main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I ask because I want a good discussion on the pros, and cons of each option.

How would they affect his character in the ST?

kainee likes this.
  2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I don't want him to be a bachelor or widowed or divorced (I don't think Divorce exists in GFFA). I dislike the idea of Luke being a hermit like Obi-Wan. Technically, Leia's children would skywalker heirs, but they would have the SOLO last name. I want Luke to have an heir to the legacy of the skywalker name does not END at him.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I want him married. It would keep him more grounded and humane than the Jedi of the old order. Also I doubt he would be very happy as a loner. Luke was always a rather social person, extrovert.

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Have her married to Mara Jade; disregard her death in the EU.

Jarren_Lee-Saber, Rew, kataja and 5 others like this.
  5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Luke's a girl? :p

plaidphoenix likes this.
  6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    No Mara Jade... maybe and 'old flame'* could crop up (Obi-Wan/Santine kinda thing) but single.

*Nothing wrong with Luke getting his groove on, but any woman involved with a Jedi Master would have to understand that (as one of my own characters put it,) 'he has sand in his boots, and doesn't stay in any one place for too long'..

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Stunning new plot twist. I like it.

8. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Ah ****, why can't I find the edit button?

kainee and Ryus like this.
  9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm really torn on this. If they want to do another "paternity shock" then I say have Luke be single *obviously he's been with women before* and have it be a twist to reveal the new hero *who we first thought was not related* is actually his kid. If not then I say let him be married and have the wife's death be some real sad tear-jerker that just pisses off him and the new hero which causes them both to want to kick the villains' ass. :p

10. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    If Luke has a kid, then he pretty much has to be married. It'd feel weak for his wife to have come and gone between films without us seeing that.

Acceptable substitute: Luke being widowed if the EU is kept completely intact. But even then, that would just be out of my desire to keep the EU, and not for the good of the film.

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I really don't want Luke to be a hermit, either. I think the best way to show the difference between the New Jedi Order and the Old Jedi Order is by throwing out the no attachments rule. Considering how Luke was raised, I can see him wanting a family of his own.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Civil union

JediKnightOB1 and Sith-Mullet like this.
  13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see him married with Mara Jade. Really hope they don't have some other wife in the movie.

14. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Having Like married or at least in love would be a good way to show how wrong the old Jedi were...

-C

15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Same here. If the old Jedi allowed marriage and love, perhaps Anakin wouldn't have turned to the dark side, and you wouldn't have 66'd Aayla Secura's arse...

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Clearly the most responsible thing for Luke to do if he wants to rebuild the Jedi is to embrace polygamy.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely no Mara. I just finished reading a Luke/Mara scene in a book that I love, except for that scene, which has left me wanting brain bleach. If I get a film version of how strong and brave that woman is and how her niece and nephews and husband and sister-in-law all think she's so strong and brave...I'll throw popcorn at the screen.

I don't care if Luke is married or not, but I hope he gets laid once in awhile, because he deserves it.

I could see him too busy rebuilding the Order to have kids.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I'd be fine with any of those options as long as it serves the character and the story well, except for maybe divorced. For some reason I don't like the idea of that in a Star Wars movie. I'm not sure why.

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Single.

Bob Octa and FRAGWAGON like this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I go with the EU he was married but she died , they had a son ( Ben ) that is now learning the ways of the force.......

DARTHSHAME and Jedi_Lover like this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I completely agree! I also agree that Luke should have children that will carry on the Skywalker name for future Star Wars films. I want to continue to follow a SKYWALKER into the future.

And I want Luke's Order to be different from the Old Jedi Order. I want the New Jedi Order to be allowed to marry and have children.

Leia will likely be a Jedi too, so if there is a no-attachments rule, then she wouldn't be able to marry Han and have children either.

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Luke x Mara... retconning her EU death. Throw a bone to the anti-Mara crowd and have her slightly less of a Mary Sue with endless praise, though in movies your not meant to hear peoples thoughts so this would likely happen to atleast some degree regardless.

The Skywalker name IMHO must carry on and a wife is the only way to do this, on top of that I want to see the father son theme carried on and in stark contrast to Vader and Luke (more than one kid is fine by me, and same goes for him having a daughter too). Next off as repeatedly stated by others it also would show great contrast between the old Jedi order and the New Jedi Order, which I feel is essential if Star Wars is to try to get back inline with what most audience members precieve as differences between the OT and the PT. I being a Family story is imho one of the big things that will truly ensure the ST is crowd pleasing since it will be a universal theme and thus give it a chance to earn the top money making film ever, like Star Wars (ep IV) did ages ago.

kainee, Rew, Jedi_Lover and 4 others like this.
  23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Luke seemed very wise by Return of the Jedi, as he was beginning to embrace the old Jedi ways. From what we're shown in the prequels, this would mean letting go of his connections to others (no wife). Yoda was hinting at this as well in Empire.

Though George could have planned it to be the opposite; repressing emotions was the downfall of Anakin Skywalker, so perhaps Luke might take a different approach.

kainee and appleseed like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin's problem was that he was an emotional person and had attachment issues due to leaving his mother so young, not due to anything the Jedi Order did.

That said, I'm not sure there is anything inherently wrong with Jedi having families, provided that they are capable of putting "the greater good" before individuals, including family members.

I also don't think it's "throwing a bone to the anti-Mara crowd" to make her less of a Mary Sue.

kainee likes this.
  25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Married or windower yes

I don't want Luke to be Obi-Wan Kenobi 2.0, I want him to be Luke Skywalker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.