for consultation. Although, knowing Gray and Palmiotti, it's entirely possible said consultation went something like:

Writer 1: So we're thinking of having Superman punch somebody.
    Gray: Punch somebody?! He should shoot them with his trusty six shooter.
    Palmiotti: I can see it now: Jonah Hex is staring down the bandit, his good eye squinting in the harsh sunlight-
    Writer 2: But we're not talking about J-
    Gray: BLAM! The rapport from Hex's gun echoes in the town streets - the bandit drops dead!
    Writer 1: I don't think that-
    Palmiotti: But then it turns out the bandits were working for the sheriff the entire time - the town's a protection racket!
    Gray: Great stuff! Then Amadeus Arkham shows up, and he's all-

Penguinator likes this.
  9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Ugh my dad pinches Lincoln so hard he screams. Spent the day with him cleaning up the barn and building a storage bin for the horse food. It's bloody hot down here and so when we're done I ask him if we can get water. He stops and tells me he wants a bottle and I'm like 'Dude I don't have a bloody income and you're making *me* buy the water just cause I asked for it? Not cool."

Edit: is Injustice worth getting and on which platform? I have all consoles and a PC, obviously.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Damn it, Cartoon Network, you cancel Young Justice right after you introduce Darkseid?

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "YEP." - CN Executive

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    More than Darkseid, I wanted to see how the incredibly byzantine plot all worked out. The Light's strategic visionary must have been the same guy who developed the board game "Mouse Trap."

13. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    So I know I'm behind the times on this, but I finally started playing BioShock Infinite today. And.....[face_hypnotized]. I'm only at the beginning and I've already been sucked in....

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I still need to play regular old Bioshock. I actually own a copy - it was bundled with my copy of Oblivion, but actually sitting down and starting it is kind of [​IMG]

15. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I liked the first two Bioshocks (the first one being better imo) but I felt pretty indifferent when it came to Infinite; just wasn't interested in its latest world while Rapture had struck all kinds of interest and curiosity with me >.>

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Finished Wizard's First Rule, on to Pride and Prejudice.

It was ... stimulating. Though I'm really not sure where Goodkind was going with, oh, sixty-odd pages of BDSM inflicted on his main character. Most of that I really skipped over. The magic concepts, at least, were intuitive and locked together intuitively: all magic really does is amplify your intentions, and the only difference between good and evil magic (TM) is that good magic is additive, i.e. creative, while bad magic is subtractive, i.e. destructive. Possibly the best parts were that the main character doesn't completely get led around by the nose of the plot or magical NPC buddies, he actually can think for himself and does. That was I think the biggest subversion of standard fantasy fare. That, and the sort of loving focus on the precise ways in which a person gets dismembered that possibly even George Martin doesn't go to. Oh, and the fact that even Gandalf gets laid once in a while, with a swamp witch no less.

I also remember making one note while I was reading it, although I assure you with an eyebrow arched: to make your villain really vile, have him do horrible things to kids. Possibly it's because I'm a father, I don't know, but the elements that dealt with that left me awake, staring up at the dark ceiling of my bedroom, for a good hour or so. At least I didn't have any nightmares about it. Oh, and also have his best buddy do arguably even more horrible things to kids. I have to admit, I did find myself taking entirely inappropriate vicarious pleasure at the very bloody method of comeuppance dished out to Demmin in the end. As an observer said in the novel, and which I was nodding along with: "Now there's a woman who understands justice."

It didn't quite all lock together for me. Maybe because I've been on a rich diet of classics up 'til now, I don't know. Maybe it was just that it was a first novel or something. Lots of good bits, but not overall what I've have called really page-turning.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    My current working theory is that 100% of fantasy authors are perverts. I've yet to see a compelling counterargument. Comic books, blissfully, are decidedly free of such prurience.

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Nothing remotely sexual.

On an unrelated note, ugh, that feeling when you have to start a test in twenty minutes is agonizing.

18. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    Saintheart: I'm glad you were able to finish it. I think I've said this before, but the best novel in the series is Faith of the Fallen, but thats just me.

[​IMG]

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nonsense, they're nothing but wholesome entertainment, fit for the whole family.

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Wholesome.

Seriously though, Azzarello's run on Hellblazer is garbage, this arc was the only good part.

And on that kinky note, I'm off to take that aforementioned test.

20. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    [​IMG]

Haven't read Azzarello's run on Hellblazer myself. Honestly I just discovered that my library has the entire graphic novel run of Fables, so yeah, I'm going to be preoccupied with that for a while.

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Deadpool is such a mess, honestly - or at least he has been these past few years. Everyone focuses on the fourth wall stuff instead of the actual character.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Soon you, too, can complain about how the plot's stalled and they're milking it but you just keep on reading because... um... nobody knows. Fables fans have a curious sort of fickleness.

As I am on meal break, I'm pleased to say this test is either only of moderate difficulty or so hard I'm making simplifications I'm not allowed to make. Y'know, one of those.

23. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I read Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (up to Chainfire, I think, since the rest hadn't been released yet) when I was 14... pretty sure I've been scarred for life because of that. Agree with the above that Faith of the Fallen is the best in the series but it's a long slog to get that far. Luckily I was bored in high school and far ahead of my age group when it came to reading comprehension. I think I'd like to do a reread of the series now that I'm 20 and can perhaps read more deeply into it, but I don't think I have the attention span :p

Also, hi. I don't think I've stuck my nose in here before but meh decided why not.

24. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    Well, let me be the first to say welcome to Hooper's, where everything's made up and the points don't matter!

[​IMG]

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, except for the points you can acquire from having enough likes on your posts. We have a sophisticated trading system in place, indeed according to the Ramza Ontological Future Likes index (ROFL for short) I have already received about sixty likes just for this post alone. Disclaimer: past performance is no assurance of future returns.

Rebecca_Daniels and Ramza like this.