main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Thats whats excites me the most. His castings are almost always great so I hope they let him cast the movie instead of some studio head who would just want the latest big name star or even worse a tweenybooper person just to get the Twilight fans.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Looking at Disney with Marvel & Pixar, they truly are hands-off when it comes to that stuff on the creative side. They just throw cash at them and say "Come back with a great movie that will make lots of money. kthanxsbye." So I can't see them influencing that, and certainly not Abrams being influenced by that.

3. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Its not Disney I'm worried about TBH

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kathleen Kenedy? I can't see anyone in the Lucasfilm loop who would be pushing for a big, mainstream, tween-friendly crowd pleaser actor. Hell, if they tossed Jennifer Lawerence in there, some would cry because of Hunger Games hype but she's actually a pretty fantastic actress (who is also straddling two franchises at the moment, doubt she'll toss in a third)

Lee_ likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I just have MAJOR trust issues with them in the past and since they've played it safe with Abrams I'm worried they'll do it again with the cast. Though Lawrence would be awesome...as long as we get a scene like in "Silver Linings Playbook" where instead she just flips out at Luke for thinking she's crazy. "You know what...forget I offered to help you. Forget the entire idea. Cause that must have been crazy because I am so soo much crazier than you! I'm just the crazy jedi with the dead master. HAHAHHAHA! FORGET IT!". That...would be awesome. *I'm not gunna post the link here cause it has swearing*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Here is a very lengthy, very starkly presented, sternly worded letter to JJ Abrams ( http://www.openlettertojjabrams.net/ ) about how he has mishandled the integrity of Star Trek by putting in a rap rock song (multiple paragraphs on that) and disrespecting the history of Star Trek by adding a romantic relationship with Uhurah and Spock. Expect a lot of these types of missives to start heading his way from random Star Wars geeks as well in the coming years.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Ok, 2 points here.

1. This guy needs to get over his hatred of Hip Hop.
    2. Can someone direct me to the episode of Enterprise where T'Pol is in the shower. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Can't think of shower episode but Episode 1 S1 has hot, steamy decon room T'Pol.

Also, yes, his diatrabe against the (awesome) usage of "Sabotage" in Star Trek, but the whole genre in general, is really weird.

Overall, the the smug tone of superiority and entitlement that permeates every sentence in that letter gets really irritating rather quick. And there will probably be many many more of those.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Fully agree, they know what kind of expectations the world has for Episode 7; this is going to be a noble effort. If it does fail (or at least fail to meet expectations in general), it will not be because they did silly things like adding teeny bopper heroes. Justin Bieber will NOT get a part in it no matter how many times he asks.

I brought that up about Jennifer Lawrence when this discussion on Ep. 7 first got started, she is perfect in terms of being hot (in terms of popularity and relevance) and very talented; she is a perfect fit. Get her, and put Gary Oldman in as the evil Jedi/Sith, you have an unbeatable start on the new cast.

I think Brad Dourif, Rutger Hauer and Laurence John Fishburne are good choices too. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is asking to be in it, but that would be almost as dumb as putting Bieber in.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Rock actually isn't a bad actor. Maybe as a lead, nope, but he'd be a great secondary character. Various scum and villainy needs actors to populate it!

12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I'd love to see the Rock fight off dark Jedi with the power of his eyebrows.
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Out of all the wrestlers turned actors we've had over the years, I think the Rock is the best one there's been.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I remember fondly a comment on some site from a few years ago ( paraphrased ):

"They're still listening to Beastie Boys in 200 years? We don't even listen to that now!" [face_laugh]

I give you Trek fandom.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not that The Rock is a bad actor (personally, I like him just fine) it's that he's such a personality that I can't see him as any other character than The Rock. When I watch him I can't forge that I'm watching The Rock instead of character X. I don't mind that in some movies, but not Star Wars.

Lee_ and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If you have the patience for it, check out "Southland Tales". He's just a fidgety weirdo in that movie, there is a sheen of Rock cool but it shatters rather quickly. Very interesting performance. Also in "Snitch" that just came out he was basically playing a normal dad but his sheer intimidating physicality kinda worked against him in it but he was actually really good in it overall. Haven't seen "The Rundown" in forever but I remember he was quirky in that flick as well (should really watch it again).

Also, just to randomly spitball The Rock In A Star Wars movie, I dunno, Lando-ish style smuggler, or maybe supporting Darth Maul-esque dog-let-off-the-leash Sith Lord, or just a really nasty underground crime lord. Who would have a harem, obviously. Heck, any character the Rock played in a Star Wars movie would automatically have a harem!

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I've seen Southland tales.

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Surely you guys are joking about The Rock being good for SW, right?

Not to knock him in general, but I think there are a thousand better picks than ANY pro wrestler, The Rock included.

I mean this IS SW, where they have their of any actors they want. If you had the pick of any girlfriend you wanted, would you pick Rosanne Bar?

19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Huh....I could have sworn the title of this thread said "JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII" not "Should The Rock be in Episode 7?". So....Star Trek Into Darkness is coming out soon. I'm realy excited and if that movie sucks I say we all sacrifice him to the sarlacc pit and hire a clone to direct episode 7 :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Oh come on, the Rock was awesome in Be Cool. /not sarcasm

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That is scariest thing ever. Thank you in advance for giving me nightmares.

TreborSabreon and Lee_ like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think he might already be a clone. His original name was J. Abrams. :)

TreborSabreon and Darth Claire like this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, after seeing this video, I am now totally convinced The Rock should be in SW...... (back to 1991 for a moment)..... NOT!!!

I guess we all have our own vision of what SW should be. Nonetheless, I have the distinct feeling that when he gets a hold of JJ, and says, "Hey JJ, how about a part in Star Wars?" JJ will respond, "err... ummm... Gee Dwayne, how 'bout them Dodgers?"

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The Rock is too cloying and overbearing a presence to be in a SW ensemble cast.

TreborSabreon and Lee_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.