main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I think, if anything, Vector Prime should be the point of divergence from the sequel trilogy.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well aside from Thrawn Thrawn, Isard and Zzinji no one else was really interesting.
    The NJO was billed as a game changer but the rest after that just keep chugging on. It gets old after a while.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Jax in the sequels? Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that!

As for the sequels causing massive changes to series canon, I'll just once again fall back on that trusty mantra: "Girl in Lover's Lane".

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And the people in the core would be extremely afraid that the Vong would attack them as well, especially considering how the Vong traveled closer and closer to the core.

By the way, even after Fondor the NR politic was extremely passive.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Probably because it was a terrific defeat and the New Republic all but collapsed.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yet Kyp Durron is able to dish out a lot of damage with a pretty small force.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I've always been in a dilmema here, NJO is a great place to cut the EU but parts of NJO where epic and finally made me start worrying about characters again. Star by Star and The Unifying Force where two of my all time fav Star Wars books (though I havent finished my reread of NJO, I started rereading all the EU stuff after Disney bought LFL looking for good places to cut and keep and thus far just havent reread those two books, so am unsure if I'll enjoy them as much as I did a decade ago).

Dark Nest is just horrible, LotF had some good parts but quality declined in the series rather sharply after the first few, in FotJ I liked the idea of the lost tribe of the sith and Ben and Allana... but for the most part they where pretty low quality books.

Also while I really like the idea of just a big cut in one place on, I cant help but wish some of KJA's hack writing couldnt be 'fixed' (*cough* darksaber and just get rid of Lando x Mara, why bother retconning it in HoT... so just cut it all together.), or just cutting Twilight Planet/CotJ/Crystal Star

7. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Star By Star is my least favorite NJO book TBPH. Especially when it spent like three pages after Anakin's death basically saying all capacity for hope and light had just died blah blah the galaxy is now completely grimdark blah blah everything's futile blah blah blah.

It's just... depressing. It's what set the tone for the later EU, where things just get darker and darker as time goes on.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I predict that the GFFA is ultimately destroyed somehow, killing everything except for Luke.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, when Star by Star came out I was going through a dark books are awesome phase which I kinda still havent grown out of :p, which might explain why I liked it then. As stated though I'm rereading all the EU books atm (and jumping around like crazy with them, so for example read 3 NJO then another book or two then back to NJO) but anyways not up to Star by Star yet. I'll keep your opinion in mind when I read it again but at the same time the book was the conclusion to the dark second act of the series, so it was supposed to be as dark as possible. Honestly though I dont think NJO will be done by Disney since NJO is just too logical a place to cut the EU, so this convo is kinda moot.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW and the post-NJO are also exceptions, the Clone Wars already had a perfectly valid timeline before TCW and its tie-ins came along and rewrote the war, and the post-NJO has no real ties to the rest of the universe. We only need a break to "bring sanity and compassion" back to the continuity of the Clone Wars and the depressing nature of the post-NJO.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As far as I can see, he harried a few convoys but didn't achieve anything to materially slow down the invasion until Sernpidal, with the aid of a New Republic task force. In his own words in Rebirth, as I recall.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And the NR could easily have created other such task forces to go on the offense.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Wouldn't you say, though, that the darkness the NJO hit around its midpoint only made the end shine brighter, if you'll forgive the cliche? I still haven't read the NJO, so everything I know about it is hearsay, but I have peeked at the old boards, and popular opinion seemed to be that the NJO's ending would be as dreary and depressing as its beginning. Instead, they got an unambiguously happy ending (that later books decided to overturn, but I'm not touching that), where the heroes are allowed to Storm the Castle and kick bad guy ass.

It definitely feels like something when you can make a fanbase genuinely surprised, yet excited, that a Star Wars story will end happily. I feel one way the post-NJO EU went wrong was trying to make it even darker, when the whole point of the NJO was to bring out heroes down so that they could climb back up again. You don't just knock them back down and leave them buried alive, as the ending of LOTF did.

Valin__Kenobi and Zorrixor like this.
  14. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That is let's-start-a-dictatorship talk. [face_shame_on_you]

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

16. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    That's exactly the point. The NJO had a pretty happy ending yeah, but after five in universe years of everything being horrible, trillions dead, entire planets rendered uninhabitable, the entire galaxy changed for the worse forever. And then.... things just continue to get worse and worse with each successive series and, oh, look at that, Fate of the Jedi says Anakin didn't even rebalance the Force and everything's mired in darkness again and getting progressively worse.

They made it explicit in story that things are just going to continue to get worse.

...yeah, I'd be fine losing all of this. :p

xezene, Ryus, Darth_Foo and 2 others like this.
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I'm not disputing that after the NJO the galaxy decided to crawl into a dark corner and never come out ;)

18. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm saying it sort of started with the NJO. It killed off a vast swathe of interesting characters, irrevocably altered the entire galaxy, wiped out a few species, rendered entire planets uninhabitable, and it was the starting point for this fixation on all things dark in Star Wars. And I don't see why it's as popular as it is.

Unless there are people out there who, unlike me, like reading in-depth passages on what it's like to be tortured, seeing beloved characters bite it left and right, and basically watching everything you grew up on ground into the dirt over the course of multiple IRL years... o_O

Random Comments likes this.
  19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I haven't read the majority of NJO. But if your a SW lit buff Star By Star and Traitor are must reads. I've always said that one doesn't truly understand the Force until one has read Traitor..several times.

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    There's an invasion, billions of citizen are dead and the senate can barely get their asses off the couch to strike back

guess you don't realize that what happens in the core world or even in mid rim, is a distant thought to what goes on in the outer rim and unknown regions, and vice versa. Plus it was made clear in the novels that the senate's reaction to Leia was based on politics, and their need to be right. To me this is not unrealistic.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You are talking about an invasion by extragalactic aliens like it is some common event. It is not. If Peru were attacked by a giant horde of bigfoots I think the US populace would be pretty afraid.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yet the senators never saw a single vong alive for themselves. There are lots of myths and stories out of the outer rim, and why should they care its a million miles away. If anyone but Leia brought this info then maybe it would have been investigated, but everyone was so afraid she wanted power.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Oh, c'mon. That's ridiculous with hyperspace communication in place.

Plus what the Vong are doing is planet annihilation, not just killing a colony or two. It is power on par with the frigging Death Star.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, the Death Star, that Rebel superweapon that doesn't exist. [face_shame_on_you]

Don't believe the Rebels lies! The Empire protects!

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    In Darth & Droids they call it the "Peace Moon". :D