main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Not THAT kind of scorpion.....

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Oh, well. It was just a thought... [face_beatup]

OBLIVION

I don't know how to describe this mess. If Tom Cruise wants to make the ultimate intellectually gauche science fiction film,
    why doesn't he just dress up like a lizard and produce Enemy Mine II?

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    bummer

Oblivion, After Earth, Pacific Rim, Elysium, Ender's Game

The sci fi genre really needs a couple of these movies to succeed.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Watching the Addams Family Movie. So great.

Champion of the Force likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oblivion- Pretty good. 70's bleak hard-ish scifi by way of 80's scifi spectacle and synth-ish score.

The drones were particularly brutal given the rating. Jaime Lannister seemed extraneous though- and the movie would have been better if we hadn't known Miogan Freeman was in it ahead of time (but that would have been impossible to market...).

Overall, a nice change of pace. The one larger twist is easy to anticipate but there's another significant twist that's still a surprise.

I often describe the senses evoked by Tron Legacy as noble and nostalgic. While Oblivion has a thread of nostalgia also (of honoring the loss of the past versus Legacy's restoring the past/fighting what that past has become), it's more about an odd mix of yearning and contentment.

However I can't be the only one who thought the director had probably hoped to bring Olivia Wilde over to this movie after Tron Legacy, given the female lead resemblance...

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Django Unchained.

The D is silent, hillbilly.

:D

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'The Town That Dreaded Sundown', a low budget 70's drive in flick about a hooded serial killer who stalks his prey in Texarkana. It owes a great deal to the far superior 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' as it tries to emulate it's docudrama tone to not much success. It has some great moments because the killings are genuinely frightening but the plot has no coherence and the acting is bad even for a film like this.

8. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of a departure for Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island to The Town that Dreaded Sundown, isn't it.

9. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Contact

One of the best movies if you ask me. Definitely my favorite first contact with aliens movie.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Seconded. Contact is a great movie.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "First rule of government spending: why build one, when you can have two, twice the price? They still want an American to go, Doctor- feel like taking a ride?"

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I was offered a free ticket to see Oblivion last night. So obviously, I went. Great visuals, but little under the surface. Pacing was all out, too. Still, I did spot Jaime Lannister. :p

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Just saw Oblivion, too. Must be seen on a big screen, IMAX preferably. Decent story, but was more of an homage to those 70's scifi movies like Logan's Run than anything. I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Altered States

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)

This was a really good film. A sort of character piece examining men and their legacies as fathers, showing how the consequences of their actions inevitably affect their children. I have to say, the trailers were very good at concealing a major plot twist, which I won't give away here. But it was a good story, very multifaceted.

All of the acting was top notch. Bradley Cooper really shows his range with films like this and Silver Linings Playbook. Ryan Gosling was great, and I really liked Ben Mendelsohn. Ray Liotta was good, as was Eva Mendes. And the film looked great too. Schenectady was a great setting.

Kind of an aside, but I think the poster looks kinda weird. Gosling looks like someone straight out of the US Civil War for some reason. :p

Bacon164 likes this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Same here. Saw it in IMAX and it was fun. It had kind of a "Moon" flavor about it, though that's not what made it great. What was great, imho, was that it was like being immersed in a dystopian Maxfield Parrish painting. It was pure candy for the eyes and ears.

Qui Gon Jim23 likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Robin Hood, the Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe version. Not an absolutely horrible movie but, eh, meh.

18. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Atlas Shrugged Part II
    It was more engaging and felt like it dragged on less than part I

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Best part about that movie was the credits. I'm not even kidding, those credits were great.

20. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    carlos miniseries

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I caught a glimpse of them. Not sure if part of them were hinting at a sequel or something but I think we'll be better off without one.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Much better on DVD than in theaters. The battles didn't look like they were on fast forward.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looper (2012)

Caught this On Demand. I really liked it, really liked the concepts it tackled and thought it used time travel in a really cool, creepy way. Parts reminded me of The Terminator and its first sequel, about changing the past vs accepting fate, and I liked how these impacted the characters, especially JGL's character. Time travel was a means of character growth, and raised a lot of questions on morality and ends justifying means.

The acting was good all around; even the kid who played Cid. I imagine he'll go down as one of those kid actors in the league of the girl from the Exorcist and Haley Joel Osment from The Sixth Sense. I liked the future setting. It was clearly futuristic (duh), but also seemed like a realistic look at our future, more akin to Blade Runner than, say, I, Robot. The time travel stuff was a little wibbly wobbly, but at least it was fairly consistent.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Dark Knight Rises.

I liked this one better than The Dark Knight. I liked the references to Batman Begins, including the reappearance of Liam Neeson. I also found Bane to be a much more interesting villain than the Joker, and I liked the symbolism of Bruce Wayne "rising" from the prison of depression. The ending was really sad and profound, and I wonder what DC will do with Robin now that he's been introduced.

And I am soooo coming back as Catwoman in my next life. You heard it here first.

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Prometheus. I didn't think it was as stupid as most people found it, but I found it to be rather "meh". Noomi Rapace's character must've had ovaries of steel to undergo that Cesarian in that machine.

Also, what was up with the bandage-wrap underwear she and Charlize Theron wore? Was Weyland Industries too cheap to spring for Hanes or Fruit of the Loom?

CloneUncleOwen and heels1785 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.