main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Lol the Stranger in Superhero Squad called Beta Ray "My Little Pony."
    There's no way Flash loses to My Little Pony.
    Unless it's Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash is a beast.

2. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Honestly I don't see how Spawn loses... I can only see a handful of people who can beat him in a heads up match. The decapitation loophole is as annoying as Juggernaut. Spawn has had his heart ripped out and he still wins the fight (clearly he doesn't need it).

3. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Wow. This place dies on the weekend.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Some of us are around, but can't argue with you. :p

I'm just waiting to see what Chim's got on Horseface and if Trimaj wants to make the case for Zoom, but I'm ready to roll if they're here tomorrow.

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    is there actually a point to arguing for zoom? if there's only one way to stop spawn, and zoom isn't really capable of doing that, then... what good does arguing actually do me? not to mention the lack of ability in defending against mental stuff?

6. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    A juiced-up Quicksilver outran Exodus' TP once.

It was crap and would never happen, and I blame Loeb. I've no proof Loeb wrote it, but I blame him anyway.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I mean, Zoom is no slouch. I thought the fight was close, probably edge to Spawn, but didn't want to make a call on it before you made your case, if you wanted to.

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if i'd ever, even once, actually swayed someone in this or the last draft, i might. but my ability to argue in this is... terrible, to put it mildly.

9. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Don't feel bad. Yak doesn't get respect either.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey, you got my vote for Zoom over Doomsday through your work on that one. That's not too shabby.

11. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I also thought zoom should win that one.

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    *shrugs* it's not just this one. i've never had much luck arguing in any draft.

it also doesn't help that i don't really see how zoom wins it. so i'd basically be pulling something out of my ***.

13. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Nor do I.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I didn't have much luck arguing back in the day, either. One Geo-Force vs. Cannonball match is the one that sticks out in my mind, in which I was completely dominated. I think it was either Mikaboshi or Shurron who took me to the woodshed on that one.

We can't all be Hokage_Kalar, I guess. :p

Alright, well I'll keep an eye out for Chim, I know that Beta Ray-Flash match is going to be close.

15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Maybe you guys just aren't very good at drafting.

16. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    That's just harsh!

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    What's the difference? You blaming your inability to argue a character's abilities or me blaming your(the general you, not anyone specifically) inability to draft a dominant team? I mean, what's more likely? Three other guys not seeing it the way you do, or you just looking at the wrong people?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    There's a reason I volunteered to judge and not GM. After Dennis Rodman failed to lead me to the playoffs in the Basketball Draft, my fragility hit a new low. Some dark times.

19. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Fair enough. Mid draft power rankings would be nice still.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll try to put something together tomorrow or Monday. Right now, I have to give the edge to Inty's team as top dog.

21. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Ridiculous.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    never really claimed to know what i was doing with this i don't think. but even when i've thought i had the better person in a match, didn't really seem like anyone else thought that. and whenever the judges definitely want arguments for a match, i still end up failing in the argument department. so it's probably a combination of both i can't draft worth **** and i'm just as bad at arguing.

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I mean, okay, look at Shirley as an example of a dominating force at the GM position. Sure, he's a silver tongued devil, but is he winning because of that or because his team is just better? I say, for the most part, it's because he has the right guys, and the reason his arguments are usually successful is because of that fact. Sure, sometimes he's stolen away a win, granted. But you're not winning because of how much you will a character to. You didn't fail to convince the judges to vote for your character, your chsracter's performance failed to win the day. Maybe you're just betting on the wrong horse is all I'm saying. I don't believe the majority of wins come from a gm's performance after the tenth round, with some exceptions.

24. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Well I did go undefeated in a draft and lost in the finals to silver tongued fan favorite and bad luck. It does happen.

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    For sure it does. Hopefully not this time.

Which Is kind of why I dislike the term "arguments", because that supposes that the gm's should be bickering about how their character can win against x opponent(which, believe me, I'm very guilty of doing--moondragon vs. annihilus anyone?). I think, instead, you should look at it like a presentation. Just present your character and his abilities to the panel and move on. Don't lose sleep over it if they vote the other way. I mean, really, no need to beat yourself up about it. You had a good time selecting your team and presenting their case and that should be the end. If you win that's a bonus.

I've let myself get pretty caught up in these things, but I think the most fun I've had was when I purposefully drafted unknown properties and just introduced them. I definitely gave up the win, but drafting Jaime Reyes was one of the best times I had with these things.

heels1785 likes this.