main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Abrams to Direct VIII and IX?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
  2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Better than Dave Filoni.

Pearlsaber, Chewgumma, spicer and 7 others like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He'll direct the Ahsoka spinoff.

Which I wouldn't see if someone paid me to go see it. Unless I really needed the money.

As far as Abrams, I suppose it depends on how successful Episode VII is under his direction but it makes sense to have the ST films run by the same director.

eht13, Krueger, Echo-07 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree. It seems like the new model for making multiple film franchises. You film one in to another, especially with release dates just two years a part.

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Attack of the headaches.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Based on the trend of things thus far he'll direct episode VII & VIII, then jump ship and direct the reboot of another franchise instead of directing episode IX. :p;)

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I suppose it would give a better sense of continuity in the "feel" of the films, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Thinking Abrams seems like a guy who likes having his fingers in many pies, and I'm sure Disney/Lucas would prefer him to focus on SW.

I guess we're now looking at 2 years between films rather than 3, but SW just seems like the director is so involved pre-production, during shooting, and then post-production/reshoots.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Something tells me he'll drop the third Star Trek for Star Wars VIII and IX.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Posts like this is how rumors get started. People making stuff sound like it is really happening when in fact it doesn't have an ounce of truth to it. Most people won't read your post closely enough to see the word wouldn't instead of won't. They will just see the line 'He'll direct the Ahsoka spinoff.'

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I've said right along I think Abrams will get first crack at the whole Trilogy.

I also think, with plans for spin-offs we could see guys like Vaughn and Whedon directing at least one film.

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't have an opinion on doing all 3, I have to see the first one he does and my opinion will be shaped from there. I can't comment on him doing more or something when i haven't even seen him begin

12. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Who wouldn't?

JainaSoloYJK and Krueger like this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Different director please

14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If VII is successful (which it most likely will be) and his directing gets praised then I think he'll definitely return. I could see him ditching a third Star Trek for VIII and IX.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm still hoping that Joss Whedon gets to direct one of the Episodes but if VII does well then I'm sure they'll ask him back. I'd prefer different directors though.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not my problem. I'm responsible for what my post actually says, not how people misread it.

As far as Joss Whedon...yes please.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Wouldn't shock me if Joss Whedon got a Star Wars Episode if Abrams decides not to come back. He's actually a likely candidate after 2015 as he briefly (and I mean briefly) considered Episode VII but put his commitment to The Avengers 2 first. If not, he's still a likely possibility for the second spinoff.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Haven't watched episode 7 yet. I'll let u know later.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Chris Nolan for Episode 8 and Peter Jackson for Episode 9. That is all.

spicer and Sean Sinclair like this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    More seriously I think she's a bit more 'cautious'with her wording than the op implies... seems more like something she's just considering in the back of her head but withholding judgement till she sees what JJ will do with their product, and as she stated she does have other people she is talking too.

I call it playing politicts... she has to sound supportive of JJ since she went out to hire him but at the same time cant place too much on his plate right now, and maybe other issues like deadline might hinder this. Plus if he messes up, she cant have already booked him for the next 2 films... so its best to just offere vailed hints that dont have to be done later and sound supportive of her choosen race horse atm.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I was hoping for 3 directors for each installment to get a different tone to each movie. But I suppose we're getting that with the spin-offs anyway. So why not, JJ's good enough to do all 3.

22. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    I hope he does all three. For the sake of consistency more than anything. Gives him the chance to work with a long term vision and build inter-movie plot points or character development better.

Otherwise it's going to feel a little disjointed as one director see's one character or plot a little differently to how the last did.

23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If they like him, they'll keep him on board, no doubt. If not...

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If they like him, they'll give him the option to stay on board. As far as I'm aware, he is not contracted for anything other than Episode VII, so even if he makes the best movie ever he doesn't have to return if he doesn't want to.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    According to a recent statement he made, he's always been a SW fan, but was honestly never a big Trek fan. I'd bet he'd be willing to give up the trek for the wars.