main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should ep VII (or a VI - VII intermediate series) address the Endor Holocaust issue?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Valkyrus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    For those not familiar, the Endor Holocaust is the theory that the Alliance victory at Endor essentially doomed the Ewoks, because they blew apart a dense metallic structure the size of Ceres in low orbit over the planet, and, well... Physics. The result should be a K/T level event (or worse) on Endor.

The theory arose among the online community, on boards like Sb.com or Mike Wong's site, and the usenet forums, before eventually making an EU appearance in one of the comics, where the EH was painted as Imperial propaganda, and it was asserted that the Alliance averted it in some way.

I think it would be neat to see some reference in the forthcoming movies / tv series, with some kinda exposition on what the alliance actually did to preserve Endor and the Ewoks.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Prefer it goes out of its way to instagate a Gungun holocaust

..Or better yet have the Gungans all go to Endor to save the Ewoks, but have JarJar mess it up and doom them all.[face_dancing]

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Um... what... no.

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    The wookies should take them in!

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Good idea, they do need a good source of protein to grow up big and strong. :p;)

6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    umm...no? Why would they need to? They got more important stuff to deal with

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I suppose the technology of the GFFA is much too advanced for something like that to be a problem.. IMO it would be relatively easy to fix.. besides, they would not have been celebrating on the surface of Endor after the battle that destroyed the DS2 if they feared space debris might be falling on them at any moment..

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Space debris is very pretty landing on particle shields. It just makes the party even more of a cant miss.

9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Watch them blame it on them taking away their Golden God and not the falling debris coming down due to gravity though 8-}

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    God, I hope not. The last thing we need to do is to start humoring the stardestroyer.net crowd. They represent the very worst of sci-fi fandom.

13. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    My guess is they won't cover it, and I'm 100% happy about that. Is it a violation of physics? Yep. But then so is most of Star Wars.

A guide book (I believe it was Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy) said that the Rebels set up shield generators on Endor to protect against the debris. That's good enough for me.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    After the Battle of Endor, you would imagine the Alliance would have left them in peace. Even though it wasn't emphasized in words in any part of the movie, I had always thought that was one of the reasons the Ewoks were willing to help the Rebels in the first place — to rid their world of these invaders and be left alone. I hated how they stuck around in the Marvel Comics, too. That was plain silly, if you ask me.

I wish they would have shown the damage the Imperials were doing to their world while robbing it of its valuable resources, or even shown the Ewoks being used as slaves. It was one of the biggest flaws of ROTJ. And because Lucas never clearly tells us why they would even bother siding with the Rebels, it also doesn't explain why they had set up weapon defenses before hand. If Lucas wanted to add anything to the OT, that should have been one of the things.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd be OK with them retconning the DS2 back to its "original" size.

Add in the hyper matter reactor sucking in most of the matter- with only a bit exploding. The novel Death Star suggests that something similar is what happens when planets are targeted by the superlaser- so the reactor might work the same way.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wasn't aware of the DS2's size ever changing.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No. It's fanwank at its worst, and they're better off just ignoring it, even if Endor appears again for some reason.

18. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I will leave it to Star Trek to explain things and overanalyze the effects of actions. Thats why I always preferred Star Wars. DON'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.

19. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Its not hard SciFi...space operas rarely (if ever) explain the physics, engineering, or fallout of the technologies. and to answer your query, no I want 2 hours + worth of starwarsy goodness...not the after effects of space debri.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Haha never thought about any of this...

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Alliance should go back to Endor & " wipe them out all of them "...........

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, since we seem to want to apply science to Star Wars... we should start with the true beginning of the end... the ability of the Rebellion to create fire in space in the first place. Fire. In space.

23. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    "...the Endor Holocaust is the theory that the Alliance victory at Endor essentially doomed the Ewoks, because they blew apart a dense metallic structure the size of Ceres in low orbit over the planet, and, well... Physics. The result should be a K/T level event (or worse) on Endor."

Wouldn't this have happened when everyone was partying?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In early EU material (everything till 2006 or so) sources that mentioned the Death Stars' sizes, put them as 120 km for the DS1 and 160 km for the DS2.

This was consistant with the RoTJ novel saying that the DS2 was "nearly twice as big" as the DS1 (as in, would have been twice the volume, when complete)

Then, materials based on Curtis Saxton's Star Wars Technical Commentaries (such as the Incredible Cross Sections books) retconned it- so the DS1 was 160km and the DS2 900 km.

This is ... less consistant with that novelization statement.

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Never knew it was an issue